Site Sponsors

Thread: Summilux-M 35mm Pre-ASPH on the M Monochrom

Post Thanks / Like

Summilux-M 35mm Pre-ASPH on the M Monochrom

Does anyone have experience with this lens on a M Monochrom?
    I have seen som lovely B&W's shot with this lens on film so I am wondering how it will perform on a MM.

I am currently considering a mint one with a serialnumber of 276xxxx which was manufactured in 1975/1976. Will this fit on a digital body without modification?
    Instagram: instagram.com/borgeindergaard @borgeindergaard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Summilux-M 35mm Pre-ASPH on the M Monochrom

it used to be my favourite lens on the Epson, but i haven't gotten around to shooting with it on the Monochrom (it's been very icy outside and i am still recovering from a knee injury).

it's a lovely little lens, but has a few limitations. it definitely has a softer more glowy look wide open than the newer Asphs (a look i love) and can be prone to flare (alien ships, anybody?). it also has the 1m close-focusing limitation. (that bothered me a lot so i bought an Asph, but i still prefer the way the pre-asph renders).

the biggest issue is that some of the lenses have a shroud and need to be modified for use with a digital camera (infinity is an issue). i don't think i've seen any definitive list of serial numbers affected, though... do a google search and look at the issue in regards to the M9 and you should find a tonne of informative threads.

ETA: also, i don't believe you can physically code this lens (though you can choose it in the menu).

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 35 cron V4 on an M9 with no problems at all. It is a great combination but do not have the MM for comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

all the pre-asph Summicrons work without any issues on the digital M's, O.C. i've used the v.1 (8 element one) on the Monochrom and it's a stunning combination, especially for sunny days!

borge, i ended up taking the Asph to use in conjunction with the Noctilux last night in case i needed close focusing... as there was very little light, almost all the shots were at an obscenely high ISO. despite this, i regret that i didn't take the pre-asph as well because i wouls have loved to see how it handled the situation. also, it is much more reliable at any aperture than my Asph. not that i really had much chance to stop down, but i probably would have tried anyways.

i hope you found the answer to the shroud elsewhere but, if you're still interested, i will try to go out and shoot with it...

oh, and one other thing i thought of since i know you've been playing with filters. i believe to use filters on the pre-asph you need the hood -- so make sure that's included. (mine was modified by the previous owner and has a thread on the lens itself for filters so its never been an issue for me.)

and if you've never read it, this is a must! The legend of Lux-do