Site Sponsors

Thread: It's Official - Leica M Page and Brochure

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Official - Leica M Page and Brochure

Official Leica M Page and Brochure

You know we're getting close now. Leica has updated their website to include the official Leica M (Type 240) product page and made the brochure available as well.

In an earlier story (So Where's the M?) we can get a sense of when it will be available, and right now the best estimate is mid-February to March. Now, we say "available" loosely... It might be some time after that before the average person can get a hold of one.
    Last edited by Bob; 18th January 2013 at 07:06.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: It's Official - Leica M Page and Brochure

i didn't expect electronic viewfinder and focus peaking, presumably in finder and on LCD screen
    wonder what "improved ergonomics" means?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The focus peaking should be very interesting, as well as live view. For one thing, it'll make focus shift less relevant, even the new Noctilux focusable without aids wide open and open the door for other lenses (such as adapted R lenses).

As far as ergonomics, there's:

- The new rear thumbwheel
    - Directional pad (smaller, higher up and now has INFO button)
    - Buttons along left side (rearranged somewhat, resized, new LV)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i didn't expect electronic viewfinder and focus peaking, presumably in finder and on LCD screen
    wonder what "improved ergonomics" means?
    All those were already announced.

"improved ergonomics" = Thicker body.

BTW, a lot of people are going to be disappointed with LV/focus peaking and fast lenses. Most likely they will find the RF focusing (assuming everything is aligned properly)faster and more accurate.

I think the LV comes in handy for macro work and while using teles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    BTW, a lot of people are going to be disappointed with LV/focus peaking and fast lenses.
    Could you expand on this, please?

And super-wides?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Live view or not, one still will have to worry about the aberrations a fast lens projects, wide open. It is easier/faster to let the RF take care of it than fiddling around with magnification buttons. You have to look through a Canon 50/0.95 to understand what I mean.

Macros (ie., 1X and above) are impossible with an RF cam without an optional visoflex and such accessory. Now, it will be possible without a visoflex. The LCD or the EVF could do the job.

Teles, the same case.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

LV and FP will help with teles, fast lenses and sure, ultra wides - or any other lens for that matter. But will it be faster than the built-in RF? Doubt it. But at least you can zoom in for critical focusing and basically get a WYSIWYG display (like an SLR or P&S). It's still fiddly though and I doubt it's going to be the proverbial silver bullet.

It remains to be seen if all this is worthwhile. I like the M (as-is) because I don't need my glasses to shoot it, for one thing. And trying to make one camera do everything usually results in a camera that does nothing really well. Perhaps keeping an SLR, P&S and RF as separate tools isn't such a bad thing? Right tool for the job and all that...

I'm "on the list" but I sure hope to see some other guinea pigs check it out first.

Post Thanks / Like

Live view or not, one still will have to worry about the aberrations a fast lens projects, wide open. It is easier/faster to let the RF take care of it than fiddling around with magnification buttons. You have to look through a Canon 50/0.95 to understand what I mean.
    Thanks, Vivek.

So is the problem likely to be limited to ease of use? Would you expect it to still be a problem with 1.4 lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    LV and FP will help with teles, fast lenses and sure, ultra wides - or any other lens for that matter. But will it be faster than the built-in RF? Doubt it. But at least you can zoom in for critical focusing and basically get a WYSIWYG display (like an SLR or P&S). It's still fiddly though and I doubt it's going to be the proverbial silver bullet.
    Speed wouldn't be an issue for the sort of applications I have in mind. However accuracy would be key.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, I forgot one little aspect that Leica are said to have implemented- they have a distance sensor coupled with the RF in the new M. This could mean (if it is implemented the way I expect it to be) that the LV magnification could be set to be activated when focusing a RF coupled lens. If this is the case then one can do away the button pushing to activate the LV magnification and this would mean ease of operation with live view.

Keith, The f/1.4 lenses would be a breeze (depending on the quality of the wide open performance), the f2 lenses, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Thanks, Vivek.

