Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

  1. #51
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Thanks to the Typ 240, I got a very good discount on a brand new M9 from the dealer, not demo. I think I will do the same 3 years from now I'm in no hurry.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Revisiting...

    Was out shooting with the M9 over the weekend. Every time I take it out, I'm reminded again why I paid so much for this camera, and why it was worth it. I'd like it to be my only system camera for the 99% of what I shoot. But it can't be.

    The new M adds the critical capability of being usable with long teles and macro lenses which are the reasons why I still keep the GXR now (aside from the fact that it's a terrific camera in its own right). I don't use these capabilities often enough or in situations where a current DSLR is so much a better choice as to be worth the expense, but I do need them occasionally.

    I will order a new M eventually, likely next year sometime. It will enable me to simplify my gear another step.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    GTA, Canada
    Posts
    587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    I don't think I'm the target market for the new M's.. I'm perfectly happy where I am with my M9.
    Scott

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    If one wants to wait a long tome for the M-240 you might as well wait for the M-280 which is already on the drawing boards assuming a three year lag from conception to introduction.
    This is, as far as I know, the only real cure for GAS - waiting for the better camera.

    Not my forte I'm afraid (although I still don't seem to have an A99 or a K5 IIs!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Revisiting...

    Was out shooting with the M9 over the weekend. Every time I take it out, I'm reminded again why I paid so much for this camera, and why it was worth it. I'd like it to be my only system camera for the 99% of what I shoot. But it can't be.

    The new M adds the critical capability of being usable with long teles and macro lenses which are the reasons why I still keep the GXR now (aside from the fact that it's a terrific camera in its own right). I don't use these capabilities often enough or in situations where a current DSLR is so much a better choice as to be worth the expense, but I do need them occasionally.

    I will order a new M eventually, likely next year sometime. It will enable me to simplify my gear another step.
    Hi Godfrey
    I really do agree - the 240 may not be a perfect substitute for a dSLR - but for my purposes it will probably mean that I no longer need a dSLR. As you say - simplifying things still further.
    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    You know, I may need to eat some crow. Since our discussion earlier, I've been taking my 1.25x mag off and on, and I'm not sure that the magnification is worth bothering with, because the viewfinder is more comfortable to my eye without the magnifier attached. So it's a bit of a pick your poison kinda thing, at least for me. I like the extra magnification, but my eye just doesn't rest as nicely on the camera.

    If you try it, I'd buy used, so that you can sell the magnifier for the same amount if you don't like the it.
    I apologize that this is off topic, but, just to follow up on my earlier post, I've got to admit something embarrassing about my 1.25x. Apparently, the rubber eye surround had come off the magnifier during shipping, and it was sitting in the bottom of the case. No wonder the magnifier wasn't more comfortable on my eye! Duh! It is certainly better now, since my eyebrow isn't resting against metal, although still not as nice as without the magnifier, so I'm reconsidering it. It's been on my camera a few days now, and I'm getting used to it.

  7. #57
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Revisiting...

    Was out shooting with the M9 over the weekend. Every time I take it out, I'm reminded again why I paid so much for this camera, and why it was worth it. I'd like it to be my only system camera for the 99% of what I shoot. But it can't be.

    The new M adds the critical capability of being usable with long teles and macro lenses which are the reasons why I still keep the GXR now (aside from the fact that it's a terrific camera in its own right). I don't use these capabilities often enough or in situations where a current DSLR is so much a better choice as to be worth the expense, but I do need them occasionally.

    I will order a new M eventually, likely next year sometime. It will enable me to simplify my gear another step.
    Good points. I don't really shoot longer tele or macro, so much of the appeal of the 240 is lost on me. If I ever do upgrade, it would be for better high ISO and the ability to shoot quick family movies, but I don't think either are make it or break it for me, and I still have an old NEX-5 laying around that I can use for occasional things that the M9 can't handle.

