Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scam by GetDPI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Scam by GetDPI Member

I put this in the negative feedback section but since it really is a valid scam warning i thought i would post it here (since it was leica equipment) just hoping to keep anyone from being scammed by this person if possible they are on this site and we need to be aware.

Blatant scam by member juyjoy also known as mary joy florece from the Philippines (probably not a real name). We were going to trade her 50mm summilux asph for my 35 lux and 50 cron. she sent me the following photo along with closer images of the lens as proof that she had the lens.

DSC02015 by jon.manes, on Flickr

a lot of what she was saying did not add up. i tried to cancel and She claimed she shipped it already via fedex and had the receipt with her but when i asked to see it, it was at home. I decided to go on with the deal because she had already shipped and i did not want to screw her out of shipping costs, i only asked that she show me the fed ex receipt. but then the package was delivered back to her house by accident... within a day of being dropped off. she then said not to worry her cousin was going to drop it back off and probably already had... but is was very late over there so the timing did not add up. i thought about it for an hour or so had a really bad gut feeling and told her i was cancelling, i didn't trust the deal or her. she did a very good job of making me feel like i was wrong for not trusting her and her cousin already shipped it and she would show me the shipping details soon, she sent me the shipping label and i apologized and said i would ship... again she had me. but after further review she did not claim a value for customs and claimed it as accessories... it just did not add up. i told her to reclaim her package and offered to pay for her shipping costs if she would send me receipts. she would not send me the receipts even then claiming I told her if it got here i would ship my lenses to her but i did not trust it and had a bad gut feeling. she got mad and did a very good job of making me feel guilty for not trusting her. we cancelled the deal and she was going to reclaim her package and sell it to a more 'reliable' person... i felt bad but had to trust my gut.

Her package actually shipped though, i guess she could not stop it. it came in today. my wife got it and opened it.

imagejpeg_2 by jon.manes, on Flickr

it was a small heavily used vice in a box. completely blatant scam.

here is all the info i have about this person hopefully it helps someone else prevent a scam from this person. no doubt they will create a new user id and email and use a new name, the address though that is were they wanted it shipped so i would look out for that.

member name Juyjoy
    email used: [email protected]
    shipping details and phone number used.
    Mary Joy Florece
    328 San Agustin Street, Bolante 2
    Brgy. Palatiw, Pasig City
    Metro Manila, NCR
    Philippines, 1600

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scam by GetDPI Member

I had heard on other forums of scams from Phillipines. I'd only go through a trade from someone you trust very much as you have NO protection from paypal, etc. Did this person have any feedback on this or other forums/sites such as FM or ebay? Good you trusted (barely haha) your instincts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstaben View Post
    I had heard on other forums of scams from Phillipines. I'd only go through a trade from someone you trust very much as you have NO protection from paypal, etc. Did this person have any feedback on this or other forums/sites such as FM or ebay? Good you trusted (barely haha) your instincts!
    you know i never asked for ebay stuff and she had no feedback here, neither do i though and i think of myself as trustworthy i did research the info i was given and i found some usernames that matched the phone number on other websites that had good feedback. i should have asked for ebay or other proof of positive feedback.

i would have been so sick today if i had actually shipped my cron and lux... so sick. so glad i cancelled

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate when the mark is unreliable. I hope you send her screw back. Perhaps you can send it to a local police station for safe keeping until she claims it.

Post Thanks / Like

if it wasn't so dang expensive i would consider shipping it back. actually i may clean it up and put it to some use

Post Thanks / Like

i left out the part where she wanted to me to send it and mark the customs forms as defective and only $100 value... she insisted in fact. many people outside the us do this to save on taxes or duties. this is the prime reason why i don't like shipping outside of the US. It's not that you can not get screwed by people in the US or that people outside the US are not trustworthy. its just that if you ship it outside the US when you claimed it as only $100 you have no recourse. plus i'm a former Marine and if your in the US and i have your address... well that's an easier issue to deal with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if the screw/vice was symbolic or a trademark signature? Incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moreammo View Post
    i left out the part where she wanted to me to send it and mark the customs forms as defective and only $100 value... she insisted in fact. many people outside the us do this to save on taxes or duties. this is the prime reason why i don't like shipping outside of the US. It's not that you can not get screwed by people in the US or that people outside the US are not trustworthy. its just that if you ship it outside the US when you claimed it as only $100 you have no recourse. plus i'm a former Marine and if your in the US and i have your address... well that's an easier issue to deal with.
    Well if you have someone trying to get out of paying customs/duty there you have it right there that the person is by definition dishonest. You're right you don't have any recourse at all even if you use paypal if you don't claim full value.