So is the problem likely to be limited to ease of use? Would you expect it to still be a problem with 1.4 lenses?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

following mark williams path, i am getting a cataract removed from my shooting eye just in time

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, many thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm still holding onto hope but these first official picture on the site do NOTHING for me. I think I rather stick with the M9 and add an MM (until I see something impressive) despite all the great and wanted features... The lens character is there but I don't see the M8/M9 "pop" yet.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

following mark williams path, i am getting a cataract removed from my shooting eye just in time
    That is what I need.
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I forgot one little aspect that Leica are said to have implemented- they have a distance sensor coupled with the RF in the new M. This could mean (if it is implemented the way I expect it to be) that the LV magnification could be set to be activated when focusing a RF coupled lens. If this is the case then one can do away the button pushing to activate the LV magnification and this would mean ease of operation with live view.
    Hmm...this works similarly on a NEX, for example, when in manual focus mode...turn the focus, and magnfication is engaged. I could see this being activated if the RF cam had an electronic sensor. But there would still be a need for different magnfications, and associated button presses.

Leica has done well with UI, hopefully they will continue to do so.

Critical focus via LCD: I would miss the tilt, and it has lower res than the A99 (but same res as NEX 7.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know... The NEX is pretty easy to focus wide open with a f/1.2 lens. Perhaps this will be more difficult but perhaps not.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

All those were already announced.

"improved ergonomics" = Thicker body.

BTW, a lot of people are going to be disappointed with LV/focus peaking and fast lenses. Most likely they will find the RF focusing (assuming everything is aligned properly)faster and more accurate.

LV is also super for landscape work.... The M240 is going to be amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't this page and this info been out for a while? I saw those low res beach photos months ago...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    The focus peaking should be very interesting, as well as live view. For one thing, it'll make focus shift less relevant, even the new Noctilux focusable without aids wide open and open the door for other lenses (such as adapted R lenses).
    There are some definite advantages to focus peaking with super fast lenses like the Noct etc. It will by no means make FLE/focus shift less relevant however because the RF focus is still going to be much more accurate and quicker. I've used the focus peaking with MF lenses on small format cameras and it by no means is preferable to RF focus for me. It's very nice to have both options though! I'm looking forward to it!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I'd agree, I would prefer the optical RF focus 99% of the time. But for that 1% of the time... Definitely nice to have.

The focus shift won't go away, but since you can focus with the lens stopped down you can avoid it, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

Be sure to get the new lens when you have the operation and you will have better than 20/20 . Not everyone knows about them . I have two friends that have had the operation and they both can use a RF again.

Roger

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Jim

Be sure to get the new lens when you have the operation and you will have better than 20/20 . Not everyone knows about them . I have two friends that have had the operation and they both can use a RF again.

Roger
    +1 Worth looking into.

Also, please make sure you understand the risks associated with them. Each body is unique.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be fun to debate once the M is actually out in the hands of experienced RF users . I ve handled the new M at Pro Photo and its very easy to understand . The EVF is the same as on the X1/X2 and I believe Olympus . Using it with Leica M glass is like using a Nex with an adapter .

Focus peaking has real benefits especially with fast lenses in low light . Its not so good with wide angles. When you magnify the view you get major camera shake issue (viewing) ...I can t imagine shooting much with a magnified view and longer lenses .

Most of the R glass doesn t balance well . Just because you can attach it doesn t mean it s a great working kit.

But probably the most important factor is you ability to master two very different focusing methods . Personally I can t imagine using an M primarily as an EVF solution . Why? As an exception ...its a benefit but if you expect to develop any rhythm in focusing ..you can t be switching back and forth frequently .

I am sure this will get plenty of disagreement . A RF system requires hand eye coordination that can only be developed thru plenty of experience/practice .

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger:

i am getting the Torit lens, which also corrects for astigmatism to a great extent. besides that, flare has been the biggest bugaboo. I might as well have a patch over my right eye as far as reading anything backlit, like a computer or I-pad screen or night driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

And super-wides?
    Oh yes, can't wait to break out my 15/2.8

@DN-Just so you know this brochure was handed out at Photokina. It looks like it has not changed. At least now it in on the website for all to see.
    Last edited by algrove; 18th January 2013 at 15:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger:

i am getting the Torit lens, which also corrects for astigmatism to a great extent. besides that, flare has been the biggest bugaboo. I might as well have a patch over my right eye as far as reading anything backlit, like a computer or I-pad screen or night driving
    Do you mean Toric, as in cataract replacement lens?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good points, Roger.