Site Sponsors

Thread: how many lenses for day trip

Post Thanks / Like

how many lenses for day trip

for a day trip with family i like to take out 2 lenses with me always a 50mm and maybe a 24mm or 35mm?

i try to avoid taking 3 lenses as that just gets in the way.

lately i have been thinking about taking just 1 lens out instead of 2.

maybe just take a 35mm as that is the greatest comprise if i am only going to have 1 lens.

how many lenses do you take for a day trip with family/friends?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how many lenses for day trip

Impossible question, too much depends upon destination, but here's a go.

Out the door M9-P in hand with 35 Summilux FLE mounted.

I always carry a bag, because I never know when I might need to stash the camera away for protection. One reason I use the Wotancraft bags is because they have a waterproof insert. Anyway, I might end up on the back of a motor taxi or in a flood (don't ask), so a bag makes the trip. Leica lenses are not big, and not all that heavy, and as I've got the bag I might as well put some lenses inside. A lens left behind captures no images.

I always have one 50. I almost always have the 21SEM and 90 Elmarit-M.

So, one lens on the camera and three in the bag is my norm. There are LOTS of occasions where I carry three lenses around all day and never shoot with anything except the 35 Summilux, but I am ready all the same.

The 15CV and 18SEM come along when needed, or when I think they haven't had much love. Likewise with some of my vintage glass.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That depends on who I am. If I am me, then one.

My first book that was published, all the work was taken with one lens. A book published this year had 90–95% of the work done with one lens and the rest taken with two other focal lengths. Personally, working with a single focal length does not bother me and I don't crop my images, preferring to shoot full frame.

Someone else will come out with an entirely different answer...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I walk out the door I only take one lens regardless of which camera I'm using. It's typically a 35mm or 50mm lens. That challenges me and allows me to see things differently depending on where I'm at. Not to mention it's light, compact, and I don't have to worry about carrying anything extra.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Stephen - on a day trip, I have my Hadley Pro with an M9P + 35 cron IV attached and an MM + 50 cron V attached and a 21 Super Elmar and a Zeiss 21 finder with my microfibre cleaning cloth and 2 batteries in a small neoprene pouch.

With a really lightweight setup, I have an Eastpack waist pack where I just toss in 2 lenses (50 and 21), and have my M9P/MM on a Gordy sling strap across my body. The lenses weigh very little, the cleaning cloth next to nothing, and the batteries too.
    My images on 500px : http://500px.com/ghoonk
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take my camera along to work. Before leaving the house I will choose which lens I will take along, normally just one. 90% of the time it's either 35 or 50. Wider and longer lenses are too specialized so I rarely take them unless I have something in mind for them. For a family outing I would follow the same principle. But I will take all the lenses for longer trips.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I usually just take the M9 on a strap with a 50mm. If I bring a bag, I may bring along my 28 and 90, since they are both very tiny, but that is rare. Now that it is finally starting to cool off in Southern California, I may start tossing my 28 in a jacket pocket, but I really feel like I can get away with just a 50 for most non-specialized things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is subject dependent, but I fill my bag on those day out trips for just in case shots. You do not mention 2 bodies, but I always take an M9 and my MM. Normally use a Billingham for Leica lately and my assistant carries one too. Oh, forgot to mention my assistant is my wife. When she cannot make the outing I just take a larger bag or backpack like my ONA. I've got all this glass so why not carry it. The hell with the weight. When I'm 80 I'll cut back on the weight. Oh, better hurry as that's only 10 years away. Did not mention the MF I often carry too. Having only studied photography for 2 years now, my life is never dull. To me the most boring part is the PP stuff, but love actual printing.

My real dilemma comes next year with the arrival of the new M and then the long R glass I'm currently stocking up on.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's easy: One lens unless I take two cameras

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One lens... Tri-Elmer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually one lens, sometimes two. Very rarely more unless I'm on travel somewhere, and usually not even then.

On the M9, 50 or 35 in that order are the most common choices, with the 90 coming in third.

Post Thanks / Like

Between 1 and 5. Typically the cron 35 or lux 50 fora one lens set, but sometimes I'll bring every one of my lenses. At the size and weight of leica lenses I see no point in limiting myself to 1 lens if I think there will be opportunities to use the others.

Post Thanks / Like

35 and 75. Or just a 50.
    Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to say one either a 50mm or 35mm, but sometimes it is hard to resit that just one more lenses urge even though i know for sure less is more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While I like to default to the 50'Lux, I'm constantly wanting to use other lenses. It could be that it's new so I want to get acquainted with it, or it's a lens that I have not used for a while. So, what goes in the bag is the 50 plus whatever I'm in mood for.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shooting Voigtländer M-mount glass on NEX 7 bodies, so I usually have the 28mm f2 on one body and the 75mm f2.5 on the other. Mind you, I'm like others here and generally carry my Domke F3 bag with the 12mm f5.6, the 21mm f4, 50mm f1.5 and 90mm f3.5 lenses. You just never know when you might need that other focal length!

Post Thanks / Like

Usually, I'm definitely in the "take a bag with lenses" camp. I've got a Nex-7 as well, so it's not all M lenses I bring, and it depends on where I'm going. But it's the 21 or 28 on the camera and maybe the other, the 35/1.2, 50/2, maybe the 135/4 (or a long SLR lens) in the bag.

