The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here using the Leica ME

VINCET

Just wondering how many here opted for the ME instead of the M9 or M9-P. Personally, I am not sold on the color of the body.

StephenPatterson

OK, wait just a second...there...now I've ripped the frame preview lever off of my M9, does that count?

Actually I would love an M-E, as the color matches my U-Boat...

:D

V

Vivek

Just wondering how many here opted for the ME instead of the M9 or M9-P. Personally, I am not sold on the color of the body.
M9, M9-P, ME- all the same cams with minor variations. Leica are a clever bunch rehashing the same old stuff with a different catalog number.

Personally, I would like to have the MM- another variant with a steeper price tag.

fotografz

I don't like the body color either. Probably deliberate to allow existing stocks of M9/M9Ps to get sold. Bet the next ME will be all black.

I'll wait for the new M and maybe get one later ...but frankly, my M9P in beautiful classic chrome seems to do the job for when I shoot color, and the MM takes over when the light goes down since I convert most low light stuff to B&W anyway.

-Marc

algrove

OK, wait just a second...there...now I've ripped the frame preview lever off of my M9, does that count?

Actually I would love an M-E, as the color matches my U-Boat...

:D
Wait a minute did you rip out the USB port on your M9 also? If not then you've got a hybrid M to go with your black and/or silver Prius.

algrove

The only draw IMO would be the ME's cheaper price. But my attention is more on the M or MM.
Recently dealers have been verbally offering M9's at about $500-700 more than the ME. I guess they wanted to clear out their M9 stock since being notified that ME's were on the way. That put the M9 price very close to the ME price.

And you do not have to buy a U-Boat to match your ME.

VINCET

I've seen many application of Anthracite Grey in German cars and they are usually very nice but for some reason, it just does not fit the M body well.

Well, so far, I don't know of anyone who bought one yet. Will it become the very rare digital M when all is said and done.

borge

A store here has both the M9, M9-P (both in black and silver) in stock, as well as the M-E. The M-E costs about 20% less than the M9... Who on earth would buy an M9 or M9-P at THAT much more money when the M-E delivers exactly the same?

V

Vivek

Anthracite colored digital camera, as noted, could become a collector item someday. :D

"Cheaper" and a potential collectible.

StephenPatterson

A store here has both the M9, M9-P (both in black and silver) in stock, as well as the M-E. The M-E costs about 20% less than the M9... Who on earth would buy an M9 or M9-P at THAT much more money when the M-E delivers exactly the same?
Many dealers are selling the M9 and M9-P at substantial discounts, so with a little research you can choose the one you like best with very little difference in price. Of course NOS inventory will not last long.

I have always used the frame preview lever on my M cameras and think it is a shame that Leica is taking this useful feature away. USB port? Really, I've got one of those? Just goes to show how much I've used that (ie never).

fotografz

Well, that was the idea behind the ME wasn't it?

When the new stock M9s are gone, the ME price will look even more attractive.

I should correct one of my statements ... I do not like the look of the ME color scheme in pictures. I've never seen one in person.

I didn't like the grey paint M9s either, and was elated when they produced the M9P in chrome ... which makes it different from most M9s.

I personally like the more durable, less fussy finishes of my chrome M9P and black chrome MM.

To each their own.

-Marc

borge

Many dealers are selling the M9 and M9-P at substantial discounts, so with a little research you can choose the one you like best with very little difference in price. Of course NOS inventory will not last long.

I have always used the frame preview lever on my M cameras and think it is a shame that Leica is taking this useful feature away. USB port? Really, I've got one of those? Just goes to show how much I've used that (ie never).
Yup, but not the dealers here in Norway. There's no discount on the M9/M9-P here. So basically the cost difference between a new M-E and a new M9-P here is currently a brand new Summicron 50mm f/2 to put it in perspective.

Hausen

Funny I had a look at ME in my local shop a couple of weeks ago and I quite like the colour. It looks different and I suppose they want it to differentiate it from M9.

VINCET

Picture might not do justice to the real thing. I wished they bring back their old M3 chrome finish to this ME.

algrove

Yup, but not the dealers here in Norway. There's no discount on the M9/M9-P here. So basically the cost difference between a new M-E and a new M9-P here is currently a brand new Summicron 50mm f/2 to put it in perspective.
Now based on that info, it seems that a trip to Paris could be free if you were to buy an M9 or M9P in France (or Germany or where ever else deals are to be had in Europe).

Godfrey

All this fuss ... over the color?

I like the black M9, and didn't go for a grey one because I wanted the black and was going to pay a bundle for it.. But if grey was all there was, it wouldn't make any difference to me. Same for anthracite. The M-E is an excellent M, that's what's important.

I do hope they reinstate the frameline selector in some future model. I don't use it much but it's nice to have. I remember a similar flap over the removal of the self timer in the M4-2.