The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summaron 35/3.5 What filter size?

dude163

Hi all

I have a M8 and need to know what sized IR/UV filter I need to use if I got a summaron 35/3,5? I have some e39 filters , so maybe a step ring? because it looks like the summaron has slip ons?

Robert:deadhorse:

( my 5 yr old selected the emoticons )

dude163

on a second note, are the summarons worth getting? I really like vintage lenses and need something wider than my 50 cron

henningw

Hi all
I have a M8 and need to know what sized IR/UV filter I need to use if I got a summaron 35/3,5? I have some e39 filters , so maybe a step ring? because it looks like the summaron has slip ons?
Most LTM 35/3.5 Summarons have E36 slip on mounts; I don't know anyone who makes filters in this size. Later LTM 35/3.5's had E39, as did most M mount 3.5's.

If you want to use a 3.5 Summaron, which is basically a quite decent lens with lower contrast than modern glass, the easiest thing is to find some old Wratten slip on mount (old camera shops might have some around) and put a series filter in it. Best to step up to a Series VII and then you can slip in an actual Series VII filter (Heliopan makes these) or slip in a 49mm filter. These usually work.

Easiest is of course the E39 variety, or get a f/2.8 Summaron which is a slightly better lens all around and is E39, and compares favourably with the pre-ASPH Summicron.

Henning

V

Vivek

Robert, The link you give shows a clamp on filter (that too 36mm) and is not a filter holder.

There is a Leitz A36 clamp on filter holder, again for certain Summarons only.

It is good to check before buying these old doodahs. They can be costly.

socal

it's very nice little lens, I currently using one on my NEX 7, a couple of samples. I use e39 filter.

V

Vivek

You got lucky with the SOOTF! :) They are not cheap either.

There should be no problems. Even the FILTU I showed in the other thread with a 27mm filter is meant for the FF with no vignetting.

dude163

Is the SOOTF hard to get?
He had it listed for 24.99 but last week I had the flu so I was too sick to do anything, and he relisted it at 19.99 so I bought it :)

that combo will work with my E39 filter wont it Vivek? i appreciate your assistance too, thanks

dude163

here is what it looks like all ready for action!

Taken with my Pentax KX and a 1993 Helios 44M6 58mm lens