The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M240 sample images

Hosermage

Hehe.. i guess.

Basically, there was a personal email from Stenfan to the forum member stating that the images from Dr. Rhodes was not approved, and we should be seeing Leica sanctioned images release shortly.

jstaben

Looks like they took it down. here's what it said:

"Apologies for starting another thread on this subject but rather than it getting lost in the existing threads, I thought it's important people see this.
I've been in touch with Stefan Daniel; I told him I thought the existing sample images are poor, are damaging to Leica and I suggested a new approach. I'm pleased to say I've had this helpful reply from him:

Dear Mr. Norton,
Thanks for your message. I agree completely with you. Mr. Rohde acted against our “gentlemen agreement” not to post pictures. However, we will start posting convincing and relevant files of the new M still this week. We are all convinced that the new camera will meet or exceed the expectations of our dear M customers!
Thanks again for your heads up.
Kind regards
Stefan Daniel"

Godfrey

I'm surprised that Leica enthusiasts are so impatient as to demand samples before the camera was ready. Anyone just glancing at these samples could tell immediately that they were not Leica quality. Leica has never published a photo from even their least expensive camera that wasn't at least brilliantly executed. Crappy photos from a brilliant scientist are still just that: crappy photos, and not good data from which to evaluate the camera.

I look forward to seeing what the new M will do, when it's ready to be shown. I'm sure it will be delightful.

G

MirekE

I'm surprised that Leica enthusiasts are so impatient as to demand samples before the camera was ready. Anyone just glancing at these samples could tell immediately that they were not Leica quality. Leica has never published a photo from even their least expensive camera that wasn't at least brilliantly executed. Crappy photos from a brilliant scientist are still just that: crappy photos, and not good data from which to evaluate the camera.

I look forward to seeing what the new M will do, when it's ready to be shown. I'm sure it will be delightful.

G
To be completely honest, the raws from Mr. Rohde were more helpful to me than official pictures published in the new M brochure.

The impatience probably has to do with the fact that some of the orders might start shipping in a month and there are only few official pictures...

iiiNelson

G
I think the impatience goes hand in hand with fervent anticipation. We didn't really get anything at Photokina and like others said the release is right around the corner. For some the M is just barely affordable so people would like to know what they're getting or if they should even wait to get it (and spend the money on say an M9/M-E that's a proven winner within it's constraints) ASAP.

Godfrey

The new M was announced at Photokina for sometime this quarter and next. The marketing push and samples for a new camera usually begins within a month of its release. Before that is simply too early ... the camera's not ready yet, it's not in production yet. It's not like Leica is a volume manufacturer aka the Nikons and Canons of the world, where they're going to have 10,000 stock in the distribution channel before the camera goes live on shelves.

If it turned out that I was looking for an M and the new M disappointed, and I knew the M9 was on the mark for me, I'm certain that there would be plenty of M9s and M-Es to go around, from all those upgraders used and a few new and demo units as well in the distribution chain.

I just don't understand the rush and impatience when it comes to limited production, highest end cameras. I generally prefer to buy such equipment when it's been in the field for a year and more so that I know all the ins and outs, what to look out for, and what to expect of it. I bought my M9 new in January 2012 ... quite happy with it. I'll probably buy the new M in 2014 or 2015.

G

iiiNelson

I bought my first M9 about a year after production but that's more because that's when I finally came to the conclusion that it was the camera I wanted all of the mirrorless cameras I had to be like (for a much lower price) so I just ponied up and bought the real thing. Like you said though it's good to wait for a mature product, however anticipation and excitement is very personal. That is something that doesn't necessarily requirement understanding. Compulsive behavior is usually on the polar opposite side of understanding. It's like the kid on Christmas that wants to stay up. It won't change the toys he/she is receiving or the hour they will open gifts - you anticipate nonetheless though.