The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M240 sample images

StephenPatterson

Well at least the good doctor is learning how to focus. I don't care for the M9 vs. M comparison crops at 100% because you can see from the shadows in the M240 image that the light is not the same, adding contrast and color.

From the article "Guess it’s safe to say, resolution-wise the Ms DNG files beat out the predecessor easily."

Did anyone expect the resolution of the 24mp M240 to be worse than the 18mp M9?

EDIT: I just downloaded the full res DNG file from inside the bar, and it seems my early statement that "the doctor is learning how to focus" should have had an emphasis on learning. Still, this and the plant show that the files are pretty clean at ISO320 and seem to have good dynamic range.

Last edited:

Peter Klein

If he is the Dr. Ulrich Rhode I know about, he is an expert in RF (radio frequency) signal processing and high-performance receiver design, and is a partner in a company that designs such equipment. He's also active in the amateur radio community, so his engineering experience encompasses less-than-optimum conditions as well as optimum. This does not say anything about his photographic abilities, and cameras deal with initial frequencies several exponents higher than his primary area of expertise. But it does tell us that he knows more than a little about good engineering, and eqiupment that performs well. And some of the principles of extracting intelligence out of weak-signal RF would surely apply to extracting the best out of a camera sensor. So while he's not necessarily an expert in photography or digital camera design, he's definitely an expert in a sister field where some analogies might apply.

StephenPatterson

Just because someone is an aerospace engineer doesn't mean they are qualified to be a test pilot. While I am sure Dr. Rohde could contribute his engineering knowledge during the design phase his inability to record clean and accurate sample images has done little to demonstrate the limitations or abilities of this new camera.

edwardkaraa

I downloaded the raw files and will play with them for a short while in ACR but they look promising in terms of IQ.

StephenPatterson

The dynamic range definitely seems to be improved and these colors are better than anything we have seen before. I had expected to see more detail in the 100% crops and there is also moire showing up in the balcony railings on the shot of the building. I need to be working on a larger monitor and not my laptop.

edwardkaraa

The dynamic range definitely seems to be improved and these colors are better than anything we have seen before. I had expected to see more detail in the 100% crops and there is also moire showing up in the balcony railings on the shot of the building. I need to be working on a larger monitor and not my laptop.
Indeed, the color is what impressed me most. The files will be very easy to work with, requiring minimal PP. I agree that the detail is not as good as expected, but it may be due to the photographer technique or camera shake.

StephenPatterson

I am more encouraged about the M240's IQ after seeing these samples, however I still want to see many more images with a range of lenses and a wide range of lighting/ISO conditions. But all in all not a bad day for the M240.

StephenPatterson

OK, let's cut to the chase...

Why is the doctor posting these images and comments while serious photographers like Jono Slack are still apparently bound by NDA's and not showing images or even giving opinions.

I've just seen a lovely photo of Jono and his family on their ski vacation, and there is this black M camera on the table with a silver jog wheel on the back. Not exactly M9 stuff.

Come on Leica, let us here from Jono and others like him. Those are the opinions, reviews and images I'm waiting for!!!

EDIT: I've just been reviewing Jono's latest images from his ski vacation on facebook (I hope I don't get "unfriended" for this), and even thought the EXIF data is stripped out it's a fair guess that what I've just seen are the best M240 images yet. Amazing dynamic range.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, why I really appreciate all the hard work going into testing and early (or later) samples, I really could not care less!

For me this new M is the Leica I will go for, I have not the slightest doubt about the IQ which may even improve when longer on the market, as well as other great (for my use) features. So why bother with samples?

I fully trust Leica to do their job right!

Just happy sample comparisons for those who care

Peter

D&A

From this small selction of M240 images, I get a fairly positive impression. Can't of course say anything definitive at this stage, but the things that stand out from these images in comparison to the M9, is a more neutral palette of colors, especially in the reds, expanded dynamic range, and an increase in the level of detail due to the higher resolution sensor. As others observed, the moire exhibited in the fences in that image with buildings was particulary nasty, but fortunately easily dealt with in LR.

When the right time is appropriate, I too would love to see Jono's officially sanctioned work with the M240...both B&W and color.

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

EDIT: I've just been reviewing Jono's latest images from his ski vacation on facebook (I hope I don't get "unfriended" for this), and even thought the EXIF data is stripped out it's a fair guess that what I've just seen are the best M240 images yet. Amazing dynamic range.
Thanks for the kind words Stephen, my holiday snaps on facebook are just that (and are only visible to my friends) - and they're taken variously with my OMD, X2 and M9, of course not with the M240.

all the very best