The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What would you take...

rayyan

Would you take a M9/P/ME and:

1. Lux 50 asph or
2. Lux 35 FLE and a 75 cron apo

For a trip to SE Asia and possibly NZ.

Weight is not a consideration.

Thanks for your input.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would take the 35 and the 75 and even that would not be wide enough . Travel photography seems to be about providing some context (where was the photograph taken) with most photographs . So the fisherman but also some of his boat and other people around him . Add a 21/3.4SEM and you have a close to perfect kit.

StephenPatterson

My 35 Summilux FLE is never left behind. My most used focal length.

I'm about to leave for Thailand and Cambodia and will take a 15-21-35-50 kit.

iiiNelson

Between the two I'd go for choice 2. IF you add a 24 and a 90 to choice 1 I'd go for that maybe but if you add the 24 to choice 2 then I'd go with that probably.

rayyan

Hi Roger, Stephen, HiredArm.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Never really used a 21, but have the zm 21/4.5
So, I shall throw that in.
Plus the Sony RX100.:D
An extra pair of jeans, underclothing, 2 T-shirts, some meds, iPad, SF cards, Flash memory cards, iPhone,
2 chargers, 2 extra batteries.
That's 4 cameras. Passport and CC.
Small carry-on or a backpack.

Throw aways I can buy abroad.

That's it.

Now to ask my wife if I could go Pattaya and Vietnam on my own. So as not to
disturb her busy schedule.:D

Kindest regards.

D&A

I would take the 35 and the 75 and even that would not be wide enough . Travel photography seems to be about providing some context (where was the photograph taken) with most photographs . So the fisherman but also some of his boat and other people around him . Add a 21/3.4SEM and you have a close to perfect kit.
+1 . It's of course very subjective, but for the combination of travel photography and also the need to go light but have adaquate coverage, the trio of 21, 35 & 75 has usually been my personal choice.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

The 35mm and 70mm. If you need wider, stitch a panorama. In fact, I prefer stitching to ultra wides because the wide is just too much sky and foreground for my taste and cropping gives too much up. I have been happy to travel with a simple wide and tele.

Paratom

Would you take a M9/P/ME and:

1. Lux 50 asph or
2. Lux 35 FLE and a 75 cron apo

For a trip to SE Asia and possibly NZ.

Weight is not a consideration.

Thanks for your input.
If those are the lenses you own I would take 35 and 70.
If you dont need to travel super light I would even bring all three.
If you own a wider lenses as well I would take the wider lens, leave 35 at home and bring 50 and 75.

3 M lenses are not really heavy.

V

Vivek

Rayyan, You are planning to take a M9, M9P and the M-E?

I would take only two cameras (one as a back up) and all the lenses that I have.

What is the point of having a system camera if the lenses aren't going to be changed?

I would also pack a small flash, preferably with a radio trigger.

seakayaker

From the options in the question. M9P with the 35 and 75.

Working with the equipment I own. The kit I would take would be a 24/3.8 ~ 50/1.5 ~ 75/2 along with my M9. I would also be taking along a MP with a 35/2 and 90/2.8.

Enjoy your trip and post some photos when you return!

ashwinrao1

I generally take a 21/35/50/90 kit with me. Covers the spread within my comfort zone...For minimization, 35/75 is a nice combo. If you don't care to go wide, 35/50/90 is great. If you want 1 lens, either a 35 or 50 would be my choice.

Given your kit, Rayyan, I'd do the 35/75 combo and be done with it. Not much swapping of lenses, means more keepers. 35/75 covers a nice spread, allows for some reportage, some portraiture, some tele work...The only limitation is the awkward 75 mm frame lines...

rayyan

Gentlemen, wonderful advice and suggestion from you all.

I have a cron 90 asph, which is unused. Weighs more than me!
The 90 Elmarit-M is wonderful but I just feel I would have to add something between 35 and 90. Just me.

I tried the 21/4.5 today, with a cv vf. Just was not comfortable with the expansive view. Felt lost and lonely!

35 and 75 seem just right.
As to film, would mean another piece/s of equipment.

I am grateful to you folk. What an excellent bunch, we have here.:clap:

Best regards.

proenca

Sorry to be a bit on the late side, but out of you have said, my first pick would be the 35mm and the 75mm.

I love 35mm FL, being able to "tell a story" and get a bit of the surroundings in the picture and the 75mm for isolate details / persons / stuff.

One advice : Asia is a sensory overload. For a European ( speak for myself at least :) ) its a photographic disneyland. So much is new, different faces, habits, buildings. Keep it simple. Dont bring 2309842 lens. You will be lost trying to select which lens to use. And the moment will be gone.

Just use one main lens ( 35mm is perfect ) and keep the 75mm next to you when you want to isolate anything.

Have fun and take great pictures mate !

algrove

I am late too. Has anyone considered:

21 or 28

The 40 weighs less than the lens cap for the 75! Just joking, but it is a good FL and is a 2.0 lens.

Stuart Richardson

Not that I necessarily disagree with a choice of 35 and 75, more doesn't always mean better. Some of the best travel photos I ever took were from a trip where I only took a Hexar AF with its fixed 35/2. I think 35/75 is a good pair, but I would expect that you mostly use the 35. That's always how it has gone for me. If the trip is for enjoyment, sometimes having just a single lens and not having to think about it is a really good way to go. You get into the groove of working with that particular lens, and your pictures can improve as a result. And 4 cameras? Why?? Especially if 3 are the same...I would say one leica and maybe the rx100.

rayyan

Thanks again for your kind advice.

Stuart, the other two cams are the iPhone and the iPad.:D
My way of thinking is, if one needs one fl then it would be better to take a fixed lens cam..x2, x100 and the like.

I am grateful for your responses.

Kind regards.