Images

Re: Leica 1.4X magnifier

no,
    seems pricey to me
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yeah $325 but is there an alternative? I've got a 1.25X and it helps.... 1.4X better?
    Mike

website under construction

wparsons

There is a Hong Kong version at 1.33, I think, for less money.

I use the 1.25 from Leica.

I believe the 1.4 prevents one from seeing the wider frame lines, so this mag can't be left on all the time. However, the 1.4 works for the longer lenses.

The magnifier is terrific. I got a second body and am planning on getting a second 1.25 for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am with Mike --- a 1.4 on the M8 for the 75 and 90 would be awesome. Relative to fewer missed focus wide open with those optics, the $325 entry price seems almost trivial...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    yeah $325 but is there an alternative? I've got a 1.25X and it helps.... 1.4X better?
    Theres that 1.35 diopter Japanese version. Do search on this site. You'll find more info there. I might go for one for $175.
    Last edited by jamriman; 19th November 2008 at 09:44.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the advantages of the 1.4x is supposed to be ......it provides a near 1.00 view verse the standard .68. This allows you to keep both eyes open while focusing. You can almost see this if you have a 1.25x but the magnification difference will through you off. I have had it recommended to me to try to keep my left eye open while focusing with my right. This allows the person being photographer to see your eye and that you mean no harm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Received mine Monday evening, but no field experience yet, only a fiew indoor shots with a 135at. This 1.4x magnifier is rather bulky though ...
    Last edited by Knorp; 14th November 2009 at 00:04.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm curious on what you think compared to the 1.25 keep us posted.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Before Leica came out with the 1.4, I bought a 1.35 from megaperls(now Japan Exposures) in Japan for about $175 and it works perfectly (with built-in diopter correction). I have the Leica 1.25 with a diopter correction from Leica and the 1.35 does not do under for it and is as compact.
    Unfortunately when I just checked to provide a link they state that due to patent restrictions it may not be sold to U.S or German customers.http://www.japanexposures.com/
    Maurice

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does the leica 1.4x have built in diopter correction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Before Leica came out with the 1.4, I bought a 1.35 from megaperls(now Japan Exposures) in Japan for about $175 and it works perfectly (with built-in diopter correction). I have the Leica 1.25 with a diopter correction from Leica and the 1.35 does not do under for it and is as compact.
    Unfortunately when I just checked to provide a link they state that due to patent restrictions it may not be sold to U.S or German customers.http://www.japanexposures.com/
    Maurice
    My order went through even though I live in the US since I'm using it for my telescope only. The Leica 1.4 doesn't have the diopter.
    Last edited by jamriman; 19th November 2008 at 16:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Received mine Monday evening, but no field experience yet, only a fiew indoor shots with a 135at. This 1.4x magnifier is rather bulky though ...
    Any updates on this yet? I'm thinking about buying one.

Post Thanks / Like

Am using the 1.4x and have sold the 1.25x version. So much better for 50mm shots and above. I thought it brighter also, but do not like the slightly longer length.

marknorton

Does it still have the auto-detaching rubber ring?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I received the 1.4 but thought it was too much of a tunnel view which I did not like.
    I gave it back and stay with my 1.25.
    Also the 1.25 works fine with 28mm frame, the 1.4 does not.
    I might hvae decided different if I was mainly shooting 75 and 90 or 50/1.0
    However the 28 and 50/1.4 and 75/2,5 I can focus fine with the 1.25 and its just more relaxing for my eyes than the 1.4.

I think to remember that the rubber ring is different from the one on the 1.25 (which I have lost allready twice)
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, sorry to bring this old tread back to surface,
    As you all know here, I don't have a Leica M camera yet, however, I will have M9 soon
    and I ONLY have 1 M lens with me right now, which is Leica 50/1.4 ASPH.
    I'm planning not to buy a new lens for a while.
    I want to maximize 50/1.4 ASPH.
    Now my question is.
    SInce i love shooting portrait, I want to use F1.4 for most of the time
    how easy the standard viewfinder to nail the focus at F1.4 ???
    OR
    Should I get the Leica 1.4x magnifier? so that I can focus much easier for F1.4

any comment and suggestion will be great!
    Thank you

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Andree,

You should have no issues focusing at 1.4 on the 50lux. It looks like you have done quite a bit of manual focus on some of your other cameras ... so you apparently know what you are doing. I can't speak to the M9 specifically, but on the M8 the shorter focal lengths (35 and 50luxes) have never been an issue. f1.4 on the M 50 lux is sharper than the 80R lux you are familiar with using.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kurt!

thank for the quick reply, so u are suggesting me NOT to buy any eye magnifier for using 50mm @F1.4 ??
    I played a bit on Leica webite, they have a nice "M9 rangefinder camera game" where you can pick a lens, then u can try to focus the subject.
    When I choose 50mm, I was a little bit surprised of how small the area on the view finder
    SO the question came out on my head "Will I be able to get a focus image @F1.4 50mm ??"

thank you
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer NOT to use a 1.25x or 1.40x magnifier on the M8 with the 50 Lux ASPH because the magnifiers reduce contrast. The extra magnification is nice, but I do better without them. I think focusing the 50 Lux ASPH on the M8 is quite easy. I very seldom have an OOF.

