Site Sponsors

Thread: HELP - in Paris and have ISO issues on DMR - DANG!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HELP - in Paris and have ISO issues on DMR - DANG!!!

Hi guys, I am in Paris on holiday staying on Quay Voltaire ( directly opposite the Louvre) and have encuntered a strange issue with the DMR this afternoon.

For some reason the camera wont fire on any setting other than ISO 100. The symptoms include - flashing of the ISO numbers 200/400/800 on the cameras' settings screen. Everything is fine at ISO 100 and the camera works as it should.

I have tried removing battery/resetting all user profiles/ removing battery module from camera/ but the camera refuses to work on any IS0 setting greater than 100.

I have also noticed the I cant change the MOIRE setting....using the wheel.

hmmm..I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Strangely, the camera has only developed this problem today - it has been working just fine for a couple of weeks since I received it...

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Pete

PS I have the M8 with me as well as my Alpa but brought the DMR along so I could use the 70-180 and the 80 lux.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: HELP - in Paris and have ISO issues on DMR - DANG!!!

Peter Moire will only work when shooting jpegs. Now the ISO issue that one is weird. Maybe reload the firmware. One thing make sure the CAMERA is at ISO 100. Hopefully you did that when you had the film back on. Trying to remember this stuff on the DMR but i remember when the film back was on to set it to ISO 100 before putting the DMR back into service on it.

Direct link to firmware

http://www.leica-camera.us/service/d...l-r/index.html
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,

I have never had this problem but with similar quirks repeatedly removing and reinserting the battery or detaching and reattaching the battery compartment usually works. Sometimes I have to do it several times. Also, you may need to clean the contacts.

Also try: turn the camera on & off with the switch on the R8/9 AND the on/off switch on the back of the DMR.

Let us know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I would second cleaning the battery contacts. I had a whole series of issues that could typically be eliminated by installing a fresh battery. I finally cleaned the contacts on both the DMR and the battery . All the problems went away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a contacts problem. I am not sure which set, but I think it may be the motor drive set, not the rear door/image sensor set. The communication between the DMR and the R9 is not making it through for the R9 to change its ISO. Try taking the drive portion off and cleaning all the contacts on the camera and the drive. You will need a q-tip or cotton bud equivalent to get into the contacts on the base of the camera. Don't forget the contacts up in the grip area too.

I could also mean the screw that attaches the motor unit to the base of the camera has loosened up and the contacts are not in full contact.

In regards to the Moire setting, it is only available when shooting jpegs. I guess they think you can fix moire in the RAW processor if shooting DNG.

Robert
    Last edited by robsteve; 30th December 2007 at 10:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for your responses guys - I removed the battery grip ( again) and made sure I tightened the bottom screw as tightly as I could - seems to have fixed the problem..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Voila!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cmb's post just reminded me of another thing that can cause you problems. If you change the DMR batteries with the camera in the off position, inserting the battery will turn on the DMR, but not the camera (because it is in the off setting of the mode dial). If you then turn the mode dial of the R9 to one of the on positions, the camera and DMR will both be on, but they may not be talking. When you change a battery, try to do it with the camera in the on position. If the battery is changed with it in the off position and the DMR comes to life, press and hold the off/ok button on the DMR until the DMR then shuts off. If you then turn on the R9, the DMR will be in sync with the camera and turn on at the same time.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez remote repair shop , gottta love it. Okay we want to see images
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    cmb's post just reminded me of another thing that can cause you problems. If you change the DMR batteries with the camera in the off position, inserting the battery will turn on the DMR, but not the camera (because it is in the off setting of the mode dial). If you then turn the mode dial of the R9 to one of the on positions, the camera and DMR will both be on, but they may not be talking. When you change a battery, try to do it with the camera in the on position. If the battery is changed with it in the off position and the DMR comes to life, press and hold the off/ok button on the DMR until the DMR then shuts off. If you then turn on the R9, the DMR will be in sync with the camera and turn on at the same time.

Robert
    Robert - I will add to this that, at least with my unit, the DMR does not turn on EVERY time I change the battery. Sometimes it will, sometimes not. So I am mindful of this and actually do as you described (shut off the DMR) when the DMR does turn on when changing the battery.

I also find it is good practice to be sure to turn off the camera and DMR when changing lenses and SD cards. It helps to keep the little quirks from happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Robert - I will add to this that, at least with my unit, the DMR does not turn on EVERY time I change the battery. Sometimes it will, sometimes not. So I am mindful of this and actually do as you described (shut off the DMR) when the DMR does turn on when changing the battery.