    It'll be interesting to see how the M9 and M 240 compare at low ISO. The M9 is still new to me, and I don't want to speak to soon, but it feels about "just right" for me, so I'm planning on getting off the upgrade wagon for a while.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    ...should I go for an M9 or wait for the M typ 240?...
    Many of us here are privileged enough to consider such a choice and likewise many of us are frugal (despite spending a lot on cameras). I'd recommend to get a 2nd hand M9 now and wear a small loss if you sell sometime next year, you'll certainly need to bring up your skills on the RF and it might just avoid the risk of EVF becoming a distraction. If you haven't ordered an M yet, it might be 6 mo's to a year before you get one.

    If money is no object, you won't mind the small loss, if money is a concern, then you'll have the opportunity to spend more on lenses by getting a cheap M9 today. It's the lenses where it all happens. You can invest in the M later if it all works out. Buying an M will likely loose you more money than buying a 2nd hand M9 today.

    I can't personally see any justification for waiting. It's a great time to get into the M way of life.

    - Paul

  9. #59
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Good points. I don't really shoot longer tele or macro, so much of the appeal of the 240 is lost on me. ...

    It'll be interesting to see how the M9 and M 240 compare at low ISO. The M9 is still new to me, and I don't want to speak to soon, but it feels about "just right" for me, so I'm planning on getting off the upgrade wagon for a while.
    Actually, another feature of the new M is very important to me: responsiveness. According to every reviewer who has actually handled a live one, the speed with which it writes and displays data is yards better than the M9. The M9 is a lot more responsive than the GXR but has nowhere near the responsiveness of the Olympus E-5 that I sold. I've knocked into the "can't shoot because I'm writing data out" limit a couple of times now with the M9 and the somewhat lethargic way it pulls up images in review mode reminds me of the E-1. (The E-1 bangs into the 'locked buffer write' situation less often because it has a larger raw buffer ...) The new M will write fast enough, according to all reports, to be on par with the E-5—which I never did get to hit the buffer write limit in real use.

    Of course, what the new M's sensor does compared to the M9 will be an interesting comparison. I suspect, however, that it will be a toss up there, and the improved dynamic range and sensitivity a plus.

  10. #60
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Actually, another feature of the new M is very important to me: responsiveness. According to every reviewer who has actually handled a live one, the speed with which it writes and displays data is yards better than the M9. The M9 is a lot more responsive than the GXR but has nowhere near the responsiveness of the Olympus E-5 that I sold. I've knocked into the "can't shoot because I'm writing data out" limit a couple of times now with the M9 and the somewhat lethargic way it pulls up images in review mode reminds me of the E-1. (The E-1 bangs into the 'locked buffer write' situation less often because it has a larger raw buffer ...) The new M will write fast enough, according to all reports, to be on par with the E-5—which I never did get to hit the buffer write limit in real use.

    Of course, what the new M's sensor does compared to the M9 will be an interesting comparison. I suspect, however, that it will be a toss up there, and the improved dynamic range and sensitivity a plus.
    Yeah, I'd certainly welcome faster performance, but I generally try to avoid reviewing images, and I haven't had many buffer issues, yet, so I think I can hold off, for now.

    The quieter shutter sounds appealing.

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Godfrey
    I really do agree - the 240 may not be a perfect substitute for a dSLR - but for my purposes it will probably mean that I no longer need a dSLR. As you say - simplifying things still further.
    all the best
    ...and this is the number one reason I am interested in the new M. I'd imagine that I would keep my M9-P if nothing else as a back up but I'm thinking there will be room for 3 bodies if I get a MM which I want more than a Type 240 right now. Maybe I will wait for the eventual M Type 240-P.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  12. #62
    Senior Member Jason Muelver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 or wait for M typ 240?

    A M9 for under $4k used would be very interesting to me. For higher iso work, my D3 is always handy.

    I'm thinking an M9 with 25/40/75 glass would cover about 70% of my candids and portraiture. Nikon with 16-35, 85 and 70-200 would clean up the rest.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •