The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is using an M for paid work viable?

Gary Clennan

I have seen many paid photographers doing portrait type work with a digital M. It is a capable tool which can produce stunning results in the right hands. I would also second the suggestions to start with your current setup and see where it takes you. You will likely upgrade a few lenses and perhaps switch to an M9 - who really knows. Keep in mind that some of these older lenses can limit your results and/or flexibility in certain situations. Sure you can get away with them but there may (or may not) be better options available for a little extra cash. Above all, take your time and don't rush out and buy a ton of gear right away...

MCTuomey

Fwiw, I do risk management professionally. Whatever you do next, purchase business (commercial) liability insurance if you get paid for any of your work, no matter how little or where or how. Listen to the professionals like Marc and Guy who've been in the business for years and seen the adversarial side.

Last edited: