The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 90mm for travel?

Godfrey

Another look at the size of the M-Rokkor 90:

Helps to make it image directly in the thread... ;-)

G

Last edited:

monza

so the Tele Elmarit-M is different than the Tele-Elmarit... pfffft! more homework time.
Yep, one is skinny, one is fat. :)

The Tele-Elmarit-M is the same size as a 90/4 Elmar-C or the Rokkor, and about 10% lighter. And a stop faster.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
thank you, Godfrey, those look great, especially for the price :D

Roger, thank you, but you're carrying more in your daylight kit than i want to take for the whole trip (day/night, indoor/outdoor, L.A./Maui and destinations unknown).

the current Elmarit, whilst beloved by many, does not seem to be all that much smaller or lighter (am i mistaken in this?) that the APO Summicron, and it seems to be going for more than i was hoping to spend. it also seems a bit redundant in my kit since i do have the Cron.

i will likely take one of my tiny 35mm pre-asphs and then weigh up the pros and cons of my 50's (E59 Nocti or BP 50 pre-asph Lux). the 90 will round it out. (and, if i go crazy for my old 21/3.4 SA, i might toss that in too as it's tiny and i'll eat my words by making it a 4 lens kit).
CAM

The 90 elmarit-M is much smaller and lighter than the 90 sum micron asph . It similar to the 50 1.4asph just a little longer . It will fit in the pocket of my shirt . Its a 46mm lens so think of the diameter as being a little wider than the 46mm filter .

There was a 90/2.8 tele elmarit that was smaller (39mm) and about half the cost of the elmarit-M . You can read about it on one of Puts reports . Its IQ is lower but like any Leica glass ..if you can stop down ..it will get the job done . I have given this lens some thought for the same reasons you mention . I would like to have a 90 with me even if its only used a small number of times .

If I am using a small bag I don t find any difference between 3 or 4 lens . But on the street I frequently work with 3 lenses . I shoot with 2 bodies always and this allows me to have 2 lenses ready ..so with one body I would agree that 3 lenses is probably all I would use at one time.

cam

This is a great summary of the options . I like the tele elmarit 90/2.8 based on your requirements . Less money ,much smaller and lighter . The key is you have to have it with you ...so size and weight matter .
thank you, Roger. for all. and apologies if i sounded rude -- i am just so overwhelmed with all the choices (who knew?) :eek:

i typically go out with one lens. period. i prefer to work with what i have, rather than dither over options... the only exception is if i *know* i will be out after dark, i usually take (lug) the Noctilux.

as my other half has been jonesing to shoot my M9, he's agreed to carry it with one lens on it (can i give him the Nocti :D) so it means i can, perhaps, be a bit more extravagant than usual (which has been only 2 lenses) for travel.

back to the 90's, though... the prices seem to have gone through the roof, again! the Elmarit-M is definitely out of my price range and even the later Tele-Elmarit, it seems. sigh. (i don't usually scrimp on glass, but i bought the MM and am flat broke.)

so, i think, it will be the luck of the draw... and, hopefully, i will find my cinderella travel slipper :p

would love your more pics from people that show their lenses off (talking about images taken with the glass rather than how it looks on).

ta!

V

Vivek

As I already said, I can't say how the 90/4 Elmar renders on a M9 or the MM. I hope it will do well on the MM.

Here is one using the 90/4 (3 element- on a NEX-6) on a very overcast day.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
thank you, Roger. for all. and apologies if i sounded rude -- i am just so overwhelmed with all the choices (who knew?) :eek:

i typically go out with one lens. period. i prefer to work with what i have, rather than dither over options... the only exception is if i *know* i will be out after dark, i usually take (lug) the Noctilux.

as my other half has been jonesing to shoot my M9, he's agreed to carry it with one lens on it (can i give him the Nocti :D) so it means i can, perhaps, be a bit more extravagant than usual (which has been only 2 lenses) for travel.

back to the 90's, though... the prices seem to have gone through the roof, again! the Elmarit-M is definitely out of my price range and even the later Tele-Elmarit, it seems. sigh. (i don't usually scrimp on glass, but i bought the MM and am flat broke.)

so, i think, it will be the luck of the draw... and, hopefully, i will find my cinderella travel slipper :p

would love your more pics from people that show their lenses off (talking about images taken with the glass rather than how it looks on).

