Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More M240 sample images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More M240 sample images

I'm sure most of you have seen the recent M240 images from Dr. Rohde and wished for more... He just shared another gallery on DPR, so I thought I link it here: With Leica winning is easy, M240/S2

Much better samples, and according to him, ISO was on auto between 320 and 800.

BTW, the images starting with "L" is the M240, "ULR" is S2.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More M240 sample images

I am totally lost by the intent of these images ? First how did Dr Rohde get a M240 and can he really be posting M240 images with the approval of Leica ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the whole thing seems a bit odd. Usually, Leica has individuals testing gear with some discretion. I'd suspect that they'd want first published pics from the camera to be of a certain impact, a la the shots taken from the M9 in Cuba (by the way, looking back at those makes me want to snag the M9 all over again ).....

I do know that there's a lot of questions out there about why these images exist and are being published, likely with unfinished firmware and JPEG output. Ultimately, I'd need full sized images, preferably RAW files, to pass judgment....not sure why Leica has not released these images yet...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it have been great if Leica had given an M240 to a good photographer, where merit wins over influence. I'm sure Dr. Rohde has his moments, but as a marketing tool the photographs he makes are somewhat less than aspirational.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's just it, I think he's an enthusiast and got an prototype through personal connections, and that may be why he's not aware of the usual rules about releasing the images. I seriously doubt that he's in any part of Leica's marketing plans.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Ultimately, I'd need full sized images, preferably RAW files, to pass judgment....not sure why Leica has not released these images yet...
    That's exactly my feelings too....that generally only by examining full rez RAW files can one accurately assess the image qualities of a digital camera. Unfortunately when web sized images are posted, especially at approx 800x600, it's extremely hard to determine what camera they were taken with. It's possible to get glimpses of certain attributes but not a lot more.

The initial M9 images taken from Cuba were of high standards that at least gave some indication of quality of the files the M9 was capable of.

I suspect in time, files from the new "M" will be released and I have fairly strong confidence that the majority of it's files will meet most expectations, maybe even surprise some. Maybe the intent at the moment is to keep expectations a bit low so when images are finially released, its a welcome surprise. Hard to say though at this juncture.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 11th January 2013 at 07:55.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It just reiterates the old adage that it is not the camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    That's just it, I think he's an enthusiast and got an prototype through personal connections, and that may be why he's not aware of the usual rules
    This really isn't doing anyone any good, especially Leica. I would be surprised if Leica did not make it clear to him...perhaps they should...

Post Thanks / Like

I believe he was doing splash proof testing this time round... and took some photos along the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Having an amateur photographer post low res jpegs in random settings creates lots of variables, which is probably what Leica wants at this point. Hard to blame the camera when the photos themselves are lacking in every respect.

I cannot believe it's been four months and we still don't have a single decent image, let alone a full size DNG file, on which to evaluate the M240. If the firmware truly is only days or a few weeks away from final release it seems there must be some decent images somewhere in Leicaland. Can we please see something Leica???

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I would doubt that firmware is that close, based on the current status of...nothing...

Jono should know.

Post Thanks / Like

We’re currently putting the “final touches” to the image settings. I assume that it’s gonna be ready by the end of January / beginning February!
    The Leica M Wait Is Over Soon: First Sample Images Available Late Jan / Early Feb | THEME
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing this, and knowing these are internet images, I'm happy I'm remaining film-only. These snaps could have been taken with a C-Lux imho.

That being said, a proper test and evaluation will be interesting to see.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we finally got better sample images on the Leica blog.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My initial impression after taking a glance at the images here:

BACK TO KYRGYZSTAN: A Photographic Journey With Jean Gaumy « The Leica Camera

Leica ME and M9/P are going to be better appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

if you look at the EXIF they are all = M9
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    My initial impression after taking a glance at the images here:

BACK TO KYRGYZSTAN: A Photographic Journey With Jean Gaumy « The Leica Camera

Leica ME and M9/P are going to be better appreciated!
    Is it just a CMOS versus CCD difference or do you think there is a problem with the M 240 image quality?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I said, it is just the initial impression based on a fleeting glance

One is better off with a Sony NEX or a Canon 5D, again, based on the "initial impression".

