The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP - in Paris and have ISO issues on DMR - DANG!!!

PeterA

Hi guys, I am in Paris on holiday staying on Quay Voltaire ( directly opposite the Louvre) and have encuntered a strange issue with the DMR this afternoon.

For some reason the camera wont fire on any setting other than ISO 100. The symptoms include - flashing of the ISO numbers 200/400/800 on the cameras' settings screen. Everything is fine at ISO 100 and the camera works as it should.

I have tried removing battery/resetting all user profiles/ removing battery module from camera/ but the camera refuses to work on any IS0 setting greater than 100.

I have also noticed the I cant change the MOIRE setting....using the wheel.

hmmm..I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Strangely, the camera has only developed this problem today - it has been working just fine for a couple of weeks since I received it...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

PS I have the M8 with me as well as my Alpa but brought the DMR along so I could use the 70-180 and the 80 lux.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter Moire will only work when shooting jpegs. Now the ISO issue that one is weird. Maybe reload the firmware. One thing make sure the CAMERA is at ISO 100. Hopefully you did that when you had the film back on. Trying to remember this stuff on the DMR but i remember when the film back was on to set it to ISO 100 before putting the DMR back into service on it.

Direct link to firmware

http://www.leica-camera.us/service/downloads/single_lens_reflex_cameras/digital-modul-r/index.html

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Peter,

I have never had this problem but with similar quirks repeatedly removing and reinserting the battery or detaching and reattaching the battery compartment usually works. Sometimes I have to do it several times. Also, you may need to clean the contacts.

Also try: turn the camera on & off with the switch on the R8/9 AND the on/off switch on the back of the DMR.

Let us know what happens.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would second cleaning the battery contacts. I had a whole series of issues that could typically be eliminated by installing a fresh battery. I finally cleaned the contacts on both the DMR and the battery . All the problems went away.

robsteve

Subscriber
It is a contacts problem. I am not sure which set, but I think it may be the motor drive set, not the rear door/image sensor set. The communication between the DMR and the R9 is not making it through for the R9 to change its ISO. Try taking the drive portion off and cleaning all the contacts on the camera and the drive. You will need a q-tip or cotton bud equivalent to get into the contacts on the base of the camera. Don't forget the contacts up in the grip area too.

I could also mean the screw that attaches the motor unit to the base of the camera has loosened up and the contacts are not in full contact.

In regards to the Moire setting, it is only available when shooting jpegs. I guess they think you can fix moire in the RAW processor if shooting DNG.

Robert

Last edited:

PeterA

thanks for your responses guys - I removed the battery grip ( again) and made sure I tightened the bottom screw as tightly as I could - seems to have fixed the problem..:thumbup:

robsteve

Subscriber
cmb's post just reminded me of another thing that can cause you problems. If you change the DMR batteries with the camera in the off position, inserting the battery will turn on the DMR, but not the camera (because it is in the off setting of the mode dial). If you then turn the mode dial of the R9 to one of the on positions, the camera and DMR will both be on, but they may not be talking. When you change a battery, try to do it with the camera in the on position. If the battery is changed with it in the off position and the DMR comes to life, press and hold the off/ok button on the DMR until the DMR then shuts off. If you then turn on the R9, the DMR will be in sync with the camera and turn on at the same time.

Robert

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
cmb's post just reminded me of another thing that can cause you problems. If you change the DMR batteries with the camera in the off position, inserting the battery will turn on the DMR, but not the camera (because it is in the off setting of the mode dial). If you then turn the mode dial of the R9 to one of the on positions, the camera and DMR will both be on, but they may not be talking. When you change a battery, try to do it with the camera in the on position. If the battery is changed with it in the off position and the DMR comes to life, press and hold the off/ok button on the DMR until the DMR then shuts off. If you then turn on the R9, the DMR will be in sync with the camera and turn on at the same time.

Robert
Robert - I will add to this that, at least with my unit, the DMR does not turn on EVERY time I change the battery. Sometimes it will, sometimes not. So I am mindful of this and actually do as you described (shut off the DMR) when the DMR does turn on when changing the battery.

