The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An interesting article in the Guardian

V

Vivek

I think the headline is interesting:

Guardian photographer Sarah Lee on the camera that has reinvigorated her passion for photography, ..

Gary Clennan

I think many are in the same boat as her... That is - an incredible camera which provides a unique (and satisfying) shooting experience.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Obviously we're all very biased but I'm not surprised at all. There's something about shooting with the Leica that's hard to define but it certainly can be a very engaging experience. Some take to it, other's just don't get it.

The choice of the M-E is interesting too. When I think about how many times I ever actually really used the viewfinder mask selector, other than just to check it out, I can't see that it's loss would be any bother at all. As regards the USB connector - does anyone actually ever use it?

Maggie O

I'd be fine with an M-E, but I love the looks of the M9-P and got a deal on one, so that's where I landed. But an M-E would be just fine with me and it's got a sort of working U-Boat look that's grown on me.

ashwinrao1

Fun read...echoes the passion that Leica instilled in me after getting the SLR blahs/blues... now very happy with my M9-P (like Maggie) and MM....

D&A

The choice of the M-E is interesting too. When I think about how many times I ever actually really used the viewfinder mask selector, other than just to check it out, I can't see that it's loss would be any bother at all.
I may be in the minority and often hear what Graham expressed (above) more and more from others since the ME was released, but I often use the frame line selector to see how other lenses might frame a given image, especially if I have little time to change lenses and quickly want to pick the right one. It may not always be often, but it's often enough to make me think twice if I had to give it up.

I haven't read the article yet, but looking forward to reading it!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Reading about other people's new found enthusiasm is always invigorating . . . and makes one realise how lucky one is to have been able to accumulate M lenses over the years.

Personally, I'm with Maggie - rather have a deal on an M9p, but I think the ME does look nice.

V

Vivek

How many pictures that Guardian uses are from Sarah Lee (apart from the ones from the article)? M9/M9P/M-E all are the same with minor cosmetic variations. She could have "discovered" the passion several years ago. The sudden price drop has made the camera a bit more enticing.

I am just thinking aloud.

NB23

What's the big deal and why is there an article about this? It must be sponsored. If itisn't, then there's something very wrong, imo. Nobody brags publically about eating margarine and it would be pointless to do so... Unless paid to do so.
It's extremely obvious to me.

V

Vivek

I suspected that it might be because of the defense about the price tag (even though it is the lowest priced digital RF from Leica ever) at the end.

Who can put a price tag on the re-invigoration of the passion though?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What's the big deal and why is there an article about this? It must be sponsored. If itisn't, then there's something very wrong, imo. Nobody brags publically about eating margarine and it would be pointless to do so... Unless paid to do so.
I'm thinking that you must have been beaten as a child ... :ROTFL:

I'm gullible enough to believe that it's a puff piece from an embarrassingly happy photographer who has discovered DRF's. No hidden commercial agenda beyond maybe raising interest in her work through an interesting article in favor of something other than an a Canikon DSLR that everyone else uses.

:p

Regarding the frameline adjuster, I personally didn't use it much probably because after years of shooting 35mm I think that I can pretty much guesstimate which focal length I need (and have) and how it'll look. However, I do understand why it's there and it is part of the Leica experience too.

I'd take a chrome M9-P over the M-E too btw. :D

V

Vivek

The comments following the article are fascinating.

Quite a few of the respondents are in to music and preferred better (pricey) instruments. Some have suggested small, light weight and inexpensive mirrorless cameras. Sarah Lee says she used to have a M6 and lenses but regrets selling the lenses for peanuts to buy a Nikon D2 and also she is not reporter (but fills in only when the regulars are not available). She also says that she is a Nikon shooter. She also regrets saying that the digital RF, Leica M8 (based on the new prices and not the current used prices) was a "dentist" camera. She could only afford a 2 nd hand 50/1.4 Asph. No other lenses.

So, I think it is definitely not a Leica sponsored article.

D&A

Graham Wrote--->"Regarding the frameline adjuster, I personally didn't use it much probably because after years of shooting 35mm I think that I can pretty much guesstimate which focal length I need (and have) and how it'll look."<<<

Are you suggesting (based on what I posted above) after all my years of shooting (which easily match yours), that I still can't get the hang of guesstimating which focal length lens I need without resorting to the M9 frame selector lever ??? Well...um....maybe you're right! :cussing:

jonoslack

Of course, everything is possible, but the Guardian is definitely reputable, and Sarah Lee is on the staff - if she were taking money from Leica for an article she wrote . . .. .. and then the idea of the Guardian taking sponsorship money for a regular article. . . The idea is unthinkable. What a silly way to compromise a good reputation.

No - I think Vivek is right - good article for the Christmas period - interesting and the comments are telling as well.

I do agree that it isn't a big deal though.

all the best

dude163

Its nice to read an article where someone is excited and enthusiastic about something in this day and age, it seems to be in vogue to bash everything for being something that it wasnt intended to be.

I wish her the best in her M journey, I myself was very reluctant and resistant to getting a Leica because I thought they were for overpaid douchebags or rich people

Now Im kicking myself for not getting one sooner :(

the first Leica M I touched or even saw was the M8 I bought , talk about a leap of faith! I figured Id resell it if I didnt like it :)

Hosermage

I mirror most of her sentiments (including the caressing bit :)). The M9 is one that I've not felt the need to upgrade, and still pushes me to go out and shoot more even after the newness factor has worn out.

NB23

... Because adults and pros, as opposed to kids and amateurs, don't rely on magical thinking. Do you see Salgado praising Leica? No. Except in Leica's ads. And now in Canon's ads.

That article is clearly marketing. And the Guardian being what it is, Leica has been extremely smart on this. You guys surely know that Leica completely lost it 3 decades ago and almost went bankrupt 7 years ago. Probably not as most of the current Leica crowd were Nikon and Canon users mostly interested in "tack sharp" zooms and so called other "gems". Leica was giving 25% off their lenses. Discount sales on their website. The whole picture was pretty desperate. Go read the Leica forums on photo.net and look for posts from 2005 and earlier. The Noctilux was 2000$. PJs mocked the brand. Deserted it. Even today, Leica is desperately trying to get back into the pro PJ market. And sponsoring PJs is the only way to do it. Another hint is the recent partnership with Magnum.
It is obvious that most of the leica forums users are bored and need a refreshing new tool, which is fine. But judging by the pictures, many would benefit from a dslr.

You know... If I was an editor I wouldn't let this blatantly obvious sales pitch get printed unless there was a deal made. Yes, Leica is trying to regain the PJ market and this is a way of doing it.

NB23

Of course, everything is possible, but the Guardian is definitely reputable, and Sarah Lee is on the staff - if she were taking money from Leica for an article she wrote . . .. .. and then the idea of the Guardian taking sponsorship money for a regular article. . . The idea is unthinkable. What a silly way to compromise a good reputation.
You mean The Guardian, the extremely effective Brain-washing machine, having its reputation compromised?
No, never.