The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Low battery nagging screen

edwardkaraa

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I couldn't help but notice the frequent low battery nagging screens when the charge is below 25%.

I understand the M9 will turn off automatically when the charge is too low, so I guess it is alright to keep on shooting and ignore the warnings?

Nevertheless, these nagging screens are pretty annoying :D

StephenPatterson

To be honest I so seldom see this screen I cannot even remember what it looks like.

I shot around 300 images this morning, and my battery is still around 70% full. I have two more batteries in reserve, and so to be always ready to shoot I will change out a battery before it gets to 25%. I have never gone through three batteries in a single day.

rscheffler

Edward, there is speculation that shooting on a low battery might contribute to image banding and/or other issues related to writing images to the card.

Out of habit I tend to change the battery when it reaches about 50%, which is also about when I fill a 16GB card with uncompressed DNGs.

edwardkaraa

Hi Ron! Thanks for the info. My M9 is the most recent batch, and I suspect, or hope, these issues have been resolved. I have not seen any banding so far, and I plan to squeeze the battery to it's limits next time, just to see if anything like that occurs :)

rscheffler

Edward, my experience has been that banding typically occurs when reviewing images while the camera is still writing to the card, especially if the buffer is full, or there are more than one or two images in the buffer queue. Also, the banding may not be visible until trying to lift shadow levels. And, there has been speculation banding is related to the brand and model of memory card used... It's a pretty gray area, though I have been able to force my early production camera to produce banding, but typically by filling the buffer and reviewing images while the buffer writes to the card. Out of habit now I never review images until the red light stops blinking.

edwardkaraa

Thanks again Ron. Just for the fun of it, I will try to reproduce this case tonight :)

It would be interesting to see .