I also find it is good practice to be sure to turn off the camera and DMR when changing lenses and SD cards. It helps to keep the little quirks from happening.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert - I will add to this that, at least with my unit, the DMR does not turn on EVERY time I change the battery. Sometimes it will, sometimes not. So I am mindful of this and actually do as you described (shut off the DMR) when the DMR does turn on when changing the battery.

I also find it is good practice to be sure to turn off the camera and DMR when changing lenses and SD cards. It helps to keep the little quirks from happening.
Mine works the same way. I think it is related to how dead the battery that you are replacing was. In other words, if you run the battery down pretty low, if you take that battery out and put in a new one with the DMR shut off, it will power on.

Robert

PeterA

Ok well thanks everyone for your input - turns out it was to be ( unfortunately) the least of my concerns....LOL:cussing::cussing:

I got a rare form of 'compartment syndrome' which required surgery - the good news is everything turned out just fine..I get this open wound redressed everyday whilst it heals..tomorow we get to fly home - I got to make quite a few friends at the American Hospital in Paris...

Cheers! oh and Happy New Year:)

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

What are you doing to yourself? Don't exactly know what compartment syndrome is, but think it occurs after an injury or surgery. Did this just happen in Paris or is it from a prior incident? Glad you were able to have it treated no matter. Hope it didn't completely ruin your holiday. Keep us posted on your recovery and have a safe trip home.

Best Wishes,

Jim

ps...Wish you'd used the Alpa for this shot....would like to have checked out the nurses !! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :thumbdown:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Geeze Peter, that's pretty serious. Are you sure you'll be okay for the rather lengthy flight home???

PeterA

Peter,

What are you doing to yourself? Don't exactly know what compartment syndrome is, but think it occurs after an injury or surgery. Did this just happen in Paris or is it from a prior incident?

G'day Jim, that the frustrating thing - I had to endure 48 hours of what can only be defined as excruciating pain - before a correct diagnosis could be made - and that - and he got it only because he had been through the same thing himself! LOL:cussing:

My case was apparently one of those really rare less than one percenters of spontaneous manifestation...most doctors presented with same information would give the same incorrect diagnosis - take pill, lie down and put your feet up - which is 99% of the time correct advice - but in the 1% dead wrong - another two days and I would have lost most of my lower leg muscle..the remedy is pretty basic - slit the leg open at point of pain and release pressure ( by seperating muscle sheath from muscle) - a 1/2 hour operation with a two month recovery...

I only say this stuff because it could happen to anybody at any time - and ususally does in case of say a broken leg or severe trauma..it is something easily diagnosed and expected. If you get a sevre pain and lying down with feet up and a pain killer doesnt work - get it checked out...

Jack - yeah buddy it was potentially serious, cary serious...I will be ok for my easy 23 hour flight back..I am on a self administered pain and inflamation management routine - injections into stomach, pills, and more pills..all because of a stroll in Paris...:ROTFL::ROTFL:

I was only able to make a few shots before hospitalistion etc..but the light here even in mid winter is wonderful...

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Lucky you.....but always thought you were a 1%er :ROTFL: And, I've had many a spontaneous manifestations, but never required surgery!! :D ;)

Seriously though, am very happy you had a sharp doctor who made the correct diagnosis. Had something called a Complex regional pain syndrome a few years ago myself, and fortunately my doctor knew about it and saved my arm, so I definitely empathize with you.

Nice image....what did you take it with?

Have a safe trip home and enjoy your photography while you are recuperating. And, since you can't get around, why not send me your Alpa/Leaf back to test?
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Bon Voyage :salute:

Jim

PeterA

The image above was made with a 28 Elmarit on the M8 and me leaning out of the window left LOL

PeterA

No the 28 I have is not an aspherical...

this one was the view right shot with the 70-180 R.

EH21

Sorry to hear about your leg - hope that recovers well for you and that your next trip is trouble free.