I am not equipped to comment on the "CCD look". I have no idea what that is.

( Again, this is personal opinion coming from someone who thinks that the MM is the best digital RF that Leica have produced to date!)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erick.boileau View Post
    if you look at the EXIF they are all = M9
    As mentioned in the story, the images were "confirmed" as M (and not M9) in a post by Leica on FB.
    Last edited by Double Negative; 22nd January 2013 at 13:33. Reason: Added link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    As mentioned in the story, the images were "confirmed" as M (and not M9) in a post by Leica on FB.
    How were they "confirmed" as made with the new M (not M9)? The Facebook post merely says the photographer is on a journey with the new M. It doesn't confirm that all of the photos were made with the new M. It doesn't state that the new M is the only camera he is using. The EXIF for the newest photos (Kyrgyzstan) indicates that 9 of the photos were made with the M9 and 11 were made with the new M. I am inclined to believe that the EXIF is correct.

Unless people are checking the EXIF for each photo, they may in fact be complaining about some M9 photos when they complain about the Canon "look".

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatko Batistich View Post
    How were they "confirmed" as made with the new M (not M9)? The Facebook post merely says the photographer is on a journey with the new M. It doesn't confirm that all of the photos were made with the new M. It doesn't state that the new M is the only camera he is using. The EXIF for the newest photos (Kyrgyzstan) indicates that 9 of the photos were made with the M9 and 11 were made with the new M. I am inclined to believe that the EXIF is correct.

Unless people are checking the EXIF for each photo, they may in fact be complaining about some M9 photos when they complain about the Canon "look".
    Hmm, good point there.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I posted this thought elsewhere.....but has anyone considered that all images might be taken by the new M (M240) but with two individual M240 cameras with different firmware revisions in order to compare. If this is the case, one might read M9 in the exif data while the other reads M240 and thats why images from each camera look different. Every time they make a firmware revision early on, there must be some testing in comparing the two. Just a thought.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 22nd January 2013 at 21:13.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm reserving judgement for when a few regulars get them in their hand but in a word I'd describe the M(Type 240) as "STERILE."
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Based on these latest samples I think Dr. Rohde should apply to Magnum...

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the shots that have surfaced so far is they are all shot in midday sun or overcast which will always give you a flat image. No dynamic or golden hour light.

I am sure Leica are putting the camera in the right hands to get some interesting shots taken at the right time of day. Give one to Nathan Kiern for gods sake!
    My Tumblr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in DPR. What do you think?

1. These pics were not released by Gaummy. Probably a marketing unit released these pics and obviously they were not properly post processed. See dust spots? Probably, a marketing unit for M has made plan in advance 5-6 months and that is why they released images which were taken 5-6 months ago with beta or alpha M's firmware.

2. Gaummy took many more interesting pics. See in the video? These pics will be properly post processed by him and released shortly. We will see. After all he is Magnum guy.

3. We cannot compare these images with the M9's Venice and Cuba launch pictures as they were heavily PPed and had lot more wow effect.

4. It seems to me that new images have lot and lot of dynamic range that is why they may look somewhat flat ( M monochrom anyone?). Give the files to people who knows about pp they can easily turn them to technically stunned images (not aesthetically though).

5. Dr. Ulrich's yatch racing pictures have better color rendition in my eyes as they were produced by a more recent firmware?

6. Hope to get my M soon as some may cancel their reserves, my wishful thinking, may be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    6. Hope to get my M soon
    Me too :-)
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Leica fan, but I am somewhat amazed at how people are lining up to buy a camera that has not yet demonstrated superior image quality to it's predecessor. If you recall the M8's "new" sensor design, the KAF-10500 between Leica and Kodak, wasn't exactly without issue. Now we have Leica and CMOSIS working together on a revolutionary new design which has never been used before. Combine that with all new hardware and firmware and I am cautiously optimistic but will wait for the teething problems to get sorted out before parting with my $7000 USD (or my M9).