Too bad you couldn't send her back something like a rock and claim it was a lens and full customs value of say $5000, then she pays full customs and gets a rock!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstaben View Post
    Too bad you couldn't send her back something like a rock and claim it was a lens and full customs value of say $5000, then she pays full customs and gets a rock!
    yeah that would be funny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I wonder if the screw/vice was symbolic or a trademark signature? Incredible!
    it seems like good choice for the job really. its hefty and once you tighten it it will hold tight and not shift around too much. if you have to scam someone and have a vice laying around, its a good fit.

would be a funny signature though. 'you got screwed'

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess the moral is there is no escrow via paypal on trades?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...glad you listened to your spider sense and didn't ship your lenses out...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    I guess the moral is there is no escrow via paypal on trades?
    you know there really should be some kind of escrow for trades.... maybe you both ship your items to a business and the business gets a small fee for verifying everything...

Post Thanks / Like

moreammo, feel somehow sad that this all the more adds a bad rap to the Philippines.
    Kindest,
    Dave

http://www.xdayv.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Long distance trades with strangers are always risky. I've traded with folks before but it always makes me uncomfortable unless I know the other party very well.

If I know someone well enough to send the equipment I'm considering trading ahead for them to try out, and they feel likewise for me, then I feel good about trading. Otherwise, I don't do it ...

G

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh. That's crazy. Glad you listened to your instinct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    moreammo, feel somehow sad that this all the more adds a bad rap to the Philippines.
    I agree. i don't place blame on the location just on the person but it will taint me for any international deal if i am being honest.

Post Thanks / Like

I won eBay auction for the M9 from uk recently. It was claimed to be in "great conditions" but had scratches, scuffs all over the exterior and focus ring of one lens was very stiff when used with this camera. So I sent it back but had to open dispute with PayPal to get my refund. Lot of hassle but I got my money back (minus shipping expenses both ways and import tariff). Lesson learned. I will never buy expensive items again from ebayers that don't have good track records.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It saddens me to have to say it, but I don't think that I would recommend buying and selling any gear from anyone here in the Philippines. I've lived here now for almost 18 months and truly enjoy the people. But there's very much a wild, wild west criminal element that will quickly try to relieve you of your valuables. Then, should you be lucky enough to successfully engage in a transaction with a local person, you have no guarantee that the item (especially for Philippines recipients) will navigate its way through a postal and customs department that might just be even more dishonest.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of returning it with a declared value of 5000 and let them pay duty

Post Thanks / Like

I got scammed by the exact same GUY for something I bought from the classifieds on Steve Huff's site.. First of all, it is a guy and not a women named Mary. I alerted Paypal instantly and they held his funds and refunded me everything the next day. The funny thing was that he freaked out when I called his bluff and showed up at the hotel (with two local persuasive guys) he was staying at. Good thing he wasn't there. He had no idea I was living in Manila at the time and it obviously came as a surprise. He admitted in the end that he scammed me as "payback" for him being scammed by an American. Stupid story... He does indeed live in Pasig but not at that address you provided.... This person is pure scum and gives a bad name to filipino's who are generally great people.
    Last edited by Gary Clennan; 29th January 2013 at 20:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    I like the idea of returning it with a declared value of 5000 and let them pay duty
    Except that the customs department in the Philippines opens and inspects all in-coming parcels that arrive in the country. Very high customs fees and government taxes on arriving packages are an important source of revenue for the government and for corrupt customs officials (who are very often on the take.)

Since the package would have had a large amount noted on the air bill, it would most certainly have been opened with the hope of a big payoff.

I speak from experience as I my S2 that was repaired by Leica in Germany shipped to my Manila address. The DHL package 'sat' in customs for three weeks as we (the customs department and I) traded emails and phone calls requesting delivery and a determination was made about the value of the camera and the repairs.

The unofficial motto of the customs department is 'the longer the gear is held captive, the more you're willing to spend to have it delivered.' Finally, in an act of desperation, I went to the DHL office and camped out for 6 hours waiting to visit with the customs official that was handling my package. He never showed his actual face, but used is underlings to negotiate a fee that would best satisfy both parties.