I also find it is good practice to be sure to turn off the camera and DMR when changing lenses and SD cards. It helps to keep the little quirks from happening.
    Mine works the same way. I think it is related to how dead the battery that you are replacing was. In other words, if you run the battery down pretty low, if you take that battery out and put in a new one with the DMR shut off, it will power on.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok well thanks everyone for your input - turns out it was to be ( unfortunately) the least of my concerns....LOL

I got a rare form of 'compartment syndrome' which required surgery - the good news is everything turned out just fine..I get this open wound redressed everyday whilst it heals..tomorow we get to fly home - I got to make quite a few friends at the American Hospital in Paris...

Cheers! oh and Happy New Year

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

What are you doing to yourself? Don't exactly know what compartment syndrome is, but think it occurs after an injury or surgery. Did this just happen in Paris or is it from a prior incident? Glad you were able to have it treated no matter. Hope it didn't completely ruin your holiday. Keep us posted on your recovery and have a safe trip home.

Best Wishes,

Jim

ps...Wish you'd used the Alpa for this shot....would like to have checked out the nurses !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geeze Peter, that's pretty serious. Are you sure you'll be okay for the rather lengthy flight home???
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Jim Stone;6307]Peter,

What are you doing to yourself? Don't exactly know what compartment syndrome is, but think it occurs after an injury or surgery. Did this just happen in Paris or is it from a prior incident?

G'day Jim, that the frustrating thing - I had to endure 48 hours of what can only be defined as excruciating pain - before a correct diagnosis could be made - and that - and he got it only because he had been through the same thing himself! LOL

My case was apparently one of those really rare less than one percenters of spontaneous manifestation...most doctors presented with same information would give the same incorrect diagnosis - take pill, lie down and put your feet up - which is 99% of the time correct advice - but in the 1% dead wrong - another two days and I would have lost most of my lower leg muscle..the remedy is pretty basic - slit the leg open at point of pain and release pressure ( by seperating muscle sheath from muscle) - a 1/2 hour operation with a two month recovery...

I only say this stuff because it could happen to anybody at any time - and ususally does in case of say a broken leg or severe trauma..it is something easily diagnosed and expected. If you get a sevre pain and lying down with feet up and a pain killer doesnt work - get it checked out...

Jack - yeah buddy it was potentially serious, cary serious...I will be ok for my easy 23 hour flight back..I am on a self administered pain and inflamation management routine - injections into stomach, pills, and more pills..all because of a stroll in Paris...

I was only able to make a few shots before hospitalistion etc..but the light here even in mid winter is wonderful...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Lucky you.....but always thought you were a 1%er And, I've had many a spontaneous manifestations, but never required surgery!!

Seriously though, am very happy you had a sharp doctor who made the correct diagnosis. Had something called a Complex regional pain syndrome a few years ago myself, and fortunately my doctor knew about it and saved my arm, so I definitely empathize with you.

Nice image....what did you take it with?

Have a safe trip home and enjoy your photography while you are recuperating. And, since you can't get around, why not send me your Alpa/Leaf back to test?

Bon Voyage

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice indeed !
    M 21/2.8 ASPH Elmarit ... ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The image above was made with a 28 Elmarit on the M8 and me leaning out of the window left LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No the 28 I have is not an aspherical...

this one was the view right shot with the 70-180 R.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your leg - hope that recovers well for you and that your next trip is trouble free.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be well Peter. Have a safe trip home. Damned stuff always seems to happen when least convenient ... not that illness is ever "convenient".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your leg - hope that recovers well for you and that your next trip is trouble free.
    Peter

All the best for a quick and total recovery.

Whatever you do, don't bleed on all that newly acquired Leica R gear.

Best

Woody

workingcamera

Bloody eck Peter!

Nice shots but…

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Let me add my wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Kind of puts things in perspective when something like this happens. Sure glad your doctor got the diagnosis right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone for your good wishes - I am breathing a sigh of relief now after getting through the 24 hour flight back from Europe scenario...(just) LOL

please ignore any strange posts I might make over the next few weeks - my two companions are pain and medication ....

good thing is I havent had a cigarette this calendar year may be worth the whole experience if it ends up I have dropped that 20 year habit.

now back to photos and gear talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter glad you made it home safe and sound. Get well and if we see a strange post than we will just think of it as the Meds working. LOL

Good on you on the smoking issue, I'm failing badly and need to get back on my meds. for that one myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy - I must say that the enforced hospital stay and the mtallic taste in my mouth from the GA and drugs...has altered my taste buds..smoke now tinks and makes me feel quite nauseous...so maybe that would be serious aversion therapy??

now back at work and the market are continuing to melt down..thanks to global concerns about your stoopid investment bank lending activities..grief everywhere..must take som retail therapy and buy a lens ..what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    now back at work and the market are continuing to melt down..thanks to global concerns about your stoopid investment bank lending activities..grief everywhere..
    Glad you're back at work!

On the grief side, maybe just short the dollar and go long on Gold for six more months until the replacement regime has taken shape.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack the US dollar is oversold - espscially against the Euro...as for Gold..it always goes up slower than it goes down...