In many ways this is a much more ambitious engineering undertaking than the S2 (or the M8) was. I am hoping for the best, but I am absolutely not ready to pull the trigger based on what has been presented so far.

Post Thanks / Like

While I can t speak for the MONO ....I suffered thru the releases of the M8,M9 and to a lesser degree the S2 . With the M8/M9 I obtained two bodies as soon as I could which was in about 90 days of launch . (getting one is easier getting two requires more than one list ).

In each case you may remember (or not) several releases of new firmware as well as improvements in post processing occurred within the first 6 months . Raw is not raw ....Leica adjusts the raw files to a specific color response thru firmware . Adobe ,their partner, then adjusts the raw conversions and the specific vendor calibration. This can be a night and day difference in the aesthetic of the files ..in the "straight out of the camera " conversion .

The S2 files at release were incredibly difficult to process to optimum IQ ..often appearing flat (they were linear tone curves ) . Only after updates to the firmware and the Adobe products ..plus the creation of development presets ....did the files appear pleasing to my eye. I waited on the S2 (its less important to my daily shooting) and it resulted in a high degree of customer satisfaction on my part . My camera was free of the defects found in the initial launch cameras and the firmware/software was refined .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 M-mount lens that I'm dying to use but have no M-mount camera. My options are M, M9, MM, or Ricoh A12 M. May be I have a bit of gambling blood in me, my hunch is to go with the M though I had used M9 for a week and instantly fell in love with it. For sure I will have chances to see many more samples before my dealer got the Ms.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, I have no doubt that Leica will get there, but I agree that it might take some time.

Remember, even the M5 eventually had all it's issues sorted out. It was called the M6...

Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 M-mount lens that I'm dying to use but have no M-mount camera. My options are M, M9, MM, or Ricoh A12 M. May be I have a bit of gambling blood in me, my hunch is to go with the M though I had used M9 for a week and instantly fell in love with it. For sure I will have chances to see many more samples before my dealer got the Ms.
    That's a no brainer. Six M mount lenses and no body? Buy a used M9 or new M-E tomorrow. Take incredible images every day for the next six months, then revisit the question.

I will be in Bangkok in a few weeks, and would be happy to go shooting and put some of that glass to work with you. It's a great city for photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    That's a no brainer. Six M mount lenses and no body? Buy a used M9 or new M-E tomorrow. Take incredible images every day for the next six months, then revisit the question.

I will be in Bangkok in a few weeks, and would be happy to go shooting and put some of that glass to work with you. It's a great city for photography.
    Sound good, pm me if you happen to be in town. May be you can show me how to photo the City.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound good, pm me if you happen to be in town. May be you can show me how to photo the City.
    I'm quite certain that you don't need me to tell you your style, but we can have fun comparing notes and trying out hardware. I'll bring the M2 along so you can get that "analog" vibe as well.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

All these samples really amount to nothing, if you ask me. They're too small for one thing, JPEGs at that, shot under less than ideal conditions and have dubious PP. The only thing they're actually good for is stirring the pot...

I'm "on the list" for the new M and I have mixed feelings. Not because of the images or anything like that, but for the same reason as many of you - it's radically new. Time will tell how it pans out. If it doesn't work out, that's fine too - I love my M9 the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    All these samples really amount to nothing, if you ask me. They're too small for one thing, JPEGs at that, shot under less than ideal conditions and have dubious PP. The only thing they're actually good for is stirring the pot...

I'm "on the list" for the new M and I have mixed feelings. Not because of the images or anything like that, but for the same reason as many of you - it's radically new. Time will tell how it pans out. If it doesn't work out, that's fine too - I love my M9 the way it is.
    Agree, I just do not want to be a $7k beta tester for Leica. They've already taken way too much from my bank account.

I have a very new M9P for sale. It's my second which was hardly used. 2165 actuations.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Agree, I just do not want to be a $7k beta tester for Leica. They've already taken way too much from my bank account.

