The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom to cease?

StephenPatterson

Why would ceasing production of the MM surprise everyone? :eek:
Because Leica still makes both the M7 and the MP, and I would venture sales of both of those two combined are a tiny fraction of MM deliveries in the last two months.

In spite of all the marketing hoopla about what a different camera the MM is the bill of materials and assembly technique is nearly identical to the M-E, and so having batches of Monochrom cameras flow down the M-E line would hardly sap resources from the new wunderkind M.

By the way, where is the new M? Christmas is coming and it has certainly been quiet the last few months...

bradhusick

The will probably do a Hermes MM with bright orange leather and a matching neck strap for only $5000 more than a standard MM.

Godfrey

Buncha cynics and curmudgeons around here, I see. ;-)

I have no idea when Leica will discontinue the Monochrom. Hopefully, not until after I can justify the expense of buying one, but likely just before.

G

woodyspedden

Seems to me ridiculous that rumors about the end of the Monochrome are flourishing well before the current batch of orders can be fulfilled.

On the other hand............this is Leica LOL

ashwinrao1

Rumors are just that...

The MM is selling well, with a backlog on orders. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

Best,
Ashwin

erudolph

As Marc says above, we do know a new facility will come online to increase capacity
I'm trying to remember what I heard, at a recent Leica Akademie, about the timeframe for bringing the new plant online.... it's going to be maybe a year, perhaps a bit less, til production will begin there??

iiiNelson

Buncha cynics and curmudgeons around here, I see. ;-)

I have no idea when Leica will discontinue the Monochrom. Hopefully, not until after I can justify the expense of buying one, but likely just before.

G
Agree with you. My mind is saying to spend the money on the new M but my heart is saying stick with the M9-P for now and just add the MM. My heart is slowly winning. I've always been curious with the Apochromatic Phase One camera but it was way too rich for my blood to even think about. This is the best alternative so far I think.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interestingly, Leica calls the MM "The future of digital black-and-white photography" on their website. Can they discontinue the future :confused:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, does anyone have any gauge on delivery times for Monochrom orders? I placed an order about six weeks ago or so and I'm just wondering how long folks, other than the very early orderers, were having to wait for their cameras?

Leica can stop production right after I've eventually got mine. (yes, I know, it's all about me) :ROTFL:

ashwinrao1

Hi Graham, MM's seem to be coming in at a slow trickle. I would suspect that a 3-6 month wait would be typical... just a guess though...

V

Vivek

The price has gone up a bit. I would like to see it come down a bit (unlikely) and with an availability notice so that I can think about getting one. If they stop production before that, oh, well!

It is quite likely that I would get a live view monochrome camera that can do UV/Vis/IR before the Leica purchase.

250swb

I'd consider Black Paint to be a down grade.
True for some, but at the end of a run Leica start the collectors editions as well, so expect an MM with black leatherette with white top and bottom plates (or visa versa), or a 'HCB' version of a chrome body covered in black tape.

Shashin

One day they will make a monochrom that can take pictures in a different color than gray...

JSRockit

They'll need to manufacture some kind of M body. The M9, M9P and (reputedly) M-E are finished, the M 240 still seems a world away from serial production. Good job for Leica that the Monochrom is proving so popular.
How is the M-E finished?

ashwinrao1

The M-E's finish is less textured, more plasticy (though it isn't plastic). I think they went to mag alloy rather than brass for some elements, or so I was told...it feels different in hand, probably due to the paint job/materials used for the top/bottom plate.