Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gifts

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christmas Gifts

Okay you Leica junkies, your thinking i am going to ask what you got as a gift from Santa . WRONG. I know you folks to well. The real question is what did you buy yourself for Christmas. Yea i know you sneaky ones out there.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Christmas Gifts

Gitzo and Acratech head.
    The wate that I got with my 30% deal (meant for resale) that I can't seem to part with.

Digital Dude

Talking Re: Christmas Gifts

Well Guy,
    Still waiting on my custom Fogg b-laka bag from France and the Leica (silver) viewfinder. Sounds pretty skimpy, although I’m still recovering from my initial M8 w/28-‘cron and accessories that I spent in Nov-Dec. However, my 50-'lux and 21-'El isn't far behind ~ I hope ~
    Regards,
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 24th December 2007 at 06:59.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well at first I thought it was my 28 cron
    Then I told myself it was the Gitzo + RRS
    Now I've convinced myself that it was the 21 elmarit
    Perhaps my friends and family will decide that it is a trip to the insane asylum.

Do I hear CV12????? There really are a few more hours left and B&H is dangerously close.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A trip to Utah!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best gift you can buy a trip to Moab.

Terry just get the 12mm.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yea, that and a pair of Yak Trax

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got my son a Canon 40D, and gave him my 24-105.
    have a contax 24-85 on it's way, he he.

wparsons

I've started a new milk bottle -- $200 a month -- for the Fast Wide Prime that I know Leica wants to make for me.

Also planning to take pix! Way too much of this computer crap in my life.

Regards to all,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    yea, that and a pair of Yak Trax
    I should explain about those

There are two or three trails that you may want to take that ice up in the snow. If you know ahead of time, you wont want to do those treks, then they (and the pole) are probably not necessary. But they make nice stocking stuffers anyway

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that as an early Christams present to myself I traded in my two week old 28mm f2.8 asph plus cash against a mint used 28mm f2 asph.

After buying the 28 f2.8 asph i realised that i would rather have speed than small size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eric:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new acquisition! I can tell you that you choose wisely The 28 Cron alongside my 50 Lux are my #1 lenses.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

cadmium red

I can't quite muster the nerve to buy the 21mm 2.8,,,,,so I am on the merry go round with the zeiss 18 or 21......jus feeling the need to go wider.....and affordable......
    a couple of months ago I knew nothing of photo's beyond point and shoot....then doc something came over me...I thought i should start taking pictures of my work that I've done over the last 30 years...first It was just a little internet reading and looking at b/w photos...then camera comparisons....so much about the canon rebel and the nikon d 40...It all seemed so harmless...then i somehow came across two words that intrigued me,,,,"leica experience"....It was like 1965 and the innuendo of something called LSD and the "experience... flash forward to october 2007 and my wallet uncorked sprayed bubbly in the form of the M8, 28 elmarit, and 35 lux.....big bucks from someone who has been drawing with pen and ink on vellum for many years...[.now thats a cheap habit and christmas use to be $15 for a rare 22"x"30 japanese handmade paper that took ink beautifully.]...now look at this leica addiction sucking my retirement money like a nasa rocket trying to get out of the atmosphere!!!!! Oh well,,,,,I only live once {thats what I told myself in the fall when I decided to but the M8 after months of researching digital cameras] so lets see what this leica thing is all about. Hell...30 years ago I spent 3 times that much on cocaine so it's not like I havent been down this road before...http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images...lyROFL.gif.but hey this is fun and the other drugs well ...as warren zevon sang..."aint that pretty at all"......I love this whole leica /internet shopping/seanreiding black and white circus... it's so different......when you hang out with artists you talk about money and the lack of it or the creative process...but never materials... so this is a nice change.......anyway,back to christmas.....I'm working my way to the 21mm experience and it's only a matter of time ,,,and oh yes http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images...oney...:ROTFL:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully a Canon ipf 8100 in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ramos View Post
    Hopefully a Canon ipf 8100 in a couple of weeks.
    Sweet! Can't wait to hear what you think!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No big purchases for me as I already own the lot! <g> I now have the CV 15, Leica R elmarit with R to M adapter, 21 Elmarit, 24 Elmarit, 28 Cron, 50 Lux pre asph, 75 Lux, and 135 APO Telyt. I know everyone can have a laugh at my indiscretions but I really do use them all. I am getting the CV 12 though because it is such a great lens for getting close and wide.

Merry Christmas everyone

Woody

DougDolde

Santa delivered my IDs Mark III on Christmas Eve in his big Brown truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Got myself the stocking stuffers -- Gordy's camera strap, Tim's Thumbs Up, a Kirk base plate, and a 1.25 viewfinder. But I could have done better, if i could only decide on the right 90MM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, my 75 Summarit was a self-birthday present. So technically the Christmas end of it was a lens hood.