I have a very new M9P for sale. It's my second which was hardly used. 2165 actuations.
    Maybe I'll pick up a spare M9P and keep it under the bed for a rainy day when my original gives up the ghost if this new M thing doesn't work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3. We cannot compare these images with the M9's Venice and Cuba launch pictures as they were heavily PPed and had lot more wow effect.
    Leica marketing has turned to photography rather than look-what-I-can-do shots. Expect photographic content rather than technical demonstrations for the real introduction portfolio.
    See the way the Monochrom was introduced with the Sobol series.
    Leica will leave the technical showoff images to reviewers and early users, I predict.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Leica will leave the technical showoff images to reviewers and early users, I predict.
    I can't help but feel this is just bizarre, but where marketing is concerned Leica does seem to be feeling their way along. The new M...The new S...ohhhh, so cool.

Perhaps Ferrari will adopt this course and have random soccer moms taking Modena's latest creations to the grocery store, but I have a feeling that seeing laps turned at Fiorano by Michael Schumacher is a better strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry guys, the M will be up to your expectations. Some will be a bit disappointed that the rendering will be different from the M9, due to CCD/CMOS, different manufacturer, different microlens layout... etc. But overall the M will probably be Leica's most successful digital M.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least the good doctor is learning how to focus. I don't care for the M9 vs. M comparison crops at 100% because you can see from the shadows in the M240 image that the light is not the same, adding contrast and color.

From the article "Guess it’s safe to say, resolution-wise the Ms DNG files beat out the predecessor easily."

Did anyone expect the resolution of the 24mp M240 to be worse than the 18mp M9?

EDIT: I just downloaded the full res DNG file from inside the bar, and it seems my early statement that "the doctor is learning how to focus" should have had an emphasis on learning. Still, this and the plant show that the files are pretty clean at ISO320 and seem to have good dynamic range.
    Last edited by StephenPatterson; 27th January 2013 at 21:43.

Post Thanks / Like

If he is the Dr. Ulrich Rhode I know about, he is an expert in RF (radio frequency) signal processing and high-performance receiver design, and is a partner in a company that designs such equipment. He's also active in the amateur radio community, so his engineering experience encompasses less-than-optimum conditions as well as optimum. This does not say anything about his photographic abilities, and cameras deal with initial frequencies several exponents higher than his primary area of expertise. But it does tell us that he knows more than a little about good engineering, and eqiupment that performs well. And some of the principles of extracting intelligence out of weak-signal RF would surely apply to extracting the best out of a camera sensor. So while he's not necessarily an expert in photography or digital camera design, he's definitely an expert in a sister field where some analogies might apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because someone is an aerospace engineer doesn't mean they are qualified to be a test pilot. While I am sure Dr. Rohde could contribute his engineering knowledge during the design phase his inability to record clean and accurate sample images has done little to demonstrate the limitations or abilities of this new camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded the raw files and will play with them for a short while in ACR but they look promising in terms of IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

My standard PP including WB, exposure and contrast. Different from M9 but very nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

The dynamic range definitely seems to be improved and these colors are better than anything we have seen before. I had expected to see more detail in the 100% crops and there is also moire showing up in the balcony railings on the shot of the building. I need to be working on a larger monitor and not my laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    The dynamic range definitely seems to be improved and these colors are better than anything we have seen before. I had expected to see more detail in the 100% crops and there is also moire showing up in the balcony railings on the shot of the building. I need to be working on a larger monitor and not my laptop.
    Indeed, the color is what impressed me most. The files will be very easy to work with, requiring minimal PP. I agree that the detail is not as good as expected, but it may be due to the photographer technique or camera shake.

Post Thanks / Like

I am more encouraged about the M240's IQ after seeing these samples, however I still want to see many more images with a range of lenses and a wide range of lighting/ISO conditions. But all in all not a bad day for the M240.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone can confirm for the Dynamic Range ? --> 11.7 + 6db !!!!
    Leica M