The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M files available from Jono

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To Jono,

after all these discussions: Again a warm THANK YOU for these great samples!

If there is color cast to whatever end, it is not your fault.

Best regards

Peter

peterv

Hi Peter
Thank You!
The pictures were taken with three different cameras - the bread shot was taken with a really early prototype (which definitely did show banding - although not seriously IMHO). Later and better calibrated sensors are better.

All I can see on your thumbnail is nuts . . . but I guess that wasn't the point!:)
:):):)

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Jono. I guess you're a busy man tonight :salute:

GMB

Thanks Jono.

And glad to see that you apparently have a new flat coat. When I posted a shot of ours over year you mentioned that you had one before but that he had died not to long ago.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
43 posts and only one comment on the actual DNG files ?

Thank you Jono for putting yourself out there although this group have been like the home town team . To learn anything truly new we need to start digging in a bit . I ve taken all of Jono s DNG s into LR4 and had done side by side comparisons on a calibrated retina screen to both my M9 and my D800e with R glass . I will do the same with Leica s proof DNG s later .

By almost any measure Leica has done a great job and I would expect these files to get better as post processing is refined .

Color was my number one concern and they seem to have profiled the new M as perfect as you can to the new sensor . Using the embedded profile from the DNG and what I would guess was AWB (please confirm Jono) the files all seemed to have pleasing white balance and clearly favored a Kodachrome color rendition . These were primarily good light photographs that did not test DR or AWB in difficult situations . But they were good with the embedded profile and this normally means they will be great once photographers refine them to taste .

Detail rendering appeared terrific but what I would expect from a 23MP sensor with Leica lenses . I could not see any significant improvement in detail rendering over the M9 ..but of course the images provided only were the new M . I attribute this to the fact that the M9 is very near the top in this category . Neither the new M or the M9 can compete purely on rendering of fine detail with the D800E and R lenses and certainly not with the S2/S. Since I don t make wall sized enlargements ..the differences are more common in cropped files and they do show up in the aesthetic .

None of the areas of true differentiation appear to be demonstrated . A few showed high contrast and the need for a large DR but no images at ISO 3200/6400 unless I missed them . If so they are really good . Leica has a few and I will try them later .

No question that these examples show a continuation of superb image quality but it appears all the companies have hit the edge of current technologies . If I was primarily shooting at base ISO +2EV or less ....the IQ would not cause me to trade up .

Jono could you comment on the magenta color of your wife s coat ?

Godfrey

He already did.

I've only had time to glance at three of the DNGs so far, but what I see looks great, an improvement on the M9. Just what I expected.

The other thing I'm interested in will have to wait, like:
- how well does it image with the Color Skopar 21 and 28?
- what's the responsiveness like? Shutter lag and write time...
- how well does the focus peaking work for doing macro work with adapted lenses?

These re what interest me, not how the camera compares with a D800 or whether it is sensitive enough to photograph the proverbial black cat in a coal mine at night. I don't make cat photos... :)

G

ashwinrao1

Lots of talk on the new M...Well, I went and edited some of Jono's files from the DNG's posted on LUF and Leica' site, and I would say that I am pleased enough with the output...These are Jono's shots, not mine, and are from the M240....sorry, Jono, if these edits offend at all...

I can say with conviction that the files are malleable, but not in the same ball park as the MM for BW work...in my mind, the files are more like M9 files for BW conversion than MM files, which have incredible mid tone flexibility....ISO performance of the MM is more to my taste, when pixel peeping, but nevertheless, the M240 will make for a nice BW camera as well, due to its expanded DR...banding is obviously present, but I believe firmware may be at play, from what reading on comments that I have done....

Apologies again to Jono if I have overstepped my bounds in posting and editing his images...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
He already did.

I've only had time to glance at three of the DNGs so far, but what I see looks great, an improvement on the M9. Just what I expected.

The other thing I'm interested in will have to wait, like:
- how well does it image with the Color Skopar 21 and 28?
- what's the responsiveness like? Shutter lag and write time...
- how well does the focus peaking work for doing macro work with adapted lenses?

These re what interest me, not how the camera compares with a D800 or whether it is sensitive enough to photograph the proverbial black cat in a coal mine at night. I don't make cat photos... :)

G
The new information provided was in the form of DNG files . You could assume that the intent was to allow potential buyers or just interested photographers to compare . Compare to what ? In my case I use 3 systems ..the M9 ,the D800e and the Leica S2 all with Leica lenses .

