The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Henri in Africa

StephenPatterson

Wonderful article Jaap. The very first image of the school children just grabs you with those wonderful tones and details, and then the rest of your images build upon that. Very well done.

jonoslack

Excellent Jaap - like Stephen I really love the first image.
Nowadays I'm suffering somewhat without my MM - I think we swapped over almost at the same time (mine went back - yours was delivered). It's missed.

all the best
Jono

ramosa

Jaap,

Cool post, including story and images. I really like the first image, with its use of depth and classic feel. As you know, there have been lots of MM posts recently (here and on RFF and LUF). I'm trying to figure it all out--without having even used an MM. I really like some of the resulting images and understand that the MM images permit great possibilities in post-processing. My question ... Is there a noticeable difference between MM b&w images and M9 b&w images that you can readily see when printing at, say, 11x14?

Thanks for any input you may have--and thanks for providing me with a vicarious journey to Malawi ...

R

D&A

Really excellent Japp! As others have mentioned, the first shot is superb. From there, the description of your trip and along with pointers regarding travels in central Africa accompanied by the rest of your images, made for very enjoyable reading. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

ashwinrao1

Lovely images and write up, Jaap. The last of the images sings the most to me...love the motion and energy there. The first is fantastic as well.

Henri is quite a camera, no?

Ashwin

V

Vivek

Hi Jaap, Thanks for the post.

Your write up is exactly in line with my impression of you from our one time meeting years ago! Super nice guy! :thumbs:

Congrats on a great trip and very nice article, it speaks in images. It's a nice change to see healthy African's living the simple life. I travel to Viet Nam a lot and always come back invigorated by the energy, friendliness and hospitality of people who live off the land. I wonder if all our modernity is really worth it sometimes.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jaap,

What a wonderful photo series....and I do love the tonalities of the Monochrom.

Your ability to capture moments that seem truly dynamic and spontaneous affords us a wonderful view of such a complex environment. I have worked in West Africa for the past 10 years on short term humanitarian medical relief missions and appreciate the shy sensitive demeanor of the host community. After some 10 years previously in the Western Hemisphere I prefer the climate and stresses of Africa/Asia....

You have truly bridged the gap in that all of your pictures reflect their acceptance of your presence and impact...indeed a nice accomplishment.

Hope to see more of your Monos in the future...

Regards,

Bob