Most expats and wealthier Filipinos I know, buy their gear in Hong Kong or Singapore to avoid the extremely high cost of receiving it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great point Kurt. I always hated going to the post office there to pick up goods. I once bought a new Zeiss lens from the US and vowed never to do that again. It is pure corruption and a painful process. It took me 7hrs one day to pick something up. There was a lady sitting on a stool who opened each package (in front of everyone) and passed her notes along for the others to collect the money. It is a huge money grab and they do indeed target the wealthy...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This story really turns my stomach. I am just glad moreammo had good instincts and avoided what would have been both a painful and expensive situation. Just recently I was thinking of proposing a trade with someone I really don't know much about and this has given me food for thought.

I realize most transactions are ligit and work out extremely well, but as they say, it only takes one bad apple to leave a very bad taste.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any other getdpi members in Phillipines who can really help trace/track the person living in that address? Jeez, this is bad...I would be scared of doing any International deals....

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that certain groups of users, such as Leica photographers, are like honey to the scammers. I believe there have been several problems with the market at Steve Huff's site, as the scammers combine inside jargon along with what seems like great deals and after that the hook is set.

I'm just glad this worked out without significant loss (except for the vise grip)!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clennan View Post
    I got scammed by the exact same GUY for something I bought from the classifieds on Steve Huff's site.. First of all, it is a guy and not a women named Mary. I alerted Paypal instantly and they held his funds and refunded me everything the next day. The funny thing was that he freaked out when I called his bluff and showed up at the hotel (with two local persuasive guys) he was staying at. Good thing he wasn't there. He had no idea I was living in Manila at the time and it obviously came as a surprise. He admitted in the end that he scammed me as "payback" for him being scammed by an American. Stupid story... He does indeed live in Pasig but not at that address you provided.... This person is pure scum and gives a bad name to filipino's who are generally great people.
    Thanks for sharing Gary, good to know, if you have any further detail about this person please share it so others can hopefully avoid him as well.

Post Thanks / Like

All i can say is I am extremely glad i listened to my gut. i was very close several times to shipping my lenses because i felt i was screwing this guy over or being unfair... it sucks to be the honest person sometimes but luckily i got out of this one. i am still saddened that people like this exist, its just sad.

ironically if they guy hadn't been so greedy and had actually sent a fed ex package when he first said he did i would have shipped and been screwed. anyway the jokes on him, it's not exactly free to ship a vice from pasig to texas

-Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Woooooaaahhh! You lucky Dogg!!

In this politically correct world, one quickly becomes confused with himself over such simple things as (not!) dealing with countries like the Philippines.
    I know it may be a generalization but still, in general, dealing with those countries is sketchy at best. I've had my share of complications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

moreammo- Hey, perhaps some finger prints could be had off that crappy thing just for ole times sake. I have heard of rocks, but never that in a box. Very inventive. Maybe we should pool our frequent flyer miles together for ammo to go over there in order to "hand" the vise back to him/her.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have not visited the Philippines, and can only speak directly about my approx. ten years living and working in China, but there are so many scams here that people are much more cautious and skeptical than their counterparts in the west (IMHO).

Everything from stuffing fish full of ice (to increase the weight) to fake train ticket agents (complete with booth). When I bought my first car in China I had to take cash to the dealership, because a salesman had a customer wire the customers money to his account, and then disappeared.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy looking for more info on this person. I'll post whatever he finds here. My only goal at this point is to stop this person from scamming us so the more we can reveal the better.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Except that the customs department in the Philippines opens and inspects all in-coming parcels that arrive in the country. Very high customs fees and government taxes on arriving packages are an important source of revenue for the government and for corrupt customs officials (who are very often on the take.)
    This is why I often ship items with low customs valuation...not necessarily to reduce duties, but to not grab the attention of the corrupt in the customs department...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but if the corrupt steals the package, you are stuck with your low insurance claim: double whammy!

As the shipper you have to insure in full. Don't make other people's problems your problems.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The corrupt generally aren't attracted to small dollar amounts...or so has been my experience. In several years and hundreds of shipments...no losses. The alternative is outlined above. This has been a viable method to otherwise dodgy countries...

