The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bad moire with M9

wstam

Hi,

I am a relatively new owner of a M9. I shared few months back that I rented one to play with and love the rangefinder style of photo taking. So subsequently bought a used M9. However I didn't spend much time with it till last month's family holiday trip in Australia. Took about few hundreds shots with it.

On some of the photos the moire can be quite disturbing. This one is particularly bad. See the man's shirt:

I know this can be treated in LR but it can be tedious. This one took me a while due to the metal grille on the door (untreated photo below). Had to do section by section.

I am wondering how do you guys manage this issue? Does it bother you?

Before M9, I was using Ricoh GXR for about 1 years. That cam is also without AA filter but I have never encountered any serious moire issue. I am surprise it can be quite bad on M9.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Double Negative

Not Available
You might try a different RAW/DNG converter. Rather than use ACR (LR and PS), try Capture One, Bibble Pro, Aperture, etc. Capture One has usually been a good choice for this.

Or, use a crappy (softer) lens. :p

Last edited:

baudolino

Don't use a cheaper (less sharp) lens - just be aware that some lenses are more prone to causing moire than others, on the M9. My cron 50 (the current one, not the new AA) was a total moire pig for me - I had moire in tree branches, in haystacks, fencing and all kind of other similar subjects. The moment I changed to the Lux 50 Asph this problem went away - even with the same kind of subjects that caused me problems previously with the cron. Now, maybe the cron is the higher resolving lens than the lux but the lux has (in my view) a higher image quality overall, owing to its higher contrast, better bokeh, flare resistance etc. - and it is definitely not a cheaper lens than the cron.

When I do get moire in my images, I use the local brush tool in LR4.3 to remove it - works quite well for me.

V

Vivek

Cheaper does not necessarily equate to not sharp and more expensive does not mean it is *very* sharp.

The cheapest solution is to eat a bag of chips and after that smear the grease on the fingers on a filter. You get a removable "Softar" quickly.

wstam

Thanks for the notes. The point on lenses is interesting, never thought of it as a factor for moire. I was using various ZM lenses for the trip. I do have the 50 lux but it was sent back to Solms for calibration during that period. Will see if it plays a part in this issue.

Thanks.

tele_player

I think I've seen it with all my lenses (elmarit, cron, lux), in various forms. It's not always classic moire patterns, and aberrations are also seen shooting foliage or rocks in the distance, not just fabrics.

It's definitely something I don't like about the M9.

-robert