Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scam by GetDPI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scam by GetDPI Member

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I've been curios about something in general. Let's say someone is selling a high ticket item, either on eBay or through a private sale and payment is via Paypal. Assume for the moment that the seller is in the States and the buyer is overseas and although one ships to the Paypal acc"t listed on the Paypal payment received, I know that many overseas PayPal payment acc'ts don"t show " confirmed address" with seller protection. How then does it work if it turns out payment was fraudulent, like with a stolen credit card? I've always wondered about this.

Dave (D&A)
    If payment is fraudulent then you are covered by ebay. If the buyer, however, wants to scam you they are almost 100% guaranteed the ability to do so. All they have to do is say you shipped a box of rocks and ebay will force your money back. Buyer is absolutely covered by ebay. Selling on ebay is very risky. I have bought and sold many high price items on ebay and know the system well, many across seas. I sell to other countries when I want to get a higher price but willing to take the risk.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstaben View Post
    If payment is fraudulent then you are covered by ebay. If the buyer, however, wants to scam you they are almost 100% guaranteed the ability to do so. All they have to do is say you shipped a box of rocks and ebay will force your money back. Buyer is absolutely covered by ebay. Selling on ebay is very risky. I have bought and sold many high price items on ebay and know the system well, many across seas. I sell to other countries when I want to get a higher price but willing to take the risk.
    I very much appreciate your response. I realize much of what you say..but you mean if a overseas buyer of a pricey ebay item simply says they received a box of rocks (instead of say a expensive camera body...thats all it takes for them to get all their money back (and they keep the real item sent to them by the honest seller)??? Hard to believe it's that easy...with no other recourse. Can this be absolutely confirmed???

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Ebay/Paypal protect the seller, as long as the seller ships to the address that comes thru with the transaction, confirmed address or not.

If someone sells direct, i.e., not on ebay, the address that comes with the Paypal payment must be confirmed for the seller to be covered with paypal seller protection.

This applies to US sellers.
    Hi Monza,

I truly appreciate your response and explanation. Please see my post directly above this one. It's hard to believe the situation I responded to is absoluetly the way ebay/Paypal handles such a situation. Any thoughts?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that this scammer had the lens on hand with that special note for identification laid alongside as shown in your photo. But that does not truly mean anything more than just that. For one, the lens may not belong to him/her. And the same lens and identification note would be used all over again to perpetrate the same scam.

I had a bad experience a few years back from a seller in Indonesia selling a Patek. Lost US$3K but learnt a lesson for life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Monza--Do you know that could go wrong about this example?

Let's say there is a transaction where seller and buyer agree on a price for an item and the seller issues an invoice to the buyer. Now let's say the buyer lives overseas and requests seller ship this invoiced item to him in the US while buyer on a business trip to the US.

Buyer pays the invoice and seller ships agreed upon item. Do you foresee any issues in this case assuming seller ships correct item and insures it fully for the agreed upon value between buy/seller?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post

On a personal note, not all foreigners living in other countries are arrogant, insensitive louts either. There are positives and negatives in living in any location around the world. Most living in other places care deeply about the places they've chosen to reside. Moving to another part of the world is an amazing gift as all of one's senses are opened up to the wonder of new experiences.

I'd encourage everyone to get out and explore the world ... the exposure to other people, cultures and places will forever change you for the better.
    Well said Kurt! You have the right expat attitude for sure. Is there any place online we could view your Free Smiles portfolio? I would love to see it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    @ Monza--Do you know that could go wrong about this example?

Let's say there is a transaction where seller and buyer agree on a price for an item and the seller issues an invoice to the buyer. Now let's say the buyer lives overseas and requests seller ship this invoiced item to him in the US while buyer on a business trip to the US.

Buyer pays the invoice and seller ships agreed upon item. Do you foresee any issues in this case assuming seller ships correct item and insures it fully for the agreed upon value between buy/seller?
    Hi algrove,

I'll mention what I've learned, but of course will let others provide a more definitive answer. In your example given, (above), assuming invoice and payment is via paypal...from my understanding, you are only protected if you ship to the paypal address the buyer has on file with paypal and is shown when their paypal payment is sent and then received by you. If they want item shipped to some other address, they must get in contact with paypal and have this different shipping address listed on their paypal acc't too. Otherwise shipping to an address not listed along with their paypal payment, is not authorized nor protects you as the seller. This is aside from what I also described "below"

All I just stated is seperate from the requirement that the buyer and any of their official shipping address must also be listed as showing "seller" protection. If unsure, simply call Paypal and describe all facets of the pending transaction and let them guide you as to the requirements of a given tranasaction and if you are covered. Of course "signature" required on parcel I believe is also a requirement for seller protection.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 31st January 2013 at 07:02.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave-Thanks. If I have a deal go through, then I will have the buyer add an alternate shipping address into his Paypal account. Yes, I would only send with Adult Signature required.

