The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feeling frustrated my new 50 Lux back focuses

RichEdg

Hi folks

I purchased a new Leica 50mm f1.4 last weekend. When I tested focus in the shop it focused spot on at very close distances around 1 meter. I thought that this would mean that the focus would be fine at all distances. However trying the lens over the week has shown that it back focuses when I attempt to focus on things more than a few meters away. I am going to try a new lens when one is available in a few weeks.

Is this focus problem at different distances a known issue with this lens?, or is my copy a dud? What are your experiences? How can Leica let such a top of line lens out of the factory without making sure that it works properly?

I must admit that the images taken over the week suggest that when you get the focus right the 50 lux can be a fantastic lens: the color, out of focus render, sharpness, etc is very nice indeed. I so want to find a copy that will work well.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Best wishes

Richard

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You need a quick test to see if its your camera or the lens. If you have an other lens 50mm or longer try some focus testing at about 3-4 meters. If the other lens is fine ..return the summilux immediately to your dealer. Do not accept any situation where the lens is returned to leica for you for calibration.

If you search here and over at the LUF you will find numerous posts on backfocusing,rangefinder calibration and Leica service. IMHO the 50Lux backfocusing issue is very common and difficult to resolve on a 50 Lux.

Paratom

Is this a new 50lux asph?
Mine did backfokus and I sent it to Leica, it focuses perfect now.
If you can try another sample I would do that.
If your M8 focuses fine with your other lenses - I would sent the 50asph for calibration or exchange.
If you are not sure about the camera I would send the camera together with the 50 to Leica.
I allready had several lenses which needed adjustment. In case of the 50 it is now one of my best lenses regarding perfect focus, even at f1.4
I gave up on the Noctilux though and sold it after sending it to Leica twice. I coud just not reliable focus the Noctilux.
It can lead to some frustration until one gets lens and camera to focus perfect, but IMO its worth the effort.
Regards, Tom

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Richard, Mine was perfect with my M8 but front focused on my .2. I sent it and my camera to DAG. Don had it for a week and a half I got it back last week and it is spot on. Cost about $120.00.

RichEdg

Hi Folks

Thank you for the responses. I am in New Zealand so looking at other copies of the 50 lux is not easy! I will be awaiting the arrival of a new shipment in a few weeks and there is a 50 lux expected. I will have the opportunity to try that lens and exchange my current one.

I will do testing with other lenses to see if the focus issue is my camera or the lens and get back to you.

I wish I had experts like the people at DAG who could be close by to sort focus issues, but New Zealand is very far away. My only option is to send it off to Germany:(. I have in the past had to send my Nocilux, 75 and 35 luxes off to be adjusted three times with the camera! Months of waiting. Then they were finally fixed and focus very well. But now that M8 will only work with those three lenses all other lenses back focus. I purchased another M8 for the rest of my lenses. I was hoping that the new 50 lux would be a straight forward purchase. Buy it, use it, enjoy lovely shots. So far it looks like it may be complicated. Not why I got into taking photographs!

Best wishes

Richard

Paratom

Richard,
for the price of the 50lux it should be perfect fro, the company.
Well-reality seems that still lenses and cameras leave Leica which are not perfectly calibrated.
There is not much we can do about it. However if you own the Nocti you at least have a lens you can use if you have to send the 50asph in.
Cheers, Tom

Richard,
I know how frustrating it is to get a new lens only to have the excitement of a new lens turn into frustration with back-focus. Until you are able to get your lens swapped out, it may help to use a focusing technique which always achieves final focus when moving the focus ring from infinity toward near focus. This approach will let slight focus error work in your favor by bringing the intended focus point slightly forward such that the actual focus point (on a back-focusing lens) is moved up closer to the correct point. This approach may or may not help depending how far your lens is back-focusing. At least it is easy and free to try.

Mark

RichEdg

HI

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon testing the focus of my camera and lenses, particularly the new 50 lux. I found that it is definitely the new lens that has the problem. It will focus very nicely at 0.7 m but at 2-4 meters there is a considerable back focus. The other lenses focus correctly at different distances.

I did notice that even with a 1.25 magnifier or the Megaperls 1.33 magnifier it is a little hard to get critical focus when you are 3-4 meters away with a 75 or 90 lens. I think I may incest in a Leica 1.4 magnifier.

I will wait now for the replacement 50 lux to come into stock and see if that lens focuses any better.

I think that a company's reputation for quality products should be built on delivering a very high level product. I have had so many disappointments with Leica gear that it is hard to feel confident with making a new purchase.
I should note that I have had some nasty surprises from Canon gear as well!

Thanks for your input. I will let you know in a few weeks when the new Lux arrives how it is going.

Regards

Richard

RichEdg

New 50 Lux focuses Perfectly

I have had a chance to replace my 59 Lux with a new lens. After trying the new lens for a few days I am delighted to say that it seems to focus perfectly at all apertures and distances. What a lovely lens! Attached are some recent images.

Even more interesting is that I also got a replacement M8.2 (the first had a vertical misalignment of the rangefinder patch) this new camera works well with my Noctilux and 35 lux, sadly not with the 75 lux.

Best wishes
Richard

robmac

Shouldn't have happened in first place, but glad to see all worked out.

BTW - that is one pissed-off-looking pup ;>

lmr

Glad to see it worked out too...

My 50 lux Asph also back focus, but not that much. Hate to do w/o it so I am learning to live and adjust with it. Oddly enough, I just bought a 1969 50 lux and no focus problem. In fact all my older lens are spot on. Guess they do not make them like they used to.

Robert.