The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi Mate for M9

gooomz

anyone find Lugi's line of Mates baseplates any useful for the m9?

looks cool, but not sure if it is going to be any more useful at the end of the day?

thanks

edwardkaraa

I wasn't even aware of the existence of this baseplate. Looks very nice but quite expensive. Honestly I don't see the benefit since removing the original plate is very easy and fast, but I can see how it can be very useful with the matching leather case as you don't have to remove the case every time you change the battery or SD card.

monza

I sold the original design to Luigi a couple of years ago. Offered to help him get it manufactured elsewhere to get the price down, but he declined.

Operationally it's a big improvement, being able to quickly swap cards and battery without requiring three hands. Yeah, one can manage, but this is just a poor design by Leica. There is no reason for a film-like bottom plate on a digital.

ashwinrao1

I love and use the baseplate very day on both of my M9's. I have Robert's most recent latest designs...

ashwinrao1

I would say that I can't live without mine, as I have Luigi cases with cut outs for the case, and I never have to take case or baseplate off...ever. It's a nice thing and avoids scuffs and the like!

edwardkaraa

To be honest, before getting the M9 I heard a lot about the antiquated baseplate and how difficult and time consuming it is to remove it, so I was expecting a nightmare. In fact it turned out so easy, even easier than other cameras that have the battery in the grip side like my old 5D.

oc garza

I use the Luigi baseplate and love it. Switching of batteries and cards is instantaneous and you don't have to find a place to put the Leica base plate.

jgburton1

I have just purchased the m-mate and I have the Luigi half case. Has anyone tried cutting the case for the openings in the bottom?

Jim Burton