The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica m9 iso 800 vs 640

douglasf13

Yes, I see them now. Thanks. Strange they do not appear to my eyes in the first photo. Why would it be color dependent?
Banding is sneaky with the M9, with various causes, but I'm not sure what caused it in Daniel's second photo, and I'm also not sure if the banding would have still been there had Daniel used a higher ISO. I've personally not seen banding using this technique that wouldn't also show up by raising ISO.

algrove

Douglas-
You have good eyes and the experience when looking at images, even on the net.

If you could do me a favor, take a look the the thread "Fun with the M Monochrom..." page 7, post #671. Double click it to enlarge it and then tell me if you see any strange pattern all over the image. Thanks.

algrove

It was taken on the MM. It must be a difference in monitors, but for me it is on page 7 and #671 (under the thread "Fun with the Leica M Monochrom" started by Brad Husick) which is a soldier's statute taken at night. I have a 30" IPS matte monitor and I see nothing like a wavy pattern just fine grain since it was shot at ISO 2500.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
Ahh, probably different posts/page defaults we each have set. In any event, that link should take you right to it...

The pattern might look different depending on each person's monitor to some degree... On my (less than ideal) laptop display, the pattern is quite obvious.

douglasf13

It was taken on the MM. It must be a difference in monitors, but for me it is on page 7 and #671 (under the thread "Fun with the Leica M Monochrom" started by Brad Husick) which is a soldier's statute taken at night. I have a 30" IPS matte monitor and I see nothing like a wavy pattern just fine grain since it was shot at ISO 2500.
That pattern is pretty obvious on my 24" Matte IPS, 15" Macbook Retina, and my smart phone, fwiw. I wonder what is going on with your monitor, if you're not able to see the banding in some of these pics?

V

Vivek

Ditch that monitor. Eizo or Quato - worth your dime.

algrove

I took a look on my Macbook Air and it is on page 14 on that computer.

Now on to the important thing. I see no wavy patterns, lines or anything else on that Air either when looking at that image.

I guess the only way for me to see it would be to print it as Vivek had earlier suggested and cautioned against.

algrove

That pattern is pretty obvious on my 24" Matte IPS, 15" Macbook Retina, and my smart phone, fwiw. I wonder what is going on with your monitor, if you're not able to see the banding in some of these pics?
The banding is clear to me with this monitor on the green image, once you told me what to look for. So that is good.

algrove

@douglasf13,Vivek and Double Negative--

Could you kindly look at the same image on the LUF under R lenses "First Try-MM + APO 4/280" and tell me if the same problem occurs with this image on your monitors? Thanks.

Last edited:

Double Negative

Not Available
Yup, I see it on that version also. So I guess that would rule out host-side (forum attachment) manipulation of the image.

Weird that the Air doesn't show it either.

algrove

I sent the same image to 3 different friends with Mac's and they do not see it either. That was why I thought as you say host-side interference. Guess not.
I also just re-calibrated my monitor, just in case, but no change for me. Thanks for checking.

douglasf13

@douglasf13,Vivek and Double Negative--

Could you kindly look at the same image on the LUF under R lenses "First Try-MM + APO 4/280" and tell me if the same problem occurs with this image on your monitors? Thanks.
Yep, there's still that waffle pattern, at least on my Macbook Retina.

gooomz

I shoot a lot at night and for me every stop counts and I know Leica has fast glass and can shoot at a slower shutter speed but I was wondering about the sensor iso compared to nikon/canon/sony?

seems to me that the m9 is maybe about 2-3 stops behind when talking about usable images and only talking about sensor iso. is that right?