Comparing the files provides insights in the potential IQ that can be obtained from the new M . CCD verse CMOS has been the big question. IMHO comparing the D800E provides a good look at Leica glass on CMOS .

Anyone can fall back on ..only when I have the camera using my lenses on my favorite subjects will I know anything . If so why bother to participate ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The point on the magenta coat is that it looks exactly like the type of IR contamination we had with the M8 ...not like a tint calibration . Its one of those things that will show up in black fabrics . I can t find anywhere that Jono commented on this .

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

What a gift for the Leica community here and worldwide...your input is always respected and your vision and execution as always...flawless.

Like most here it is nice to say that I am distantly acquainted with the photographer who has represented Leica with multiple camera releases so well.
Looks like a great new Leica M ... but I have not seen a camera do poorly in your hands....

My favorite of the present pictures is that of Emma and Caspar.

Awaiting your writeup when the time is right.

Regards,

Bob

k-hawinkler

Arjuna

Hi Paul
quick off the mark! The young lady will be very pleased with your remark (it's my wife) - the jacket is purply/blue, the IR is pretty much exactly the same as the M9 - certainly no worse - so - there is a light effect with some acrylic materials.
xx

DaveS

Hi Roger, his answer is in post 18, cut and pasted here for simplicity,

All the best,
Dave

"Hi Paul
quick off the mark! The young lady will be very pleased with your remark (it's my wife) - the jacket is purply/blue, the IR is pretty much exactly the same as the M9 - certainly no worse - so - there is a light effect with some acrylic materials. "

Hi Paul
quick off the mark! The young lady will be very pleased with your remark (it's my wife) - the jacket is purply/blue, the IR is pretty much exactly the same as the M9 - certainly no worse - so - there is a light effect with some acrylic materials.
Jono ... Thanks for clarifying that, I was a bit surprised when I saw it ... the purple I mean, of course, I'm not surprised how young your wife looks ... photographers always seem to have younger wives and also seem to live to a ripe old age. There's a connection there I'm sure.

Congratulations on another fine set of images! Leica have chosen wisely!

Paul

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Went thru the additional Leica proof files (available on the Leica website) and focused on the high ISO images 3200 and 6400. Both I feel are excellent and at the "state of the market" ...probably behind Nikon if you compare similar sized files (23mp verse 36mp) and consider that the D3S/D4 is really a different market .

Evenness of the lighting plays a factor (good light at 3200 is different than a night shot at 3200) ..the loss of DR and color desaturation is there at 6400 and the under exposed shadows are mushy as you might expect . The Leica proofs are good samples and working them in LR4 shows their potential.

For street work ISO1600 is normally enough with a fast lens and its the DR to cover the -2EV drop in the shadows that too often kills a photograph . Thats my criteria ..yours may differ ....but its the basis for my POV.

Thumbs up to Leica for getting this one right ..it excels at base ISO and ramps up to 3200 very nicely . This also translates back into improved DR and color saturation at middle ISO levels .....so you may not need 3200 but you can enjoy a much cleaner ISO 400 and 800 than we have on the M9 .

ramosa

Jono,

Great thanks for the images!

Roger,

Thanks for your comments, especially the application for street photography. On the mark!

R

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Went thru the additional Leica proof files (available on the Leica website) and focused on the high ISO images 3200 and 6400. Both I feel are excellent and at the "state of the market" ...probably behind Nikon if you compare similar sized files (23mp verse 36mp) and consider that the D3S/D4 is really a different market .

Evenness of the lighting plays a factor (good light at 3200 is different than a night shot at 3200) ..the loss of DR and color desaturation is there at 6400 and the under exposed shadows are mushy as you might expect . The Leica proofs are good samples and working them in LR4 shows their potential.

For street work ISO1600 is normally enough with a fast lens and its the DR to cover the -2EV drop in the shadows that too often kills a photograph . Thats my criteria ..yours may differ ....but its the basis for my POV.

Thumbs up to Leica for getting this one right ..it excels at base ISO and ramps up to 3200 very nicely . This also translates back into improved DR and color saturation at middle ISO levels .....so you may not need 3200 but you can enjoy a much cleaner ISO 400 and 800 than we have on the M9 .
Jono, thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions.

Roger, I fully agree with your analysis on high ISO and street photograph. I am looking forward to the new M when time comes.