The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how many lenses for day trip

gooomz

for a day trip with family i like to take out 2 lenses with me always a 50mm and maybe a 24mm or 35mm?

i try to avoid taking 3 lenses as that just gets in the way.

lately i have been thinking about taking just 1 lens out instead of 2.

maybe just take a 35mm as that is the greatest comprise if i am only going to have 1 lens.

how many lenses do you take for a day trip with family/friends?

StephenPatterson

Impossible question, too much depends upon destination, but here's a go.

Out the door M9-P in hand with 35 Summilux FLE mounted.

I always carry a bag, because I never know when I might need to stash the camera away for protection. One reason I use the Wotancraft bags is because they have a waterproof insert. Anyway, I might end up on the back of a motor taxi or in a flood (don't ask), so a bag makes the trip. Leica lenses are not big, and not all that heavy, and as I've got the bag I might as well put some lenses inside. A lens left behind captures no images.

I always have one 50. I almost always have the 21SEM and 90 Elmarit-M.

So, one lens on the camera and three in the bag is my norm. There are LOTS of occasions where I carry three lenses around all day and never shoot with anything except the 35 Summilux, but I am ready all the same.

The 15CV and 18SEM come along when needed, or when I think they haven't had much love. Likewise with some of my vintage glass.

Shashin

That depends on who I am. If I am me, then one.

My first book that was published, all the work was taken with one lens. A book published this year had 90–95% of the work done with one lens and the rest taken with two other focal lengths. Personally, working with a single focal length does not bother me and I don't crop my images, preferring to shoot full frame.

Someone else will come out with an entirely different answer...

mdwsta4

When I walk out the door I only take one lens regardless of which camera I'm using. It's typically a 35mm or 50mm lens. That challenges me and allows me to see things differently depending on where I'm at. Not to mention it's light, compact, and I don't have to worry about carrying anything extra.

ghoonk

I'm with Stephen - on a day trip, I have my Hadley Pro with an M9P + 35 cron IV attached and an MM + 50 cron V attached and a 21 Super Elmar and a Zeiss 21 finder with my microfibre cleaning cloth and 2 batteries in a small neoprene pouch.

With a really lightweight setup, I have an Eastpack waist pack where I just toss in 2 lenses (50 and 21), and have my M9P/MM on a Gordy sling strap across my body. The lenses weigh very little, the cleaning cloth next to nothing, and the batteries too.

edwardkaraa

I usually take my camera along to work. Before leaving the house I will choose which lens I will take along, normally just one. 90% of the time it's either 35 or 50. Wider and longer lenses are too specialized so I rarely take them unless I have something in mind for them. For a family outing I would follow the same principle. But I will take all the lenses for longer trips.

douglasf13

I usually just take the M9 on a strap with a 50mm. If I bring a bag, I may bring along my 28 and 90, since they are both very tiny, but that is rare. Now that it is finally starting to cool off in Southern California, I may start tossing my 28 in a jacket pocket, but I really feel like I can get away with just a 50 for most non-specialized things.

algrove

It is subject dependent, but I fill my bag on those day out trips for just in case shots. You do not mention 2 bodies, but I always take an M9 and my MM. Normally use a Billingham for Leica lately and my assistant carries one too. Oh, forgot to mention my assistant is my wife. When she cannot make the outing I just take a larger bag or backpack like my ONA. I've got all this glass so why not carry it. The hell with the weight. When I'm 80 I'll cut back on the weight. Oh, better hurry as that's only 10 years away. Did not mention the MF I often carry too. Having only studied photography for 2 years now, my life is never dull. To me the most boring part is the PP stuff, but love actual printing.

My real dilemma comes next year with the arrival of the new M and then the long R glass I'm currently stocking up on.

Godfrey

Usually one lens, sometimes two. Very rarely more unless I'm on travel somewhere, and usually not even then.

On the M9, 50 or 35 in that order are the most common choices, with the 90 coming in third.

Kokoshawnuff

Between 1 and 5. Typically the cron 35 or lux 50 fora one lens set, but sometimes I'll bring every one of my lenses. At the size and weight of leica lenses I see no point in limiting myself to 1 lens if I think there will be opportunities to use the others.

gooomz

i would like to say one either a 50mm or 35mm, but sometimes it is hard to resit that just one more lenses urge even though i know for sure less is more.

Hosermage

While I like to default to the 50'Lux, I'm constantly wanting to use other lenses. It could be that it's new so I want to get acquainted with it, or it's a lens that I have not used for a while. So, what goes in the bag is the 50 plus whatever I'm in mood for.

simonclivehughes

I'm shooting Voigtländer M-mount glass on NEX 7 bodies, so I usually have the 28mm f2 on one body and the 75mm f2.5 on the other. Mind you, I'm like others here and generally carry my Domke F3 bag with the 12mm f5.6, the 21mm f4, 50mm f1.5 and 90mm f3.5 lenses. You just never know when you might need that other focal length! :D

Taylor Sherman

Usually, I'm definitely in the "take a bag with lenses" camp. I've got a Nex-7 as well, so it's not all M lenses I bring, and it depends on where I'm going. But it's the 21 or 28 on the camera and maybe the other, the 35/1.2, 50/2, maybe the 135/4 (or a long SLR lens) in the bag.

For going out somewhere with a bunch of friends or family, I might try to simplify a bit. A 35mm equivalent would be great, and if you'll be out at night or indoors, a faster one. With my lenses I might take the 21/3.4 and 35/1.2 in that condition. Well, or my 24/2 ZA since that's fast-ish and 36mm equiv, and I'd get AF if I wanted it. But that's rather off-topic. . . :D

tele_player

I normally carry my Domke F-5XB bag, M9 and 3 lenses: 28 or 35, 50 and 90. It's a pretty small setup, but sometimes I just put 28,35 or 50 on the camera, and leave the bag home, making sure I have a full battery and an empty SD card.

-robert

douglasf13

If you can only have 1 lens for a day trip which would it be?

For me a 35mm.
50mm for me. I spend most of the time shooting only a 50mm lens. I tried switching to 35mm for several months, but I kept finding that all of my pics were better with a bit of a crop, so I went back to 50mm. :)