Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: leica 50mm apo or 50mm lux

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: leica 50mm apo or 50mm lux

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Lotsa funny info going on here and in the Leica world in general.

APO is beneficial for Color where all three primary colors match at the same focus point. The people and the weekend-reviewers who want to sound expert about it and who recommend the APO for the MM are not to be listened to. They give very weak arguments.

Also, the APO is not a no-brainer. Just look at a HCB print, or McCurry print, for example. The last thing you'll even think about it all this technical junk. And no, none of their images would have benefited from a better lens. Not even Capa's famous blurry/soft image of the soldiers. All the magic is in the eye connected to the finger.

At last, I have always been very disapointed in the Leica crowd in general as they're usually proven that they don't really know much about photography in general. Take the 50 Lux Asph for example: It used to be maligned because it was "too perfect", or "too clinical", which just isn't true. That particular lens is a top performer on all aspects and it has plenty of character. Plenty. Exactly the opposite from "clinical", a term that I suspect was simply coined by a couch photographer who couldn't' afford it and was looking for a reason to love his old glass a bit longer. And now, it seems that good old "modern 50 asph lux which is too clinical" has suddenly become old glass to the Leica crowd. Quite funny.

The 50 APO is a status symbol. Your girlfriend loves Gold and big Diamonds? You love the 50 APO. It's as simple as that.

At last, my take on the APO is very simple. It is a status symbol. And probably a very solid performer. A total waste on the MM. And a total waste if you want to improve your photography. And I don't believe in diffraction. It's true in theory, but in practice it vanishes. This is why even cheap glass picks up more and more details as the sensor has more and more MPs. And it's all about viewing distance, anyways.

The 50 APO? Only for fondlers. Capa wouldn't have benefited from it even if he had run for his life, case proven by his famous shot. Or Ulevich's Pulitzer image, where he almost got killed. No APO or ASPH would have been relevant at all. A Pulitzer just doesn't doesn't care. I believe the APO, beyond any of its "perfections" will show a unique character.
    Will it be worth it? If the resale value doesn't drop, it's always worth it, even at 25,000$. Simply logical.
    ---------------------

A great book that I recommend to all those who think that photography is about the equipment, be prepared to be smashed: Moments: The Pulitzer Prize Winning Photographs by Hal Buell
    Did Capa actually use Leica all the time?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Sorry,

Focus on the Moon ... and then focus on a deep space object...not the same... so what is infinity?

The DOF even with an APO refractor is exceedingly small ... so OOF areas indeed show CA...no big..just an indication you need to turn the focusing knob a bit.

I agree that excessive CA is distracting...I do not see this with the 50 APO. And I do not think it is too clinical...then again my favorite camera was the Mamiya 7 with 43, 65 and 80 .... or the ALPA TC with 35 and 47 APO's .

A beautiful lens that is sharp and well built does not negate the need to focus, frame and have a context in mind when one exposes a picture...neither does it diminish the content ....

JMHO.

Bob
    Interesting defense. Almost effective too.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Interesting defense. Almost effective too.
    Vivek,

Please understand that I assumed we were not discussing Lateral CA which would not hold in the aforementioned instances...and yes in the morning light I would add that you are correct that the APO refractors ... mine fluorite... have a small range of distant focus and their design does not need to consider near range effects.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Vivek,

Please understand that I assumed we were not discussing Lateral CA which would not hold in the aforementioned instances...and yes in the morning light I would add that you are correct that the APO refractors ... mine fluorite... have a small range of distant focus and their design does not need to consider near range effects.

Bob
    Bob, the image of the champagne bottle shows no CA whatsoever. Also, CA is most noticeable in an in focus image. It dissipates in an out of focus image. But this lens is showing no CA.

So, if you are thinking say the OOF edge of the car lamp is showing color, a little green, it is, but it is not CA. It is the transition of the OOF images of the lamp and green foliage behind it. If you look at the other metalwork, it changes color--CA is a separation of specific wavelengths and so will show the same color unlike the image which is showing different colors depending on what is influencing the tradition zone. And where it is neutral, it stays neutral--that is not what CA does. This lens is about as color free as you can get.

CA is also about bringing different wavelengths of light to a single point or plane of focus. That is a problem of frequency, not object distance. It really does not matter whether you are talking about infinity focus or something closer.
    Last edited by Shashin; 3rd November 2012 at 10:54.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, I appreciate the discussion. Meaningful, on topic and polite!
    Thanks!

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Bob, the image of the champagne bottle shows no CA whatsoever. Also, CA is most noticeable in an in focus image. It dissipates in an out of focus image. But this lens is showing no CA.
    If you reread the posts above I posted the picture as a wonderful color example of the 50 APO and agree that with my vision...I see no CA at all. I believe that was brought up by someone else...

I do believe that the new 50 may be as good as the Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR APO Macro or very very close.

Bob