The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An interesting article in the Guardian

Paratom

Here is my thought: I dont think a good journalist would write positive things about a camera even if he/she got it for free.
Thats why I dont care much how much she paid for the camera.
On the other side I dont believe this "a camera changed my relation to photography thing" anyways.
So if we just enjoy reading these articles without taking them too serious the question if it was marketing or "true" report is not that important any more....just IMO.

Maggie O

I agree ... it's a good and interesting article. She enjoys the camera, even though it busted her bank account. Accusing her of a hidden marketing agenda is patently unfair.
I concur, especially since it's a feature piece that runs in their online-only blog. I might accuse her editor of making filler, but raving about a piece of kit, hell, we used to do it at the paper all the time, so I hardly think it was a piece of paid advertising.

V

Vivek

Here is my thought: I dont think a good journalist would write positive things about a camera even if he/she got it for free.
Thats why I dont care much how much she paid for the camera.
On the other side I dont believe this "a camera changed my relation to photography thing" anyways.
So if we just enjoy reading these articles without taking them too serious the question if it was marketing or "true" report is not that important any more....just IMO.
You just confused the hell out of me, Tom.

i have been thinking of dumping all my crappy lenses and buying the AA 50/2 with the hope that it will change my photography. The plan is that if it does not work, then I will know for sure it is me and not the lens.

Paratom

i have been thinking of dumping all my crappy lenses and buying the AA 50/2 with the hope that it will change my photography. The plan is that if it does not work, then I will know for sure it is me and not the lens.
At least you now seem to know that the M9 is the one and only best camera ;)

V

Vivek

Even more confusing, Tom. I am not good with maths but an ME with 2 year warranty seems much better than an used M9 with no warranty. Although, I would think a Titanium version betters them all. I wonder if the AA 50/2 will come in Titanium as well. Weight/balance has to be perfect you know. Nothing should be left to chance and speculation.

Paratom

Even more confusing, Tom. I am not good with maths but an ME with 2 year warranty seems much better than an used M9 with no warranty. Although, I would think a Titanium version betters them all. I wonder if the AA 50/2 will come in Titanium as well. Weight/balance has to be perfect you know. Nothing should be left to chance and speculation.
I will wait for the Hermes edition of the AA 50/2.

Let's see, Sarah Lee, a name more synonymous with cheap frozen cakes in the UK, Putting Gaffer Tape over your red-dot, a dig in the ribs for making Leica's cheaper and more accessible. Doesn't seem like very good advertising. I don't think she'd lie about buying her own Leica, a 2nd hand lens, doesn't seem like she was gifted one.

I'll take it as an honest peice on face value, it's a nice article. I hope it encourages more people to explore the beauty of photography.

Today more than ever, many photographers need to set themselves apart, to get out of the rut of assigned work and push the boundaries of the art, that was my takeaway from the article and it's generated more interest in Sarah than Leica for me at least. Take a look at her website.

jonoslack

Today more than ever, many photographers need to set themselves apart, to get out of the rut of assigned work and push the boundaries of the art, that was my takeaway from the article and it's generated more interest in Sarah than Leica for me at least. Take a look at her website.
Thank you for the link
Fantastic work.

V

Vivek

I will wait for the Hermes edition of the AA 50/2.
That could be a long wait but I am sure it will be worth it. Thanks for the recommendation. I will put in a word at the boutique shop when I pick up my monochrome.

jonoslack

Me too - unusually!
Well Vivek - do you think that selling all your other lenses will generate enough cash? (I don't think it would for me!). On the other hand, knowing how many lenses you have, it might allow you to move into a smaller house as well (generating another small percentage of the cost of the AA 50 'cron).

How do you think it'd go on the NEX 6? (by the way - Silas had one for Christmas - it seems to be very good).

V

Vivek

The AA 50/2 is way over rated, price wise. :D

On the other hand, knowing how many lenses you have, it might allow you to move into a smaller house as well (generating another small percentage of the cost of the AA 50 'cron).
When do you visit Netherlands next? ;)

I just wanted to chime in and say it was a nice article... Made me smile and remember getting my used M8 and the thrill it gave me! My D700 was left to gather dust until several months later when it found a new owner and home!

I have an M9 now and am still thrilled to shoot with a Leica and digital rangefinder! Aside from an extreme desire to shoot with the M Monochrom, I am very, very satisfied with my Leica and glad I made the investment!

Cheers!

PeterA

A nice read early in the New Year - thanks for posting J.

Greetings from Down Under.

turtle

This thread has been hilarious, because nobody really knows the story, but some are utterly convinced they do.... if we use facts as the basis for knowing, that is.

