The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M240 sample images

Hosermage

I'm sure most of you have seen the recent M240 images from Dr. Rohde and wished for more... He just shared another gallery on DPR, so I thought I link it here: With Leica winning is easy, M240/S2

Much better samples, and according to him, ISO was on auto between 320 and 800.

BTW, the images starting with "L" is the M240, "ULR" is S2.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am totally lost by the intent of these images ? First how did Dr Rohde get a M240 and can he really be posting M240 images with the approval of Leica ?

ashwinrao1

Yeah, the whole thing seems a bit odd. Usually, Leica has individuals testing gear with some discretion. I'd suspect that they'd want first published pics from the camera to be of a certain impact, a la the shots taken from the M9 in Cuba (by the way, looking back at those makes me want to snag the M9 all over again ;) ).....

I do know that there's a lot of questions out there about why these images exist and are being published, likely with unfinished firmware and JPEG output. Ultimately, I'd need full sized images, preferably RAW files, to pass judgment....not sure why Leica has not released these images yet...

250swb

Wouldn't it have been great if Leica had given an M240 to a good photographer, where merit wins over influence. I'm sure Dr. Rohde has his moments, but as a marketing tool the photographs he makes are somewhat less than aspirational.

Steve

Hosermage

That's just it, I think he's an enthusiast and got an prototype through personal connections, and that may be why he's not aware of the usual rules about releasing the images. I seriously doubt that he's in any part of Leica's marketing plans.

D&A

Ultimately, I'd need full sized images, preferably RAW files, to pass judgment....not sure why Leica has not released these images yet...
That's exactly my feelings too....that generally only by examining full rez RAW files can one accurately assess the image qualities of a digital camera. Unfortunately when web sized images are posted, especially at approx 800x600, it's extremely hard to determine what camera they were taken with. It's possible to get glimpses of certain attributes but not a lot more.

The initial M9 images taken from Cuba were of high standards that at least gave some indication of quality of the files the M9 was capable of.

I suspect in time, files from the new "M" will be released and I have fairly strong confidence that the majority of it's files will meet most expectations, maybe even surprise some. Maybe the intent at the moment is to keep expectations a bit low so when images are finially released, its a welcome surprise. Hard to say though at this juncture.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

monza

That's just it, I think he's an enthusiast and got an prototype through personal connections, and that may be why he's not aware of the usual rules
This really isn't doing anyone any good, especially Leica. I would be surprised if Leica did not make it clear to him...perhaps they should...

wstam

I believe he was doing splash proof testing this time round... and took some photos along the way... :p

StephenPatterson

Having an amateur photographer post low res jpegs in random settings creates lots of variables, which is probably what Leica wants at this point. Hard to blame the camera when the photos themselves are lacking in every respect.

I cannot believe it's been four months and we still don't have a single decent image, let alone a full size DNG file, on which to evaluate the M240. If the firmware truly is only days or a few weeks away from final release it seems there must be some decent images somewhere in Leicaland. Can we please see something Leica???

monza

I would doubt that firmware is that close, based on the current status of...nothing...

Jono should know. :)

philipus

Seeing this, and knowing these are internet images, I'm happy I'm remaining film-only. These snaps could have been taken with a C-Lux imho.

That being said, a proper test and evaluation will be interesting to see.

V

Vivek

As I said, it is just the initial impression based on a fleeting glance

One is better off with a Sony NEX or a Canon 5D, again, based on the "initial impression".

I am not equipped to comment on the "CCD look". I have no idea what that is. :eek:

( Again, this is personal opinion coming from someone who thinks that the MM is the best digital RF that Leica have produced to date!)

Zlatko Batistich

As mentioned in the story, the images were "confirmed" as M (and not M9) in a post by Leica on FB.
How were they "confirmed" as made with the new M (not M9)? The Facebook post merely says the photographer is on a journey with the new M. It doesn't confirm that all of the photos were made with the new M. It doesn't state that the new M is the only camera he is using. The EXIF for the newest photos (Kyrgyzstan) indicates that 9 of the photos were made with the M9 and 11 were made with the new M. I am inclined to believe that the EXIF is correct.

Unless people are checking the EXIF for each photo, they may in fact be complaining about some M9 photos when they complain about the Canon "look".