The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for Leica lenses for portraits recommendations

dmabry2010

Greetings and Happy Holidays!!

I have an M9, which enjoy using generally for travel photographs. My question here is which which lenses, and what focal lengths, would you recommend for portraits.

Here are some lenses I have tried:

75mm Summicron ASPH, which my subject (wife) thinks is too sharp. I think she is right.

90mm chrome Summicron pre-ASPH made in the early sixties, which, while softer, doesn't pick up the "mood", if that makes sense.

100mm Canon, which I purchased from a Forum member, that of the these three seems to do the best.

Now, anticipating the new M, I have been picking up longer R lenses. I purchased a 100mm APO 2.8, which could work well. I would be curious for opinions of that one.

Also, I have read where the 80mm Summilux-R offers a nice rendering. With the new M and LiveView, that could be a candidate, too. Opinions on this candidate would be appreciate.

Other candidates?

Any other recommended focal lengths outside the 80mm-100mm focal lengths I have tried?

Again, thank you for all the help Forum contributors have been.

-- dmabry2010

75mm Summicron ASPH, which my subject (wife) thinks is too sharp. I think she is right.

.... I purchased a 100mm APO 2.8, which could work well. I would be curious for opinions of that one.

Having owned both of these, I´d say: If the 75 is ´too sharp´, then the 100 Apo Makro Elmarit will just about cut her ears off...:rolleyes:

It is a great lens; I´d even say a unique one...but VERY detailed, sharp and contrasty. Also, a big beast for its f.l. and speed. If you bought it, do keep it and enjoy (I still kick myself for selling mine some years ago), but look elsewhere for a nice portrait lens. If I were you, I´d look for a good copy of the `thin´ Tele Elmarit 90/2.8: small, RF coupled, and very nice drawing.

Maggie O

JWW

My two favorite portrait lenses are the 75mm Summilux and 50mm Noctilux ASPH. I've noticed that these two lenses help generate pictures that people have been pleased with, in terms of their portraits, as well as having nice bokeh and narrow DOF.

D&A

My two favorite portrait lenses are the 75mm Summilux and 50mm Noctilux ASPH. I've noticed that these two lenses help generate pictures that people have been pleased with, in terms of their portraits, as well as having nice bokeh and narrow DOF.
+1! I can wholeheartedly agree with both these recommendations for a wide variety of portrait uses, having had considerable experience with both. This doesn't exclude some other older classic rangefinder lenses that also are very appealing for this use. Out of the these two mentioned, in my opinion, the f1.0 Noct often fits a narrower range of portrait uses and renders with a very noticable fingerprint, which can make it unique among portrait lenses but narrows its more universal use for this purpose. It's other obvious uses are well known and documented and when used effectively, makes for some interesting imagery.

The 75mm Lux has the distinction of rendering in a very appealing way for portraits when shot wide open or slightly stopped down, but with a wider range of portrait uses than the Noct. (again my opinion) and records details extremely well without overdoing it. The way it draws an image is one of its notable strengths. When stopped down further, it is an exceptional general use 75mm and can stand with the best of them in terms of optical performance.

There is of course no one perfect portrait lens and everyone has their favorite and a good case can be made for many of them.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I own a 90 Summicron Pre-ASPH (the one just before the current one so version 4 I believe) that I think is great for portraits but is on the largish size of M lenses. I has a lot of sharpness stopped down to f/4 and beyond but is great for portraits wide open IMO. There's details but it's forgiving and most people like that aspect of it which is why I won't upgrade to the AA version of it. The focus throw is on the long side of M lenses but nothing ridiculous when to use the scale to estimate to get you in the right area.

I've tried a 75 Summilux and I kick myself still for not buying one 2 years ago when I had the chance for a very good price. It's probably best used and most known for being a "portrait lens." I hear the Zeiss 85/2 Sonnar ZM is great as well if you can find one.

