Thread: The new M in action--you never looked so good

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new M in action--you never looked so good

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new M in action--you never looked so good

I'm curious to see what pictures did she take with her finger in front of the lens.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not the M (Type 240). More like an M9 with tape over the model and... Something else over the roundel.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But she looks like she is using live view. Don't tell me there is not truth in advertising! The truthiness seems to be there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I'm curious to see what pictures did she take with her finger in front of the lens.
    She is dodging in-camera. The latest technique to control contrast--better than HDR. But regardless of the quality of the pictures, she is looking good!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if it's on the Internet it must be true...

Post Thanks / Like

Now I understand better why the other dude didn't want to buy the monokrum because of an invisible mark on the release button.

And look at that lady taking care of her face so much that she doesn't even let the camera touch her.

You know, guys, If I was saying to y'all that leica has become a poseur camera catering the rich and the fashion victims, I'd be witch-hunted by you all. I'd be the troll par excellence. You'd all be insulted.
    But when leica deliberately places itself in a revlon ad, depicting exactly what I'm talking about, it's ok?

I understand the marketing game very well. But guys, this is almost insulting the real photographer in me.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an M9 guys. It has a frame illumination window.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aw, sucks. But it is nice to know you keep watching it. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Olivia LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olivia looks awful in that ad, that's what bothers me. She's gorgeous and her hair and makeup are all wrong for her.
    My Blog | Music | flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Olivia looks awful in that ad, that's what bothers me. She's gorgeous and her hair and makeup are all wrong for her.
    It's funny that I was thinking the same thing. Even the skin color (or whatever fond de teint they used on her) doesn't look right.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that I was thinking the same thing. Even the skin color (or whatever fond de teint they used on her) doesn't look right.
    I know, it's downright creepy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Now I understand better why the other dude didn't want to buy the monokrum because of an invisible mark on the release button.

And look at that lady taking care of her face so much that she doesn't even let the camera touch her.

You know, guys, If I was saying to y'all that leica has become a poseur camera catering the rich and the fashion victims, I'd be witch-hunted by you all. I'd be the troll par excellence. You'd all be insulted.
    But when leica deliberately places itself in a revlon ad, depicting exactly what I'm talking about, it's ok?

I understand the marketing game very well. But guys, this is almost insulting the real photographer in me.
    I am not sure Leica paid a cosmetic company to be visible. The commercial makers used to have Yashica TLR and such as props before. I guess a TLR can't be show with the lipstick to be prominent. So a camera. With the kind of snapping she is doing, a Sony RX-1 without the dumb finder would have been perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

If they haven't paid then they should sue.

But yes, they paid. They are after that market. The Victoria Beckhams of the world. The woman photographer's blog featuring her M9 purchase is a part of this movement.

The new breed: the Leicats! Photographettes in akshon!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If they haven't paid then they should sue.

But yes, they paid. They are after that market. The Victoria Beckhams of the world. The woman photographer's blog featuring her M9 purchase is a part of this movement.

The new breed: the Leicats! Photographettes in akshon!
    Get a clue. Trust me, no one pays for product placement and allows the branding to be crudely blacked out.

A nice red dot would have gone nicely with that lipstick
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are different level$ of vi$ibility. Pay more and have the camera smudge her face. Pay even more abd there you have a vague starbucks in the bokeh. Pay a lot more and there you can see it clearly.
    Pay yet even more and there she is inside the starbucks.

If you can recognize the Leica and not mistake it for a fuji X100 or a смена-8 or a Kијев, you can be sure it's been paid for. Or someone should be fired.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's advertising and what I gather about the advertising industry (along with the limited knowledge of the fashion marketing industry) I'd gather it was an "honest" ad of combining modern classic beauty. Olivia Wilde is somewhat of a throwback to understated attractiveness in high fashion of yesteryear where it was as much about the strongest iconic features of the model and not globs of makeup to make an average woman beautiful. Leica M kinda of defines classic beauty in craftsmanship as well as retro functionality.

I'd say it's a natural match for this kind of ad and not yet another conspiracy theory. Even if they did pay for product placement amongst celebrities then who cares. Why would you not market your luxury item to the affluent - everyone markets to a target audience. Just doesn't make much sense to market a luxury pro level to the average young middle class family. A high level camera for that market costs in the $500-2000 range not a $10,000+ system. It's kind of how Canon/Nikon doesn't market the 1Dx/D4 in the big box stores - people go there for the APS-C cameras and IF they're informed or have the means they may get a 7D, 5D, D7000, or D800. That's rare though as the stocks on hand remain low on those level of cameras.

I promise Leica is not any more "evil" than the next company and if it's a status item for SOME then that's great. Some people actually just enjoy the camera in spite of the costs. I personally would've bought mine a lot sooner if it was less expensive.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God someone acknowledges! Geez, I was expecting another wave of attacks from uninformed people defending a concept they don't quite understand. I guess this is where my modest degrees on the subject come into play.

