The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica new M in HK

vickko

Oh my god. I have to accelerate my gear selling program.

And I'm doing horrible right now. I spent all the money that I got from selling.

I'm not getting ahead, and the M isn't getting any closer.

StephenPatterson

It's good to see that there is at least one prototype now in the world which allows writing of JPEG and DNG files to a removable card. I know the M samples that were shown in NYC last week still had the SD cards glued in place.

It's not fair to comment on most of these M images, as some of these hand held shots with the f/1.0 Nocti have a very slow shutter speed, although noise looks pretty clean at high ISO.

The best looking images by far are from the M Monochrom!!! (no disrespect to the new M intended)

Last edited:

pophoto

No doubt today's CMOS sensor will perform well and much better than the very yesterday's M9 at high ISO. While. I'll love to see an apples to apples comparison in day light outdoors in low ISO, one thing is certain, you'll attract pretty girls holding (page 2, #45) M8s your way :)
(Could be distracting)

StephenPatterson

I think it's very encouraging that prototypes with more capable firmware are making their way into the field, but it's really difficult to project when the M might be released outside of Leica's "early 2013" statement. Not only is there the new firmware to contend with, but also a completely new sensor, and we have no way of knowing how production is proceeding on that critical component.

I'm glad to see these images, but wish they were full size DNG files and not 1000x668 jpegs with the metadata stripped out. I certainly would not want to make a judgement as to IQ based upon these images. To me they all look very soft, but that could easily be attributed to the lens and or slow shutter speed.

I see now that Leica Rumors has picked up on the story. I have this funny feeling that the folks in Solms are going to be none to happy with the Hong Kong Leica Fan Club.

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Interesting. Can't say much about these images other that color profiles look different, maybe a bit warmer, but this is OOC JPEG, which I never shoot on M9. I need to see pixel level crops for assessing micro-contrast (the geek in me needs this LOL)....also woule want to see a few RAW or tiff files to make better judgments. Images are a bit soft, due to Noct, and 50 APO-cron shots are impressive, since this is f/2 at low light...we'll see...

StephenPatterson

I just talked with a friend of mine from Leica. I will not betray a confidence, but I will say that the words "idiots" and "unbelievable" were used...

Taylor Sherman

The pictures look nice, but the main thing I'm getting from that page is that Leica-geeks in HK are very stylish, I feel very plain by comparison! :-D

(not a put-down, I like their style).

BANKER1

Last month I visited the Leica company-owned store in Washington, DC, where I placed my name on the waiting list for an M. The manager told me they would be shipping Ms at the end of January, but I was behind a lot of others on the waiting list. So that would mean end of January first of February is when they should start shipping, if they stay on schedule.

Greg

barjohn

well...they stripped out EXIF data and didn't post full size JPGs or DNG files so...aren't too idiotic! Had they left it in you maight have had a worse response.