For going out somewhere with a bunch of friends or family, I might try to simplify a bit. A 35mm equivalent would be great, and if you'll be out at night or indoors, a faster one. With my lenses I might take the 21/3.4 and 35/1.2 in that condition. Well, or my 24/2 ZA since that's fast-ish and 36mm equiv, and I'd get AF if I wanted it. But that's rather off-topic. . .

Post Thanks / Like

I normally carry my Domke F-5XB bag, M9 and 3 lenses: 28 or 35, 50 and 90. It's a pretty small setup, but sometimes I just put 28,35 or 50 on the camera, and leave the bag home, making sure I have a full battery and an empty SD card.

-robert

Post Thanks / Like

If you can only have 1 lens for a day trip which would it be?

For me a 35mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    If you can only have 1 lens for a day trip which would it be?

For me a 35mm.
    50mm for me. I spend most of the time shooting only a 50mm lens. I tried switching to 35mm for several months, but I kept finding that all of my pics were better with a bit of a crop, so I went back to 50mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the day, and on the trip. Tomorrow I'm heading off for the weekend and I'll bring a 50, .. and a 90 as I think there will be good reason to have that along.

Post Thanks / Like

2xM9, 15, 21, 28, 35, 50 and 75... All in a small Lowepro baggy... Any day, any trip, any where...

Post Thanks / Like

One day ... 35 + 90 will allow you to sleigh most dragons ...

Post Thanks / Like

is carrying around only 1 lens 24/7 really a myth when you have the option to carry at least 1 or 2 more?

i have been trying to say i will only carry 1 to clarify my shooting but i keep bringing 2 sometimes 3.

knowing you have 1 focal length always me at least to stop thinking about changing lenses and work with what i have and move my feet more.

i do think you can move your feet and all but a image shot with a 24mm looks that way most of the time and an image shot with a 50mm looks like a 50mm shot most of the time.

everybody is different but any insight to what works better?

i am thinking 2-3 lenes is the best comprise for me (24mm,35,50) and 1 lens is maybe too limiting.

any insight on this from longtime leica shooters?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post

knowing you have 1 focal length always me at least to stop thinking about changing lenses and work with what i have and move my feet more.
    Sometimes it just isn't possible to move your feet...

A little over a month ago I was shooting a waterfall in a remote part of Hunan Province. I took a lot of wide shots, mostly with the 21SEM, but also some 35 Summilux. As I was shooting from this location I noticed the steps leading down to the base of the falls (lower right side of image), and decided to get some images from that vantage point.

When I eventually made my way to the base of the falls I discovered that a local man had climbed down the cliff and was fishing in the middle of the falls. He was quite a distance from where I was standing, and obviously I couldn't use my feet to get any closer. I quickly switched to the 90 Elmarit-M and caught a single frame as he looked up.

Nobody can tell you what gear to carry or what to shoot, but for me I like knowing that I am usually as prepared as possible for whatever I might encounter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not seldom that I find myself in a situation where the lens on the camera will not suffice. Thus, I always travel with more than one lens because many times moving my feet just will not get me what I am looking for in a particular situation.
    In more than one instance I have tried a 35 to no avail and then tried a 50 and still did not like the scene until I switched to a 90. Other times I have not liked the scene until switching to an 18 or even 16 on my WATE.

Take plenty of glass and never be without. Take too few and lament that that special shot is gone forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It really depends on how you want to hone your personal style and art. Too much complexity can often detract from a situation, but it just depends on the individual. Most of the fine art photographers that I admire use a single prime most of the time, but I'm into contemporary art more than travel photography, wedding photography, nature photography, etc, so YMMV.

The way I look at it, no matter where one stands in the world, there are a million photographic opportunities with any lens that you can think of. You could stand in one place and shoot macros, wide landscapes, narrower landscapes, tele shots of a bird, abstracts, etc. all day without moving, but, to me, limiting myself helps develop a direction and vision.

I generally only bring a 50mm lens, and, when I do bring a 28 and 90, I only use those in rare, necessary circumstances, which, honestly, don't come up that often. I'm certainly no HCB, but he usually carried a 35, 50 and 90, and you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of shots from him at anything other than 50mm, but, again, it just depends on what type of photography that you want to create.

Bringing one lens, bringing 20 lenses, or bringing something in between all works well for different people. Granted, gooomz, since you're not sure, I'd recommend starting simple, first.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it's a serious question. I mean, how complicate can it be, really?
    If it is, please remember that you can only shoot one lens at once, therefore you only need one lens.
    Uno.

Post Thanks / Like

if I take 1 lens 50 Summilux
    if I take 2 lenses 35 Summilux and 90 Summicron
    if I take 3 lenses 28mm Elmarit, 50 Summilux , 90 Summicron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I usally take 3 lenses (during day time):
    - Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm (WATE)
    - Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm (MATE)
    - Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm
    all in a self-configured small non-photo-bag. For me that's the lightest and most versatile package for travel and architecture.

Sometimes I leave the WATE and take the Nokton 1.4 40mm or the Tele-Elmar 135mm.

That's from today with M9 and WATE 16mm:

Post Thanks / Like

I typically bring 21/28/50/90 in the smallest bag CourierWare makes. The first lens I'll leave behind is the 90 if I'm going out with friends at night, or alternatively, bringing along a DSLR with 70-200/4. Sometimes instead of the 90 I'll bring the CV12.