It is not a conspiracy. But Leica is now due to cater the real pros. I've got a good idea of what should be done, how to market it, and how the M had to be. In short: trash the cheap shutter for a more serious and robust one. But all the Victoria B€ckham$ of this world wouldn't care.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstand me. I think the M is a highly capable camera pro level camera or I could've spend my money elsewhere than on the two M9's I've purchased.

Now if you're after a marketing job with Leica then I don't think this is the right location on the internet to express your grand ideas really.

I will say the "attacks" you're referencing have more to do with your perceived condescending tone towards EVERYONE who uses a Leica M. Yes there are SOME collectors of cameras like there are collector's of most any exotic man made product but there are far more photographers be it professional, hobbyist, or amateurs with cash to spend. Maybe I'm wrong in my perception but your apparent grouping of all Leica M owners as snooty collectors has about as much validity as grouping anyone with a Canon or Nikon as a qualified professional. Neither is true and most Leica owners I've dealt with here tend to be very approachable, helpful, and here's a kicker - most own other systems as well. Again sometimes perception is "truth" and maybe you should clarify your entire point of view and MAYBE most people won't dismiss it as negative Leica bashing. I like to believe most people have good intentions but miscommunication can muddy intentions very quickly. I don't think most people here have a problem understanding marketing or product placement but I have to say any attack you feel you receive is kinda brought on when you make the unilateral blanket statements (or question people level of intelligence v. your level of "higher" intelligence) that you have made here and in the past.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's ugly.
    I doubt Leica had anything to do with it. The Revlon folks should answer for this.

:-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am sure most of you have seen this, but just in case:

Fotoshop by Adobé - YouTube

It has a nice fashion theme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think you misunderstand me. I think the M is a highly capable camera pro level camera or I could've spend my money elsewhere than on the two M9's I've purchased.

Now if you're after a marketing job with Leica then I don't think this is the right location on the internet to express your grand ideas really.

I will say the "attacks" you're referencing have more to do with your perceived condescending tone towards EVERYONE who uses a Leica M. Yes there are SOME collectors of cameras like there are collector's of most any exotic man made product but there are far more photographers be it professional, hobbyist, or amateurs with cash to spend. Maybe I'm wrong in my perception but your apparent grouping of all Leica M owners as snooty collectors has about as much validity as grouping anyone with a Canon or Nikon as a qualified professional. Neither is true and most Leica owners I've dealt with here tend to be very approachable, helpful, and here's a kicker - most own other systems as well. Again sometimes perception is "truth" and maybe you should clarify your entire point of view and MAYBE most people won't dismiss it as negative Leica bashing. I like to believe most people have good intentions but miscommunication can muddy intentions very quickly. I don't think most people here have a problem understanding marketing or product placement but I have to say any attack you feel you receive is kinda brought on when you make the unilateral blanket statements (or question people level of intelligence v. your level of "higher" intelligence) that you have made here and in the past.
    Yes you acknowledged the marketing part. Was refreshing and unexpected!
    Around these parts, one is quickly made a mega troll just for expressing a valid opinion.
    And how is my opinion any different then yours? My "higher intelligence"...
    What makes you right and me wrong?
    What about what I said is really worth censoring? Nothing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's the fault of sensor in the video camera that shot the commercial that resulted in that uncomplementry look to her skin tone. Darn, I knew they shouldn't have made the switch from CCD to CMOS!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see this camera in the hands of Alex Webb or David Alan Harvey.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at all the Apple merch on every TV show these days. It used to be an oddity. Now it's odd if it's NOT Apple. You usually see the telltale logo on the back of laptops, etc. - other times it's covered with a sticker. But you can just TELL what it is if you're familiar with the brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's ugly.
    I doubt Leica had anything to do with it. The Revlon folks should answer for this.

:-)

G
    She had to use live view because she smudged the viewfinder with lipstick. And all on an M9 nonetheless

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is an a-hole comment. What if the art director had picked another retro looking camera (because really, that's all they were after) such as a Fuji, etc would you say the same thing? Because props are usually all about the art director and stylist, and often just what is available. Sometimes it's even who has what on set - I know a lot of dp's that use Leica's as their personal cameras. Or the AD goes to the rental house and says let me look at some cameras and picks the best for the shoot. It's so obviously not of Leica's doing. Really, Leica doesn't have that sort of marketing/clout (they probably should).

My baby daughter's name is Leica, and I would say 7 out of 10 people just think it's a pretty name (or the Russian dog in space). I'm sure that 9 out of 10 people who buy Revlon could give a rat's *** what kind of camera is in the ad.

Why don't you go hate somewhere else....

Post Thanks / Like

And yes, it's a shitty looking ad (esp the John Boehner skin tone!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    Yes, this is an a-hole comment. What if the art director had picked another retro looking camera (because really, that's all they were after) such as a Fuji, etc would you say the same thing?
    Of course!!

You just showed that you don't quite get it. They aren't after an retro looking camera. They're after showing a lifestyle. What they're selling the girls is a lifestyle. But I feel I'd have to put too much time and effort to make you understand how and why it all works.
    There's no hating from me, but then again, I'm somehow absolutely not surprised that you saw otherwise.

You named your daughter Leica?