Good advice.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Dave-Thanks. If I have a deal go through, then I will have the buyer add an alternate shipping address into his Paypal account. Yes, I would only send with Adult Signature required.

Good advice.
    Even when the potential buyer adds another official Paypal address to ship to...it not only has to show up with his offical paypal payment to you, but you need to check if shipping to this seller (and whatever official address he selects), qualifies for seller protection. Even ligit paypal users from certain destinations, don't qualify for seller protection. If in doubt, at the very least, call Paypal and have them look into your specific transaction with the potential seller for confirmation and peace of mind. I'm sure others here can add to what I mentioned.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe this was all a convoluted ploy to scam a poor woman for her heavily used vice!

But really... glad you got out of that one. Funny that the scammer spent the money to ship a vice too... it's not like you'd see the package until it arrived, so why ship something that weighs so much and costs so much to ship?!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't get notifications so didn't see these posts.

Regarding the 'box of rocks' scenario, I have never had that happen to me. However, I am aware of a similar situation (the buyer did not send back rocks, actually returned a different camera than the one purchased in the auction) and the seller was ultimately protected. It did take some effort on his part, calling ebay, etc.

Regarding a paypal invoice to an overseas buyer with a request to ship to a US address, Dave is correct, the buyer will need to first add this address to his paypal account, and send funds so that address is attached to the purchase. The paypal transaction page will notate whether it is a confirmed address, and whether the seller protection policy applies,

Here is the protection policy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I very much appreciate your response. I realize much of what you say..but you mean if a overseas buyer of a pricey ebay item simply says they received a box of rocks (instead of say a expensive camera body...thats all it takes for them to get all their money back (and they keep the real item sent to them by the honest seller)??? Hard to believe it's that easy...with no other recourse. Can this be absolutely confirmed???

Dave (D&A)
    Dave, you can read countless stories about this and as a longtime ebay seller I guarantee it's easy to scam a seller if you want to. When you sell things you are really relying on the integrity of the buyer. It's not easy to go through the claims process and it takes some time but ebay absolutely favors the buyers in dispute cases. In addition the buyer can file a credit card chargeback. sdafdsads

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is really a bit of simplification. The rules are skewed to the buyer but there are many ways that sellers can protect themselves to reduce or eliminate risk. After thousands of such transactions, and tens of thousands more from resellers I personally know, over many years, this risk is minuscule, otherwise sellers would have abandoned ebay as a selling venue long ago.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    I'm not certain if the above was directed at me or not, but thought that I'd respond to further clarify my comments. I don't believe that anyone was denigrating a whole country or its people. I simply added a first person experience as a reference so that others might understand a little more background about the actual experiences of shipping and receiving parcels to and from the Philippines. The bottom line is that there are significant delays, additional costs and risks. It's an emerging economy (with the largest rate of economic growth in SE Asia in the latest quarter) so there are bound to be irregularities. People who live here don't bitch and moan about the issue, they simply repeat their experience as a way of warning to others so that they do not lose their valuables.

There are cheats and thieves in every country ... but there are places where it is wise to use more caution than others when shipping goods or completing services.

On a personal note, not all foreigners living in other countries are arrogant, insensitive louts either. There are positives and negatives in living in any location around the world. Most living in other places care deeply about the places they've chosen to reside. Moving to another part of the world is an amazing gift as all of one's senses are opened up to the wonder of new experiences.

While in the Philippines I've had an opportunity to work with various NGOs and to spend some time working in a number of orphanages. I also just finished my first exhibition of Manila photos, 'Free Smiles', documenting the day-to-day life of people who live in the 'real' neighborhoods of Manila.

I'd encourage everyone to get out and explore the world ... the exposure to other people, cultures and places will forever change you for the better.
    Kurt, my response was not specifically directed toward you.

In 18 months you have given your opinion based on your experience. I respect that.

I have lived more than 18 years in other cultures. And all my remaining life in my own country. I travel extensively..and counting. So I do appreciate other cultures and know about the most common ones.

My opinion is based on my experience. Please respect that.

My country is the host to largest number of guest workers from all nationalities,
    bar one or two. The largest number of expat workers in any country in the world. The phillipine guests play a vital role in our development. And also the remittances they send home tops all so called economic aid given by certain countries.

The Phillipine people have worked reporting to me and for me. Not for 18 months but years. I have visited their country numerous times. I know them personally and professionally.

I gave my opinion based on interaction with Western expats and Eastern expats.

I stand by my opinion. And please do not consider it directed at anyone in particular..but a general statement based on my considerable experience.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any transaction with a third party requires a degree of trust.
    The rules of the road are generally to avoid those that are unknown to you, those that insist on unusual forms of payment, and those that that have no history with the community.
    Scammers come from anywhere. Transactions outside of your legal reach are the most difficult to deal with.
    So, folks, please be careful.
    Since the discussion has gone a bit off topic and a bit general, I am closing this thread.
    thanks
    -bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post