The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M vs/and Leica S ...

algrove

Wow, I didn't realize that you could sync the S at 1/1000th with CS lenses. The ability to switch between FPS and CS is an amazing feature of the S2 and S.
Do I hear someone talking himself into this new S addition? At least you might not stain your shirts due to M straps.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
But 4.5... I'm hoping at least for a 3.5, my dream would be a 2.8 but I guess that is a dream and I'm not sure if I'am able to carry that beast. ;)
In truth a 4.5 300 on the S2 will be all the equivalent of a 2.8 on 35...DOF will be so small you will want to shoot at 5.6 to 8 and then wish for more DOF.

I find that the problem is limited DOF more than too much with MF tele's.

But I would never use the 300 for portraits....

Bob

fotografz

Wow, I didn't realize that you could sync the S at 1/1000th with CS lenses. The ability to switch between FPS and CS is an amazing feature of the S2 and S.
Yes, it is quite a valuable feature.

Just worked with both shutter modes yesterday at a really cool wedding.

Did outdoor portraits at a lake shooting into the sun with a specular lake behind the subjects ... use a Hasselblad HC50-II on the S2 in Central shutter mode !@ 1/750th, and lit them with a Profoto Acute 600B AIR and Elinchrom 39" Rotolux Deep Octa ... then went to a 1950s style burger joint and shot candids of them in available light with the S2 and 35mm in focal plane mode.

The real revelation was first real use of the Leica MM ... jaw dropping results ... including shooting a skimpily lit cocktail party using ISO 2500 to 5000 ... unbelievably clean with beautiful tonality.

-Marc

Petster

In truth a 4.5 300 on the S2 will be all the equivalent of a 2.8 on 35...DOF will be so small you will want to shoot at 5.6 to 8 and then wish for more DOF.

I find that the problem is limited DOF more than too much with MF tele's.

But I would never use the 300 for portraits....

Bob
True, but depends on the distance of the subject. In terms of light it is still 4.5. If you need a fast lens for tele work, not talking about portraits, and you do not have it you could only raise ISO and there is a limiting factor in choice and quality on the S2.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
True, but depends on the distance of the subject. In terms of light it is still 4.5. If you need a fast lens for tele work, not talking about portraits, and you do not have it you could only raise ISO and there is a limiting factor in choice and quality on the S2.
Which is why I made the compromise of a Canon 1DX for long....long lenses. Now will autofocus at F8. Nice file by the way if a bit small by S2 standards.

Bob

Petster

Which is why I made the compromise of a Canon 1DX for long....long lenses. Now will autofocus at F8. Nice file by the way if a bit small by S2 standards.

Bob
Another system is not a solution for me, but I totally see the point. Thats why I'am dreaming. ;)