And there are third party insurers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Yes but if the corrupt steals the package, you are stuck with your low insurance claim: double whammy!

As the shipper you have to insure in full. Don't make other people's problems your problems.
    agreed

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and if you want a 50/1.4 Lux, drop me a PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Oh, and if you want a 50/1.4 Lux, drop me a PM
    you got any references... i had a bad experience

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, lots in the positive feedback thread, or how about this.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, I'm in Cedar Park.

Post Thanks / Like

nice

Post Thanks / Like

perfect lets talk, you like bbq

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Woooooaaahhh! You lucky Dogg!!

In this politically correct world, one quickly becomes confused with himself over such simple things as (not!) dealing with countries like the Philippines.
    I know it may be a generalization but still, in general, dealing with those countries is sketchy at best. I've had my share of complications.
    Come on guys. This is getting out of hand.

As if all others are angels. And honesty is the province of certain countries!

Just look at your own news to see the fleecing that goes on.

This was a bad person. Simple. He was trying to steal, defraud, cheat.

Let's not blame an entire nation for such things. I know of people here that are quick to denigrate others. And as a consequence have been banned from multiple forums.

I am glad moreammo was not relieved of his equipment.

I personally would not buy or ship to certain countries. Guess which ones?

And then there are those that stay abroad and bitch and moan about the whole country and entire departments which are hosting them.
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post

Let's not blame an entire nation for such things. I know of people here that are quick to denigrate others. And as a consequence have been banned from multiple forums.

And then there are those that stay abroad and bitch and moan about the whole country and entire departments which are hosting them.
    just to be clear i said i didn't blame the location just the person. it will taint me from shipping to other countries but i don't blame the countries i just don't have much recourse and don't like that.

-Jon

Post Thanks / Like

There are bad apples in every country. However, with certain countries there is a much higher risk of things going awry. If you are not willing to take this risk, just stay away (as I now do).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been curious about something in general. Let's say someone is selling a high ticket item, either on eBay or through a private sale and payment is via Paypal. Assume for the moment that the seller is in the States and the buyer is overseas and although one ships to the Paypal acc"t listed on the Paypal payment received, I know that many overseas PayPal payment acc'ts don"t show " confirmed address" with seller protection. How then does it work if it turns out payment was fraudulent, like with a stolen credit card? I've always wondered about this.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th January 2013 at 19:05.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ebay/Paypal protect the seller, as long as the seller ships to the address that comes thru with the transaction, confirmed address or not.

If someone sells direct, i.e., not on ebay, the address that comes with the Paypal payment must be confirmed for the seller to be covered with paypal seller protection.

This applies to US sellers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could this be moved to the "anything goes" section? I feel it has served its purpose and I also feel that the title is misleading based on the information provided by Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Could this be moved to the "anything goes" section? I feel it has served its purpose and I also feel that the title is misleading based on the information provided by Gary.
    i'm ok with it being moved, my goal is just to make sure people know this guy is out there. I am curious why you feel the title is misleading? it was a scam by a member, seems pretty straight forward to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post

I'm not certain if the above was directed at me or not, but thought that I'd respond to further clarify my comments. I don't believe that anyone was denigrating a whole country or its people. I simply added a first person experience as a reference so that others might understand a little more background about the actual experiences of shipping and receiving parcels to and from the Philippines. The bottom line is that there are significant delays, additional costs and risks. It's an emerging economy (with the largest rate of economic growth in SE Asia in the latest quarter) so there are bound to be irregularities. People who live here don't bitch and moan about the issue, they simply repeat their experience as a way of warning to others so that they do not lose their valuables.

There are cheats and thieves in every country ... but there are places where it is wise to use more caution than others when shipping goods or completing services.

On a personal note, not all foreigners living in other countries are arrogant, insensitive louts either. There are positives and negatives in living in any location around the world. Most living in other places care deeply about the places they've chosen to reside. Moving to another part of the world is an amazing gift as all of one's senses are opened up to the wonder of new experiences.

While in the Philippines I've had an opportunity to work with various NGOs and to spend some time working in a number of orphanages. I also just finished my first exhibition of Manila photos, 'Free Smiles', documenting the day-to-day life of people who live in the 'real' neighborhoods of Manila.

I'd encourage everyone to get out and explore the world ... the exposure to other people, cultures and places will forever change you for the better.