Site Sponsors

Thread: Shaving Leica R lens to work on Nikon D800/E

Post Thanks / Like

Shaving Leica R lens to work on Nikon D800/E

This has been discussed on and off in the past ...but I am wondering about the practical experience both good and bad . Two of the very best Leica R lenses ..the 19/2.8 Elmarit V2 and the 35/1.4 Summilux both require some shaving of the shroud surrounding the rear elements . When focused at infinity the edge will clip the mirror on a D800/E (same issue on most Canon FF bodies).

The Leica R glass produces the aesthetic (look) that works best with my Leica M and S photographs . The sensor of course imparts some of the look but the glass is the larger factor . (We may see this as the M moves from CCD to CMOS) .

I ve been looking for a 19/2.8 and another member asked me ....do you know any repair service that would shave the lens ? Seemed like a good question ..however most photographers that are adapting the lens seem to trust the work to themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaving Leica R lens to work on Nikon D800/E

I have used my R-50/1.4 on Nikon D800 and only had to remove the black rubber on the rear of the lens. I used a Leitax adapter. Their site is a wealth of information and I think if you pick your specific lenses and follow the links you will get detailed instructions.

I do know that the R-50/1.4 is wonderful on the Nikon D800... the Nikon 50/1.4 not so much.

Other R lenses look great on the M240. I have several long R lenses of the APO variety and they work well on my M. They also work well with just an adaptor on the Canon 5D series cameras.

Algrove has a lot of experience with R lenses. And, to answer your question - no.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaving Leica R lens to work on Nikon D800/E

This was followed up on another thread . I have had two lenses shaved by DAG and in both cases he did a great job . I bought the Leitax chipped mounts and sent the lens and mount to DAG . I have converted 6 Leica R lenses to Nikon mounts .