ta!
Quick check of prices . Try Camera West ,Igor Cameras and KEH..plus eBay completed listings and you will understand the market prices . I hate to buy used M lens that show wear . Consider the downtime if you got a lens that needed work. The FAT tele elmarits are popular because of the beautiful classic mounts ...but the tests all show the newer tele elmarit is a better performer and its smaller and lighter . Best of luck ..heck with a trip like you have planned how can you miss. :D

cam

Quick check of prices . Try Camera West ,Igor Cameras and KEH..plus eBay completed listings and you will understand the market prices . I hate to buy used M lens that show wear . Consider the downtime if you got a lens that needed work. The FAT tele elmarits are popular because of the beautiful classic mounts ...but the tests all show the newer tele elmarit is a better performer and its smaller and lighter . Best of luck ..heck with a trip like you have planned how can you miss. :D
i'm actually okay with buying lenses with signs of wear (most of mine are pre-loved), but i know with a 90mm you really need to try it out and be able to get focus on your camera.

i actually fell in love with a pristine FAT Tele-Emarit at a show outside Paris a few years back. it focused perfectly on my camera (i think the R-D1 at the time?) and felt beautiful in my hands. when i heard the price, though, i put it down. i wanted to use it, not fondle it or put it in a cupboard.

i've gone back and looked at images i shot with the 90mm in Maui before (yes, it always sucks to go visit my father :D) and think i know what i'm looking for in a lens. i think the Macro-Elmar would be perfect, sigh, even without the macro capabilities. (too bad the old collapsible doesn't work with digital bodies.)

again, this has been a real informative thread for me, so thank you all!

keep sharing images. it will really help when i go look at lenses at the show. it's also helped me realise that i don't need to jump into a purchase if i don't find good glass immediately.

i can always go with the classic 28-50-90 and lug my Cron this time since it still needs to be calibrated by the mothership and see if i really love the 90 FOV...

D&A

Cam wrote--->>>"i think the Macro-Elmar would be perfect, sigh, even without the macro capabilities."<<<

That's why I initially recommended it (above), prior to learning that there were budgetary considerations (something that I'm always up against too). Even when kept in it's extended shooting configuration, it ticks off virtually all the right boxes for travel and optical performance.

So many other good recommendations in this thread for 90's and I've also heard good thinkgs about the Zeiss 90mm f4 as expressed by others here, but haven't shot with it.

***There is a nice 90mm f4 collapsable that was just listed on RRF for $400 but not sure if this lens is one of those that shouldn't be collapsed when mounted on a M8/M9? I also have no experience with this particular model 90 and how it performs.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

cam

thank you, Dave! i try not to scrimp on my optics but have to this time, especially as i need to pick up an MBA as well to lighten my travel lode... i will blame you, however, if i become obsessed with that one :D

the collapsable for sale is the one Monza showed above. just gorgeous! unfortunately, i've read that there is an issue and that you can't collapse it into a digital M body. you can use it open but, if you collapse it in a moment of brain fog (something i'd likely do), i think you can really mess up the inner workings.

monza

Rockwell says he's collapsed it into his M9, for what that is worth. :) I don't have an M9 here to try with the lens as shown on my M6.

D&A

thank you, Dave! i try not to scrimp on my optics but have to this time, especially as i need to pick up an MBA as well to lighten my travel lode... i will blame you, however, if i become obsessed with that one :D

the collapsable for sale is the one Monza showed above. just gorgeous! unfortunately, i've read that there is an issue and that you can't collapse it into a digital M body. you can use it open but, if you collapse it in a moment of brain fog (something i'd likely do), i think you can really mess up the inner workings.
You're most welcome and fully understand your reasoning (and logic :)). Funny, when you wrote as one of your reasons you may need to scrimpt a little on optics this time is due to your need to pick up an MBA...first thing I thought of is hmmm, picking up a "MBA" (Masters Degree in Business Administration) should eventually provide more funds for lenses, not less! Talk about brain fog (on my part). Illustrates that I'm also a PC centric guy not Mac!

I also heard what Monza mentioned, that if done carefully, the 90 f4 (the one on RRF) can safely be collapsed in a M9, but unless this can be demonstrated with absolute certainty, I'd too would be cautious. Just from the look of it's extended barral, compared to the 90 f4 macro, it most definitely looks substationally longer.

*** I didn't mention the Emarit-M 90mm f2.8 (the last version with built in sliding hood)...as so many others in this thread and elsewhere have sung it's praises...all richly deserved. A lens that a bit gentler than the AA for portrait work when shot wide open but virtually as stunning as the AA stopped down.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

monza

Yes, I wouldn't trust a full collapse. There are ways to collar the barrel to prevent this, but it's probably best to just pick up a 90/4 Elmar-C or Rokkor in that case.

algrove

Based on your opening question-get either: 1.) the 2.8 Elmarit-M or 2.) the 2.8 Tele-Elmarit. I own 2 copies of each and love them. Also had Leica 6 bit code them all. #2 is the lightest. Suggest if you get this one get a lens hood like the one that comes with the current 90/4 which I also own and love.