The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom Lens Preferences

charlesphoto

My Monochrom arrives today! Looking forward to using my 50mm pre-asph Lux which hasn't gotten much love on the M9. Think iit's creaminess wide open on the Mono should be nice. Also some f4 lenses like the 18mm super elmar and 90mm macro-elmar will be interesting to test at higher iso's in available light situations. Both are close to the chopping block to be able to afford other things (umm, like paying off the Mono itself) so we'll see. Really looking forward to this camera. Wish it had some of the body improvements of the M (couldn't Leica have incorporated at least a few - like more silent shutter and bigger display - considering the price?).

Glad to contribute to your MM by purchasing your nikon 135/2 DC Charles! I just might try and sell it back when my MM comes available. ;>)

charlesphoto

Hey Inner,

Thanks! I also had to sell my beautiful SWC, and a number of Leica lenses are going to have to come up on the chopping block. With two young kids I promised myself that from now on it's gear in/gear out.

If you are waiting on an MM, I would recommend trying Europe, esp the various Leica stores. I git my MM from Maison du Leica in Paris for $5300 euro (it's a refurb of some sort but with full two year warranty). With UPS (outrageous cost but not much choice) it was $7200. More importantly it was available. I've also seen them available at Robert White new for $7300. For some reason Leica's just not getting goods to the US.

Anyway, it didn't come yesterday (got out too late on Thursday) so Monday it will be.

Now that I have the MM a few days here's some experiences-
1. 50 lux asph is fabulous. Hard to imagine better IQ
2. 35 cron pre-asph V4 is looking really good, right from 2.0 where contrast is lower but resolution is superb with great tonailty. It may jump past the 35/1.4 asph pre FLE for me on the MM, whereas the lux has been my most used on the M9.
3. Zeiss 21/2.8 is just fabulous, with amazing edge to edge detail and punch.

PS for Charles- I am thinking of selling that 135/2 DC now, actually might sell all my nikon equipment. I just want to learn to use the MM fully including getting into piezograhy based printing. I don't see shooting the DSLR much going forward.

JPL

My observations are as follows:
21 2.8 Biogon - excellent
28 Summicron - excellent
35 Summicron V4 - excellent
50 Summicron 4/5 - excellent
90 Summicron (49mm Filterthread) - excellent

50 Sonnar-C looks very nice as well

24 Lux/ 35 Lux FLE look a bit booring....

Excellents means for me details, tones, treatment of highlights....
Booring means.... well technically perfect but booring on the long run.

I think with the Summicrons I am rather set now.... I will see what I will do with my 75 Lux :)

All the best

JP

woodyspedden

On the M9 I preferred both the 35 Cron and the 35 FLE. The 50 lux just didn't do it for me. In fact I thought maybe my copy had a focus issue and was about to send it in for recalibration.

Once I got the MM, I found the 50 lux asph was simply stunning and has become my go to lens. When I want a more classic rendering, I go with my old Nikkor 50 1.4 which is different but equally stunning. I also intend to really look at my 90 Elmarit which is now on its way back from Leica.

Woody

D&A

I think with the Summicrons I am rather set now.... I will see what I will do with my 75 Lux :)

All the best

JP
The 75mm Lux renders in a very beautiful way, especially if its calibrated precisely. I haven't tested it yet on a MM yet, although have ued it for B&W imagery on a M8.2 and M9. Knowing and experiencing the rendering of this lens well and from hearing from others who have used the combination of the MM and 75mm Lux, it's an exceptional pairing. Of course not as compact and light as the cron's :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
The 75mm Lux renders in a very beautiful way, especially if its calibrated precisely. I haven't tested it yet on a MM yet, although have ued it for B&W imagery on a M8.2 and M9. Knowing and experiencing the rendering of this lens well and from hearing from others who have used the combination of the MM and 75mm Lux, it's an exceptional pairing. Of course not as compact and light as the cron's :)

Dave (D&A)
Did I hear 75 lux? My absolute favorite for film, here's one of the 1st shots on the MM. Holy smokes.

algrove

So which one(s) is your favorite? Each shot taken with a different 50mm. I forgot one and must have erased it on the SD card. You can double click to enlarge.

Last edited:

D&A

Did I hear 75 lux? My absolute favorite for film, here's one of the 1st shots on the MM. Holy smokes.

Holly Smokes is right! Now all I need is a MM body to attach to the 75mm Lux, which is now in a lecia sealed bag after coming back from 6 bit coding. Hmmm, has anyone found my winning lottery tciket...you know, the one with the million dollar prize :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hey, Powerball is over 200 million once more.
Lou, can you do me a small favor? Pick me up the winning ticket and I'll treat you to 10 new M digital bodies and your choice of any 25 "R" lenses. It's the least I could do...LOL! Oh and of course a bottle of your favorite beverage, on me! :)

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Lou, can you do me a small favor? Pick me up the winning ticket and I'll treat you to 10 new M digital bodies and your choice of any 25 "R" lenses. It's the least I could do...LOL! Oh and of course a bottle of your favorite beverage, on me! :)

Dave (D&A)
The day I win anything like that is the day hell freezes over. But you can send me a bottle Chateau Margaux (1982) for pointing you in the right direction and a truck load if you win.

D&A

The day I win anything like that is the day hell freezes over. But you can send me a bottle Chateau Margaux (1982) for pointing you in the right direction and a truck load if you win.
You got a deal! :)

Dave (D&A)