The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best case for M9

gooomz

any suggestion for the best case to get for an M9?

leicatime, classiccases.co.uk, art & artisan, others?

looking for a high quality slim fitting case easy to take on and off.

thanks a lot.

StephenPatterson

No right or wrong answers to this question, which comes up regularly. I use Luigi's half case because it gives me a better grip. I also like the hanging flap on the back, which is quickly opened when needed. The leather is so soft now that the half case peels off in less than a second, and while it is an extra step it isn't one I mind.

ashwinrao1

I second a Luigi Half case...mine has a built in grip and no hanging flap (just cut out for LCD). The cases are exquisitely crafted and improve with age, as Stephen said, as the leather takes on oils from the hand. My case has cut outs for battery and SD card, and I also use a M-Mate 2 baseplate, also sold by luigi at : leicatime.com

There are many options beyond this.

Arches

I highly recommend the half cases by "JnK" on eBay. I used one on my M9. It is a very high quality, elegant case. They apparently have a higher-end line called "Arte di mano" (also sold on eBay), but I haven't seen one in person.

D&A

do you like luigi's built in grip option?
Again, like most things, if one chooses a Luigi case ( and I echo everyone's recommendation for it), whether to get one with or without such features such as hanging back or built in grip, is very subjective. For me personally, the one with the built in grip is just right and as for the hanging door, 75 % of the time I would say "without" and 25% of the time "with". The one thing we can all agree on is there should be a Leica M camera inside the case at all times, ready to shoot! :) .

Dave (D&A)

MCTuomey

no case at all after adding leica grip and thumbie ... fits my right hand and fingers very very well. reason i'm posting this is because it seems like grip is higher priority among some users than protection. cases are too much a PITA, if only used for protection, i think.

Godfrey

I went with a Luigi case and like it, but I find that the flap and the way it covers the rear of the camera gets in my way a bit, although its very protective. I then got the A&A which is more open and works better for me.

So it's very much a personal preference at work.

My Luigi is for sale ... It's the 'inside out' deign with just the grip bubble and the rear flap is fuly removable. In green, looks nice with a black body.

iiiNelson

Luigi with a built in grip for me. It was a gift to myself. Like others said there is no wrong choice as it's all personal preference. For me it came down to the amount of options and the quality of the case. Luigi seemed to offer the most personalized option but at a cost and wait time (unless you choose something already made.) I went with a black ostrich case, built-in grip, and hanging flap.