Shootist

M6 and Pre ASPH 21 Elmarit.
    But we will see it the seller actually ships the items.
    I think I might of been SCAMMED.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Picked p a lend hood for the 50 Summarit in a shop off rindermarkt strasse near marionplatz 125 euro for a hood and cap. Must have been the Glughwein.
    -bob

oh, and, er was it a new gitzo, plus a 90 apo some A&A stuff and I am still looking at the 21 elmarit

Holy Saint Nick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Santa (dressed in a brown uniform) delivered my sexy, black, spotless M8 and 28/2 ASPH yesterday (Christmas Eve). It seems I've been a very good boy indeed!

I'm up to my neck in manuals, boxes, and the excitement of starting a completely new adventure. Gulp. Wish me luck boys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good Luck, TR. As an M8 user for over a year, I'm certain you'll find the adventure exciting.

Kurt

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm IV Summicron

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Brian Phythian

Smile Re: Christmas Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    35mm IV Summicron
    After reading Guys reviews of the various 75`s I settled for my original choice of the 75 cron. Helped by a mega deal .Happy Christmas and a good new year to all the members.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad that helped you. Well I jumped off the leica wagon for a moment and got a 5d and 2 lenses to cover some area's I needed to get done easier than the M8 but really not that happy with the call, if i had the money i would have just bought the DMR back instead and I have access to many U coded leica r glass which makes it even worse.

Shootist

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Glad that helped you. Well I jumped off the leica wagon for a moment and got a 5d and 2 lenses to cover some area's I needed to get done easier than the M8 but really not that happy with the call, if i had the money i would have just bought the DMR back instead and I have access to many U coded leica r glass which makes it even worse.
    Guy I feel sorry for you. You do know that the 5D will just site on the shelf once you finish whatever job you bought it for.
    I wouldn't really call that a Christmas gift/present.

Post Thanks / Like

In some ways, I had more fun GIVING, because I ordered rolls of Hello Kitty toilet paper from Japan! Turns out I could have easily sold a dozen or more to ladies in the office, but who would have thought that toilet paper would be such a hit gift idea?

http://jbox.com/IMAGE/5mu4b

For myself, not much, just groceries, a couple of shirts, a Noctilux, the sunday NY Times and various and sundry items.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    In some ways, I had more fun GIVING, because I ordered rolls of Hello Kitty toilet paper from Japan! Turns out I could have easily sold a dozen or more to ladies in the office, but who would have thought that toilet paper would be such a hit gift idea?

http://jbox.com/IMAGE/5mu4b

For myself, not much, just groceries, a couple of shirts, a Noctilux, the sunday NY Times and various and sundry items.

LOL, and you thought we wouldn't catch the Noctilux....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jumped off the page at me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 30% discount WATE was my very early Christmas gift.

Here is my attempt at using the WATE and flash for Christmas pictures. I used a SF-20 on auto with the sfill diffususer. I also had a pocket wizard fire a couple of Profoto lights pointed at the ceiling for fill. I think this was 18mm and f6.3 on the WATE.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Sift, sift, bingo, sift, sift...
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year everyone - my gift to myself was flying my parents and sisters and thier families down to our farm for a big family get together. I got to make a lot of photos using all the M and R gear I have recently acquired and of course snuck in a few with the trusty Alpa.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm - I have been a pretty good boy, decided to fatten a little the film side of my kit and got myself a fantastic deal for a mint chrome M6 & a very good looking Hasselblad X-Pan with 45mm to go with it - the M6 looks really as new, works perfectly and comes with one year warranty from my regular shop in Italy; the X-Pan looks a little more used but works perfectly as well and has 6 months warranty: I was looking for one for some time now, so I guess it has been a merry filmy Christmas for me this year
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Michael B. Elmer

An Epson Stylus Pro 3800 printer plus lots of paper and extra ink. The printer was wonderfully easy to install, even on my network, and printing results so far are very promising.

Today, I also asked my Leica dealer (Mr. Meister in Hamburg, Germany) whether during the christmas sales he has been able to sell one or more of the 5 film Leicas and 9 older Leica lenses that I have entrusted him to sell for me on a commission basis. If so, I will buy the 21/2.8 asph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 3800 is a phenomenal printer --- you are going to love it. And the 21 Asph is a wonderful hunk of glass too!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm probably a little crazy ... in exploring film after digital ... but you've got to follow your muse. I picked up a .85 M7 over the xmas break and am having fun. When you use that viewfinder, you can start to imagine what a full-frame M9 might be like. Here are a couple of samples ...

Kurt
    Last edited by KurtKamka; 9th June 2008 at 11:59.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I thought it was just going to be memory cards and film, but I did sneak in under the wire and get some Leica gear.

I was going through all my various kit over these holidays and decided to consolidate some by getting rid of stuff that is not my style any longer or not really getting much use.