D&A

HiredArm mentions another supern portarit lens which I used for years both in the film and digital era before I eventually sold it to fund some unrelated equipment. Specifically it was the 90mm Cron Pre AA, the exact version he mentioned, which was the one just prior to the current 90mm AA lens. I had tried early versions of the 90mm Cron prior to the one just before the AA, but although they are supposed to be optically the same, I felt the images they produced looked different. Maybe Leica changed the coatings but whatever it was, the last pre AA version was one of my favorites. Perfectly described, excellent portrait lens from wide to f4 and when stopped down further an excellent and sharp performing lens.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

algrove

Puts considers the performance of the R 1.4/80 and the M 1.4/75 on equal footing. Mandler lenses are great!

robsteve

Subscriber
I have used and owned pretty well all of them. As you have already noticed, the 75mm APO Summicron is too sharp. I could never get along with the 75mm Summilux or the APO Summicron. I found with the M, I had too many miss-framed shots because of the odd way 50mm and 75mm frame lines both show at the same time. Having said that, with the new M and the electronic viewfinder, you might be able to get along well with a 75mm Summilux. I have my doubts if it will be easy to focus accurately with an electronic finder. At f1.4, the 75mm Summilux is actually harder to get in focus shots with than the Noctilux.

You may also want to try the 90mm Summicron ASPH. It has a very smooth transition to the out of focus areas. The older 90mm Summicron-M that you have would be soft and glowing wide open and up close. Though many years apart, here are a couple pictures of my son with the 90mm Summicron-R at f2, which would be equivalent to your lens, maybe a bit better. The second photo is just recently with a 90mm APO Summicron I have, but it is an Elcan version and may be different than the regular 90mm APO Summicrons.

My eldest son, about five years ago, we were on a beach down south, 90mm APO ASPH Summicron.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Puts considers the performance of the R 1.4/80 and the M 1.4/75 on equal footing. Mandler lenses are great!
I wouldn't buy the R lens unless you wanted to use it on a SLR as well. The 80mm Summilux is bigger than the 75mm Summilux and the focus mounts on the 80mm Summilux are not as smooth and can be a bit stiff. You might as well get the M lens and also have the benefit of the rangefinder for focusing.

thrice

As soon as someone says portrait I think Sonnar.
If you can find a copy of the 105/2.5 Nikkor-P.C. in screw mount I find mine very pleasing (it is a Sonnar design).
I hope my sister doesn't mind me posting pictures of her haha

cam

lots of good suggestions on lenses!

i'd suggest, though, it's not just the glass that makes the difference, but also how you shoot, where the light is, and where you point your focus.

one of my best portraits of a lady of a certain age was done with the 35 Summilux, in the fall sun of Amsterdam, wide open, focused on the hands in her lap.

with practice, i think you can make any lens you already have work quite beautifully... then again, i'm all for any excuse in acquiring new lenses too ;)

(and you can put me as a plus three for the 75 Summilux and the 50/1 as favourites)

Paratom

Greetings and Happy Holidays!!

I have an M9, which enjoy using generally for travel photographs. My question here is which which lenses, and what focal lengths, would you recommend for portraits.

90mm chrome Summicron pre-ASPH made in the early sixties, which, while softer, doesn't pick up the "mood", if that makes sense.

100mm Canon, which I purchased from a Forum member, that of the these three seems to do the best.

Now, anticipating the new M, I have been picking up longer R lenses. I purchased a 100mm APO 2.8, which could work well. I would be curious for opinions of that one.

Also, I have read where the 80mm Summilux-R offers a nice rendering. With the new M and LiveView, that could be a candidate, too. Opinions on this candidate would be appreciate.

Other candidates?

Any other recommended focal lengths outside the 80mm-100mm focal lengths I have tried?

Again, thank you for all the help Forum contributors have been.

-- dmabry2010
1) I dont find the Summicron 75 too sharp and I like it quite a lot. But yes, it is sharp and if you dont like sharp its not your lens
2) Very balanced lens I find the 90/2.8 Leica and also the 85/2.0 Zeiss (I think this would be my favorite besides its big size)
3) if you like 75mm and think the Summicron is too sharp then evtl. the 75 Summarit

Personally -even if I would get the new M-I would try to stay with rangefinder lenses as much as I can because I like the size and I like the OVF.
My most used lens in this range is the 75 Summicron though. small, sharp, powerful, close focusing if you need it, and I like the shorter distance to subject compared to 90mm

rich_

Good luck finding what you're after!

I like my Sonnar 50mm 1.5, It gives a real warm rounded glow in my eyes. But I'm still not perfect at compensating the focus at f1.5. The Nokton 1.1 50mm also creates some interesting results!
I guess these lenses may mean you have to get closer than the 75/90s you were speaking about though.