I've tried the Leica 1.25x and 1.4x along with the HK Supplies 1.25x. If do find that you need a magnifier, try the HK Supplies first. It works just as well IMO - and for about 25% of the price of a new Leica 1.25x.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I maybe the lone proponent of the 1.4x. First much more important than the magnifier is the diopter lens ....if you need one it will work either alone on the camera or with the 1.25x or 1.4x extenders.

I think the 1.25X is perfect with 50..I had excellent results with the 1.4x on my NYC trip. Even at night.

You do lose a little contrast verse the finder alone and if you are using wide angle without a external finder ..it may be as good. A 50 on an M9 is in the middle so either solution would be reasonable .

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John. Hi Roger.
    Thx u for the inputs
    Can u please help me with 1 more question?
    If I'm using 1.4x magnifier, Can I still see the 50 guide lines on the viewfinder??
    I believe that if we are using 1,25x we can still see 28, 35 and 50mm lines.
    Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx you

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hi John. Hi Roger.
    Thx u for the inputs
    Can u please help me with 1 more question?
    If I'm using 1.4x magnifier, Can I still see the 50 guide lines on the viewfinder??
    I believe that if we are using 1,25x we can still see 28, 35 and 50mm lines.
    Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx you
    I have the 1.25, and on the M8 can see everything from 35 on up. 28 is a bit too wide for me to see looking normally, although I have left it on when using a 28. I tried the 1.4x and found it too thick. I probably would have used it only with the 75 or the 90, so I took a pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lloyd.
    I think I agree with you... looking at the picture of 1.4x magnifier, it's very thick!!
    thank you, now I will place an order for 1.25x
    i hope I will received it together with leica M9 on October 12 (yes, In Indonesia, Leica M9 will be available around oct 10-17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

reviving this thread as my eyes seem to be getting old... i have the 1.25X magnifier but am thinking of getting the 1.4X for the Nocti and 75 Summilux.

any new thoughts? or has everyone with magnifiers moved on to the M9? (and, in that case, which ones?)

tia

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    reviving this thread as my eyes seem to be getting old... i have the 1.25X magnifier but am thinking of getting the 1.4X for the Nocti and 75 Summilux.

any new thoughts? or has everyone with magnifiers moved on to the M9? (and, in that case, which ones?)

tia
    I like the 1.4X, and would probably use it for the 75 or 90 (maybe the Nocti), but I found it too thick for my tastes, so I stayed with the 1.25X.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, LLoyd. i am considering buying it as an addition rather than an instead of.

and thank you for being the only one to get my tongue-in-cheek comment about the 75 Lux... taking it to shoot the Tour de France? what was i thinking! oh, yeah, it was my longest lens...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had the "in addition to" option, I'd do it.

Thanks, and I did enjoy that... as I do many of your titles and captions. I know what you mean about sports with the Leica. I tried to shoot the NYC marathon last week with my M8. I did have a 90mm, but honestly it didn't really work out very well. "Horses for courses", eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you!

i've even tried the 75 Lux at a basketball game -- it was actually pretty fun as a exercise, but not all that practical... and, you know me, if i was shooting the marathon, i likely would have plopped myself on the ground and gone for leg shots with the 35 -- wide open, of course

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    thank you!

i've even tried the 75 Lux at a basketball game -- it was actually pretty fun as a exercise, but not all that practical... and, you know me, if i was shooting the marathon, i likely would have plopped myself on the ground and gone for leg shots with the 35 -- wide open, of course
    Yup, I could see that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to bring this old tread back to surface,
    As you all know here, I don't have a Leica M camera yet, however, I will have M9 soon
    and I ONLY have 1 M lens with me right now, which is Leica 50/1.4 ASPH.
    I'm planning not to buy a new lens for a while.
    I want to maximize 50/1.4 ASPH.
    Now my question is.
    SInce i love shooting portrait, I want to use F1.4 for most of the time
    how easy the standard viewfinder to nail the focus at F1.4 ???
    OR
    Should I get the Leica 1.4x magnifier? so that I can focus much easier for F1.4

any comment and suggestion will be great!
    Thank you

Andree
    Yes, I think it helps a lot.

I have a "illegal" 1.15X and 1.33 both with built in diopter ... but mostly use the 1.15X which is just enough to help focus the 50/0.95 Nocti more accurately, but since I use wide angles quite a bit the 1.15X still allows me to see the frame lines.

The 1.15X on the M9 0.68 M9 viewfinder provides about a 0.78 which is a little better than the standard M 0.72 on the film Ms.
    The 1.33X provides a 0.90 viewfinder which is a little better than the 0.85 mag finder available for the film Ms.

Neither of these mags protrude out very far compared to the Leica 1.4X which I had some difficulty using.

I think the Leica 1.25X would be the better choice for the 50mm.

-Marc