Relative to RF: My Zeiss Ikon and the 21/4.5 Biogon C are going up for sale. This is not because they are not great to use, it is actually the opposite. However, I decided that I wanted a feel as close as possible between film and digital for the camera ergonomics. I also wanted a 2.8 for the 21 and decided that I didn't like the extra processing required to use the Zeiss Biogon with Cornerfix, even though that Zeiss Biogon is pretty amazing at 4.5. My WATE is up for sale, and I recently sold the 75 Cron ASPH.

So guess what??

I took advantage of getting a Leica M7 and 21/2.8 Elmarit ASPH (coded) both brand new while the Passport warranty is still good. I have to admit it also helped that the dealer really did me a BIG favor as she had these from before a couple of price increases ago, and sold them to me at a tremendous discount compared to todays prices (or what they are going to be in a few days).

Yes Leica GAS struck again, but I have also sold a lot of Leica recently which really compensates.

My RF kit is now M8, M7, 21 Elmarit ASPH, 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, 90 Elmarit.

The 35 Cron ASPH, will probably go on the block some day in the future if we get a full frame M9? as 35 is not really a favorite of mine but it does duty as a 50 now on the M8.

OK Guy - start laughing that Leica GAS got me this Christmas even though I told you it wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

A CD transport and a mint 20 yo Elmarit-R 135/2.8. I thought it is essentially the same lens as the Elmarit-M 135/2.8 but the latter is significantly bulkier. Happy New Year to All!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Well I thought it was just going to be memory cards and film, but I did sneak in under the wire and get some Leica gear.

I was going through all my various kit over these holidays and decided to consolidate some by getting rid of stuff that is not my style any longer or not really getting much use.

Relative to RF: My Zeiss Ikon and the 21/4.5 Biogon C are going up for sale. This is not because they are not great to use, it is actually the opposite. However, I decided that I wanted a feel as close as possible between film and digital for the camera ergonomics. I also wanted a 2.8 for the 21 and decided that I didn't like the extra processing required to use the Zeiss Biogon with Cornerfix, even though that Zeiss Biogon is pretty amazing at 4.5. My WATE is up for sale, and I recently sold the 75 Cron ASPH.

So guess what??

I took advantage of getting a Leica M7 and 21/2.8 Elmarit ASPH (coded) both brand new while the Passport warranty is still good. I have to admit it also helped that the dealer really did me a BIG favor as she had these from before a couple of price increases ago, and sold them to me at a tremendous discount compared to todays prices (or what they are going to be in a few days).

Yes Leica GAS struck again, but I have also sold a lot of Leica recently which really compensates.

My RF kit is now M8, M7, 21 Elmarit ASPH, 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, 90 Elmarit.

The 35 Cron ASPH, will probably go on the block some day in the future if we get a full frame M9? as 35 is not really a favorite of mine but it does duty as a 50 now on the M8.

OK Guy - start laughing that Leica GAS got me this Christmas even though I told you it wouldn't.

The leica 21 2.8 is pretty hard to ignore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Eric:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new acquisition! I can tell you that you choose wisely The 28 Cron alongside my 50 Lux are my #1 lenses.
    Thanks Jack,

I have just sent the 28 off to be coded so am using my 24 asph as a body cap at the moment.

All the Best and a Great New Year to all.
    Eric

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a belated Christmas gift to myself, I picked up a LNIB used Zeiss 50mm Planar f/2 from an RFF member (with hood). I am eagerly awaiting the man in the white van. My CV 75mm may go up for sale soon. I am also planning on buying a Mac Pro after Macworld in a little over a week-and-a-half. I fully expect a refresh of the Mac Pro line to the new Penryn processors with Blu-ray support and new video cards.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The leica 21 2.8 is pretty hard to ignore.
    A great lens indeed - I have one for sale just now, pre-ASPH but Leica coded & CLA'd, if anyone is interested PM me
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I finally got around to buying a 75 Summarit to replace the one I reluctantly returned to Leica after testing.

i may as well add David Farkus (Dale Labs) to my bank account because he gets all of my extra money. Nevermind, he already has my debit card number so that is about the same. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see you are in South Florida, Mark. Were you in attendance at the Leica Demo Day last November? We need to get together and shoot the breeze.
    Last edited by etrigan63; 4th January 2008 at 20:06.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Daveco

My family got me socks and shorts; I got me the M8 and 28 cron (post-Christmas because I could always hope.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I see you are in South Florida, Mark. Were you in attendance at the Leica Demo Day last November? We need to get together and shoot the breeze.
    Unfortunately I am not in South Florida, I am in East Tennessee. Otherwise, I would love to meet up and shoot the breeze. I always enjoy spending time with other photographers. I met David on the Leica Akademie trip to Germany last summer and have been buying stuff from him ever since.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What part of Tennessee? My family likes to rent cabins up that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos, I am in Cleveland, TN. It is about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to the Smoky Mountains National Park. I guess that is where (e.g., Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge) your family rents cabins. Let me know if you get up this way and we can go out shooting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will do Mark. We may be heading to the Gatlinburg area again this year so I will let you know. We are also planning a trip to Spain.