Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Expectations for the New M

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expectations for the New M

My gripe on IS is that more often than not, it makes the picture worse, and I'm talking from experience. I turned it off in my A900. For low light shooting, there is only one way, tripod. For moving subjects, only higher shutter speeds will freeze the movement. IS doesn't help in this case. IMO, the IS is way overrated.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For those that haven't used an OM-D with a manual focus medium tele (say 100-135mm) I suggest trying it. You'd swear you were viewing through a normal lens, or looking thru a magic device that slows down time through the viewfinder. Makes the world slow and fluid, no shakes. Of course, IBIS has nothing to do with stopping subject motion.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    My gripe on IS is that more often than not, it makes the picture worse, and I'm talking from experience. I turned it off in my A900. For low light shooting, there is only one way, tripod. For moving subjects, only higher shutter speeds will freeze the movement. IS doesn't help in this case. IMO, the IS is way overrated.
    It certainly can and theres no argument from me. . Yet at the same time there are circumstances where a tripod and/or monopod isn't feasable nor allowed and the difference IS will often make in those circumstances, is either getting a quite respectable, useable shot, or nothing at all. Since IS can be turned off, it's simply an option if ever needed for the circumstances I described and at other times, can be left "off", if thats what desired.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    It certainly can and theres no argument from me. . Yet at the same time there are circumstances where a tripod and/or monopod isn't feasable nor allowed and the difference IS will often make in those circumstances, is either getting a quite respectable, useable shot, or nothing at all. Since IS can be turned off, it's simply an option if ever needed for the circumstances I described and at other times, can be left "off", if thats what desired.

Dave (D&A)
    I agree with you Dave. Certainly in the cases you mentioned, IS would be very helpful.

But I have a few concerns from my Sony days about IS, even when left on off, there were several cases mentioned on the forums when the IS mechanism was broken and the sensor was tilted to one side or not exactly flat. Just one more thing that can go wrong and ruin your shooting, not just for one day but for a couple of months.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I agree with you Dave. Certainly in the cases you mentioned, IS would be very helpful.

But I have a few concerns from my Sony days about IS, even when left on off, there were several cases mentioned on the forums when the IS mechanism was broken and the sensor was tilted to one side or not exactly flat. Just one more thing that can go wrong and ruin your shooting, not just for one day but for a couple of months.
    Edward, I couldn't agree with you more, especially the example your outlined. Of course if we look at it this way, then a lot of the new technology being introduced in the new M could also falter and although it might not result in a total loss of picture taking at a critical moment or while on a trip, it neverless will eventually leave the user of the camera without it for weeks/months while being serviced. I guess that's the price of introducing more and more technology into today's cameras.

Just think, a user of an all manual Leica M film camera of the 1950's 60"s etc. would even balk at the simplest digital rangefinder, citing countless of reasons why that camera will be prone to failure and inoperable, similar to what you described with IS and Sony. These sometimes are tough choices as to whether to incorporate certain features or not. Just food for thought.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Despite having reservations about the quality of the EVF and CMOS as opposed to CCD the M is still on my radar. There are many features I would value.

My main concerns are Leica's quality control, their buggy releases and service.

Time will tell.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite all the complexity of today's digital cameras, I'm happy to say that I've had exactly no problems with any new or used digital camera I've bought in the past dozen years. All have worked flawlessly from the moment I bought to them when I sold them 20-50 thousand exposures later, or continue to work flawlessly since I'm still shooting with them.

I wish I could say the same for the film cameras I've purchased, every one of which other than new out of the box has needed one or another kind of service (although not always critically).

Yes, every manufactured product will show up with some defectives ... it's inevitable. But the number of defectives are generally in the 1-3% range. There's really nothing to worry about.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Digiscoping with the M ?
    Already possible for the DLUXs, but FF could be fun and provide much better detail.
    What do you think ? Is it feasable ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    How about Digiscoping with the M ?
    Already possible for the DLUXs, but FF could be fun and provide much better detail.
    What do you think ? Is it feasable ?
    Digiscoping is generally more feasible with smaller format sensors due to image circle issues, never mind the mechanical issues of aligning and holding steady a larger, heavier camera with the telescope.

Of course, nothing stops you from giving it a go and seeing what you can get from it. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I would have rather they included IS and then had a button to turn it off.

I expect it to be better than the M9 most if not all aspects, but I also expect complaints about how it is too perfect and lacks character if Leica doesn't include a quirk or two. =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I would have rather they included IS and then had a button to turn it off.

I expect it to be better than the M9 most if not all aspects, but I also expect complaints about how it is too perfect and lacks character if Leica doesn't include a quirk or two. =)
    yes the rule of thumb is that all leica products are perfect until the new one comes out, then that is perfect, but the previous version has the "glow" that is missing from the new version, so it becomes sought after as much as the new version which is perfect.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    yes the rule of thumb is that all leica products are perfect until the new one comes out, then that is perfect, but the previous version has the "glow" that is missing from the new version, so it becomes sought after as much as the new version which is perfect.

Next I bet we're gonna hear how a Metabones Speed Booster is really essential to use with a Noctilux for the new M and why oh why isn't it available yet?

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Next I bet we're gonna hear how a Metabones Speed Booster is really essential to use with a Noctilux for the new M and why oh why isn't it available yet?

G
    Lets see, in general terms, the Metabones Speed Booster among other things increases the speed of the lens by approx 1 f-stop. Hmmm, how much faster does it make that 0.95 Noct? . Soon we won't even need to see the subject we're shooting in the dark.....simply point the camera/lens in the general direction and press the button...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since the A900, 5Dii, D3x and M9 generation of FF cameras, I feel that the IQ has gotten good enough that, even compared to today's cameras, things are starting to feel like choosing between one's film preference, rather than being a necessary IQ improvement. While I'm sure that the M 240 will have better DR and lower overall noise than my M9, I've got to ask myself whether that really matters to me, anymore, since I only shoot for myself these days. I do like some of the body improvements, like the shutter and weather sealing, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to trade up for.

As far as IBIS, I'd imagine that it would add some size to the body, which I already wish was slightly smaller like the film Ms. Here is a pic of the A900's FF sensor and IBIS housing, to give you an idea (a900 sensor on left.)
    http://www.roumazeilles.net/news/fr/...00_chong_7.jpg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

G
    I think it only works with SLR lenses (and cropped sensors) and not M lenses or full frame bodies.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think it only works with SLR lenses (and cropped sensors) and not M lenses or full frame bodies.
    Technicalities... :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Technicalities... :-)

G
    Yeah... Otherwise I'd get one to try on my NEX.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com