Whether marketing or personal blog, the content and message has been repeated a thousandfold by many amateur and professionals around the world for far longer than digital Leicas. There is nothing new here. If it is a Marketing piece all it does is reflect a very common response to shooting Leica Ms. If Sarah Lee wrote it, she is in good company. So, er, where is the problem?

NB23

This thread has been hilarious, because nobody really knows the story, but some are utterly convinced they do.... if we use facts as the basis for knowing, that is.

Whether marketing or personal blog, the content and message has been repeated a thousandfold by many amateur and professionals around the world for far longer than digital Leicas. There is nothing new here. If it is a Marketing piece all it does is reflect a very common response to shooting Leica Ms. If Sarah Lee wrote it, she is in good company. So, er, where is the problem?
You don't need to know the "real story" or the "facts" to denote a clear marketing shill in that very unprofessional piece/amateurish blog. Praising gear comes across as very amateurish if done that way.

Have you heard or read somewhere that Lionel Messi wouldn't have broken his record if it wasn't for his magical Adidas shoes? Would sound bad, don't you agree?

Chris C

It's also hilarious because forums are brim full of extremely average photography [made with arsenals of latest gear and fastest lenses] being praised to the rafters, and here is a hardworking pro making rock-solid, high class, interesting photographs who had to scrape together funds for an ME and one S/H lens.

Good for her say I, and I can't understand why everyone here isn't shouting praise and support for her.

Oh wait; yes I can ............, now that I remember why some want to give talent a good kicking.

................ Chris

NB23

and here is a hardworking pro making rock-solid, high class, interesting photographs who had to scrape together funds for an ME and one S/H lens.
That's the shilling part that rubs me the wrong way. You maybe see a naive poor photographer needing to "scrape" her last pennies to buy gear she "needs" to become better.
But I read something else. I see someone trying to convince other people that it's good to "scrape" their last pennies to buy a Leica. If that's not marketing, what is it?

Besides, what kind of Pro is she if she can barely afford gear? I mean, a Leica ME + Lens is about as expensive as a Pro Nikon Kit. Let's get real for a moment, please.

Good for her say I, and I can't understand why everyone here isn't shouting praise and support for her.
What support do you want people to give her? She is a press photographer as few million others around the globe. What's so grest about it?

Oh wait; yes I can ............, now that I remember why some want to give talent a good kicking.
If you're refering to me, again, I think you are way off topic. I never mentioned her talent.

Critical thinking, it seems, is an exotic art.

Chris C

Besides, what kind of Pro is she if she can barely afford gear? I mean, a Leica ME + Lens is about as expensive as a Pro Nikon Kit. Let's get real for a moment, please.

If you're refering to me, again, I think you are way off topic. I never mentioned her talent..
I wasn't referring to you; I'm a very slow typer and thought I was following Mr. Turtle's 'hilarious' thread above yours - I should have edited my slow post to make that clear.

I don't know about where you live, but where I am in the UK Photography isn't really a profession, in fact it's at best barely a trade. I know, and know of, far too many photographers who've found it financially unsustainable. These include photographers with extraordinary client histories and rare photographic and technical talents who've formerly run large, busy, advertising studios, and photojournalists who've formerly shot assignments around the globe.

For a 'Professional' photographer to commit to an ME and second hand Leica lens may well be a huge financial decision for them. I have never known, in the digital age, 'Pros' with the quality of equipment that so many regular, non 'Pro', contributors to forums have. In the digital age, I personally know no 'Pro' who uses digital-Ms, and I have been well placed to know a lot of photographers. Forums often recycle the notion that 'success' in Professional Photography is well rewarded; that was true 20 years ago but in my experience is now uncommonly the case. Often, and certainly for all the Pros' I've known, 'getting real' as you put it has meant working within the limitations of the older, well worn gear they have and not with the latest and best.

So :
... what kind of Pro is she if she can barely afford gear?....
In terms of 'Professional' financial reward I wouldn't be surprised if she were just 'getting by'. In terms of the quality of her work I'd say she's a bloody good Pro. In 'Pro' photography now one can be good, and broke.

.............. Chris

V

Vivek

It's also hilarious because forums are brim full of extremely average photography [made with arsenals of latest gear and fastest lenses] being praised to the rafters, and here is a hardworking pro making rock-solid, high class, interesting photographs who had to scrape together funds for an ME and one S/H lens.

................ Chris
Since you are here in this forum, unless you mean what you see displayed as what you characterize as "average" photography, there is no need to put them down in order to elevate some unknown (to this forum that is) as hyper talented.

Let me be specific in saying that none of the images shown in the blog article, i find worthy of any of the adolatory adjectives you use.