Hope everyone had a good Xmas/Holiday break ;-)

Rich

Maggie O

I love the C Sonnar 50/1,5, also. Mine must have come optimized, because I've had nary a problem with focus at any aperture.

Shashin

If you are using this in the streets when traveling, I would say a 50mm lens will be the ideal portrait lens. The portrait focal length used in a studio I find too long, both in a practical sense as well as aesthetic.

There really is not such thing as a portrait lens. What I would do is look at your work and other work you admire and find the portraits that seem the most powerful for you. Then figure out what focal lengths they were taken with. I found a lens around normal has always given me what I find the most captivating results. This is purely personal. I find the longer "traditional" focal lengths dull. Naturally, you cannot hang back to take a portrait with a 50mm, but that engagement is also why the 50mm makes for more interesting portraits in my view.

I am not sure the answer for you will come down to a simply number. I think you need to start with what a good portrait is for you.

ashwinrao1

Much depends on how you frame, as stated above. The longer the lens, the less the overall distortion, but the less surroundings that you'd capture. But additionally, the longer the lens, the more likely you'd have to stop down to capture the whole face in focus...

In general, 75 mm-90 mm lenses are through to be ideal portrait lenses. Leica offers many options in this field, and I have tried a bunch out.... here are some options

1. 50 mm-- C-50 Sonnar: Great for portraits, sharp enough but forgiving, with a lovely OOF rendering. I have never tried the Zeiss Planar, but have heard it's solid as well.
-- 50 Summilux asph: Clinincal, but fantastic...Nice bokeh....
-- Any 50 Summicron is good: I favor the Rigid Summicron V2 for a more classic look, but you lose close focus, which is important for portraiture.

2. 75 mm
-- 75 Summilux asph: Costly, but one of the best reputations out there. Hard to nail focus, due to focal lengh, at max DOF, particularly close up. Great for emotive, glam style portraiture (more glowy, more character)
-- 75 Summicron: Fantastic clarity. Clinical and modern in its rendering. Great for modern studio-style portriature.
-- 75 Summarit or CV Heliar: f/2.5 so a bit slower, but great performers at relative bargains

3. 90 mm-- Summicron V2: Beautiful for BW portraits, with a nice fall off. Can be had for <$1000. Renders similarly to the 75 lux, which is much more expensive, but creates a beautiful image which is gentle and forgiving
-- Summicron APO: Clinical, sharp, great for short tele work as well. Great all around performer, but a bit harsh for portraits
-- 90 elmarit E46: Last of this line...great lens, undervalued for many years, but recent times have seen costs rise. Great overall performer, and more compact than the above options. It has more of a modern and clinical look
-- 90 mm f/4 Macro-Elmar: a bit slower, but the most compact of the bunch, and fantastic for travel....Clinical look.

Other lenses to consider-- Canon 85 mm f/1.8 LTM or 100 mm f/2 LTM: Adapted on M bodies, these are fantastic performers with beautifully smooth OOF. I am on the look out for one of these, as I have been borrowing the 100 f/2 and find it marvelous
-- Zeiss 85 mm f/2 C-Sonnar: Possibly the best M portrait lens, period. A bit of a 1 trick pony, as chromatic aberration limits its use in landscape and higher contrast settings
-- Zeiss 85 mm f/4 tele-tessar, CV 90 mm f/3.5: Both a bit more affordable and fantastic
-- Leitz Tele-elmarit 90's: Great, compact lenses. OOF wide open can be hit or miss, but these lenses shine when stopped down even a bit...
-- 135 tele-elmar: An oddball focal lengh on M cameras, but worth checking out for a more classic, affordable option...

Lloyd

I suppose it depends on your idea of a "portrait", I've seen some wonderful "Portraits" taken with the 35 'Cron or 'Lux, but if you're looking for something in the classic "portrait length", I'll second the recommendations of the 90 Elmarit. Pretty sharp, but not as clinical as the APO, and certainly not as much as the 75 Cron. I agree with Ashwin on the CV 75/2.5 Heliar, which is a steal of a lens, much underrated, and cheap. It's a wonderful "portrait" lens.