The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SanDisk card failure after deleting shots

erudolph

I use class 10 SanDisk 8 gb cards. For more than two years I used just one of these cards in an M9 without problem. When the MM arrived I bought the same card. However, in two months I've had two cards fail, and both of these failures occurred immediately after I deleted some shots.

I guess I will stop deleting shots within camera.

edwardkaraa

Ed, you better stop using Sandisk class 10 8GB cards. They are the most problematic by all accounts.

I myself gave up on Sandisk altogether. I bought four Transcend 16GB class 10 and they all work flawlessly. I delete in the camera, review and magnify all the time while the camera is still writing. No problems.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I guess I will stop deleting shots within camera.

I never do this. Can be too error prone anyway. I have always large enough cards with me.

Double Negative

Not Available
Weird. I use nothing BUT SanDisk cards. Never an issue with them, deleting images or otherwise. Though I usually only delete while shooting and get an obvious dud. If I'm cleaning up the card for the next outing - I just format (w/o overwrite).

Maggie O

Weird. I use nothing BUT SanDisk cards. Never an issue with them, deleting images or otherwise. Though I usually only delete while shooting and get an obvious dud. If I'm cleaning up the card for the next outing - I just format (w/o overwrite).
I've read that formatting the cards in-camera or, especially, in a computer, causes more problems than simply deleting the files in-camera.

Anyone out there have a definitive answer?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I've read that formatting the cards in-camera or, especially, in a computer, causes more problems than simply deleting the files in-camera.

Anyone out there have a definitive answer?
Format vs delete is pretty much the same result in that the directory is cleared, but I habitually format every time I start a new shoot and have done so for years.
So far I have had no trouble ever with this procedure.
Oh and I have used SanDisk exclusively for the last several years, but always their fastest but not necessarily their largest models.
-bob

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
It has always been a good practice not to delete images off the card in an important shoot. You also want to format in camera like Bob suggested as well.

I don't know why it can cause problems, perhaps if you delete when the buffer is still writing.

Maggie O

I only delete after moving files into Aperture and onto backup drives. I've got 32G cards, so there's no need to delete whilst shooting.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I don't know why it can cause problems

Delete is a more complicated operation as it has to change the FAT (file allocation table). Format just clears it.