Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New M files available from Jono

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New M files available from Jono

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I think a lot of different films have a great look to them.
    I agree. Choose a process for its strength. Having spent a few days recently scanning some old color film, while I might stick to color negative, I am not so sure I want to return to slides. Part of what gave Kodachrome its look was its narrow DR, to use the digital term. But I can totally get why folks like the look. I just don't think folks designing the profiles for the sensors are really interested in imitating film.

I have a theory about how folks ascribe a look to slide films. It come down to packaging. The old thing about Kodachrome being warm, Ektachrome being cool and Fujichrome and its greens, just look at the boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New M files available from Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I agree. Choose a process for its strength. Having spent a few days recently scanning some old color film, while I might stick to color negative, I am not so sure I want to return to slides. Part of what gave Kodachrome its look was its narrow DR, to use the digital term. But I can totally get why folks like the look. I just don't think folks designing the profiles for the sensors are really interested in imitating film.

I have a theory about how folks ascribe a look to slide films. It come down to packaging. The old thing about Kodachrome being warm, Ektachrome being cool and Fujichrome and its greens, just look at the boxes.
    That's basically what Imaging Resource said, in that the M9 has a contrast curve that has a smooth shadow tail with sharp highlights, and it has an unusual (for digital) color profile. They said it seemed to be some kind of combo of Ektachrome and Kodachrome, or something similar.