The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small, semi fast 90mm. Which one?

wosim

I own the Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm and the Summicron 90mm pre-Asph. The Summicron at 2.0 is a bit soft, but ideal for portraits. From 4.0 to 11.0 it is very sharp from edge to edge. The only disadvantage of this lens is its weight. Therefore I recently bought the Tele-Elmarit-M, made in Canada. It is very light, very sharp and contrasty and one of my favourite travel-lenses.

For the Voigtländer Heliar 1.8 75mm I know the following reviews:

Review: Voigtlander 75mm F/1.8 Heliar « Leica Reviews > Voigtlander Reviews > Fine Art Photography > Music > Tony Ventouris

Review: Voigtlander 75mm F/1.8 Heliar | Band Photography > Music Photographer > Tony Ventouris > MD DC VA > Panoramic > Portraits

Voigtländer 75mm f/1.8 Heliar Classic Review

Best regards

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Count me as another vote for the elmarit-M f2.8 - no compromise in image quality in a very compact and travel friendly package. I've owned the f 4.0 macro but sold it because of its tendency to flair. I've owned the 90mm summicron but sold it because it was just too much to drag around - it just accumulated dust on my shelf. I've actually owned the fat tele-elmarit and sold it because its performance didn't quite live up to expectations - should probably re-examine the issue based on Ashwin's testimony. By the way the great thing about Leica is through all of these transactions I lost very little if any money.

arild

Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed by the sheer number of good people decided to weigh in on my conundrum. Thanks again,all of you.

Never heard about the Zeiss until now,but it would be an interesting lens if it weren't for the fact that I live in one of the darkest regions of the world. For that fact alone,the Luz 75 suddenly becomes interesting,but I fear what those may go for. Honestly,the AA. crons are out of my price range,thus my initial quest for the elmarit.

E46 thread would be nice for continuity,but honestly,I'm not a filter fanatic. I trust and know modern day coating on front elements to be quite tough,so the only filter likely to come on would be ND ones.

Again,this is some time in the future,fortunately,so I'm going to get lots of time grumbling over what to do..Financial constraints and all..;-)
I am going to Paris quite soon,though,and knowing myself rather well,the second hand stores will be visited more than once.. If I ask nicely, the wife may let me buy something!