The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 1.4X magnifier

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Well I maybe the lone proponent of the 1.4x. First much more important than the magnifier is the diopter lens ....if you need one it will work either alone on the camera or with the 1.25x or 1.4x extenders.

I think the 1.25X is perfect with 50..I had excellent results with the 1.4x on my NYC trip. Even at night.

You do lose a little contrast verse the finder alone and if you are using wide angle without a external finder ..it may be as good. A 50 on an M9 is in the middle so either solution would be reasonable .

deepdiver

Hi John. Hi Roger.
Thx u for the inputs :)
Can u please help me with 1 more question?
If I'm using 1.4x magnifier, Can I still see the 50 guide lines on the viewfinder??
I believe that if we are using 1,25x we can still see 28, 35 and 50mm lines.
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx you

Lloyd

Hi John. Hi Roger.
Thx u for the inputs :)
Can u please help me with 1 more question?
If I'm using 1.4x magnifier, Can I still see the 50 guide lines on the viewfinder??
I believe that if we are using 1,25x we can still see 28, 35 and 50mm lines.
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx you
I have the 1.25, and on the M8 can see everything from 35 on up. 28 is a bit too wide for me to see looking normally, although I have left it on when using a 28. I tried the 1.4x and found it too thick. I probably would have used it only with the 75 or the 90, so I took a pass.

deepdiver

Hi Lloyd.
I think I agree with you... looking at the picture of 1.4x magnifier, it's very thick!!
thank you, now I will place an order for 1.25x
i hope I will received it together with leica M9 on October 12 (yes, In Indonesia, Leica M9 will be available around oct 10-17) :)

cam

reviving this thread as my eyes seem to be getting old... i have the 1.25X magnifier but am thinking of getting the 1.4X for the Nocti and 75 Summilux.

any new thoughts? or has everyone with magnifiers moved on to the M9? (and, in that case, which ones?)

tia

Lloyd

reviving this thread as my eyes seem to be getting old... i have the 1.25X magnifier but am thinking of getting the 1.4X for the Nocti and 75 Summilux.

any new thoughts? or has everyone with magnifiers moved on to the M9? (and, in that case, which ones?)

tia
I like the 1.4X, and would probably use it for the 75 or 90 (maybe the Nocti), but I found it too thick for my tastes, so I stayed with the 1.25X.

cam

thank you, LLoyd. i am considering buying it as an addition rather than an instead of.

and thank you for being the only one to get my tongue-in-cheek comment about the 75 Lux... taking it to shoot the Tour de France? what was i thinking! oh, yeah, it was my longest lens...

Lloyd

If I had the "in addition to" option, I'd do it.

Thanks, and I did enjoy that... as I do many of your titles and captions. I know what you mean about sports with the Leica. I tried to shoot the NYC marathon last week with my M8. I did have a 90mm, but honestly it didn't really work out very well. "Horses for courses", eh?

cam

thank you!

i've even tried the 75 Lux at a basketball game -- it was actually pretty fun as a exercise, but not all that practical... and, you know me, if i was shooting the marathon, i likely would have plopped myself on the ground and gone for leg shots with the 35 -- wide open, of course :D

Lloyd

thank you!

i've even tried the 75 Lux at a basketball game -- it was actually pretty fun as a exercise, but not all that practical... and, you know me, if i was shooting the marathon, i likely would have plopped myself on the ground and gone for leg shots with the 35 -- wide open, of course :D
:) Yup, I could see that. :thumbup:

fotografz

Hi guys, sorry to bring this old tread back to surface,
As you all know here, I don't have a Leica M camera yet, however, I will have M9 soon :)
and I ONLY have 1 M lens with me right now, which is Leica 50/1.4 ASPH.
I'm planning not to buy a new lens for a while.
I want to maximize 50/1.4 ASPH.
Now my question is.
SInce i love shooting portrait, I want to use F1.4 for most of the time :D
how easy the standard viewfinder to nail the focus at F1.4 ???
OR
Should I get the Leica 1.4x magnifier? so that I can focus much easier for F1.4

any comment and suggestion will be great!
Thank you

Andree
Yes, I think it helps a lot.

I have a "illegal" 1.15X and 1.33 both with built in diopter ... but mostly use the 1.15X which is just enough to help focus the 50/0.95 Nocti more accurately, but since I use wide angles quite a bit the 1.15X still allows me to see the frame lines.

The 1.15X on the M9 0.68 M9 viewfinder provides about a 0.78 which is a little better than the standard M 0.72 on the film Ms.
The 1.33X provides a 0.90 viewfinder which is a little better than the 0.85 mag finder available for the film Ms.

Neither of these mags protrude out very far compared to the Leica 1.4X which I had some difficulty using.

I think the Leica 1.25X would be the better choice for the 50mm.

-Marc