Site Sponsors

Thread: Flickr question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Flickr question

I had a question about Flickr and Moderators if this is the wrong place to ask please direct me to the right place

Recently, a friend was able to download a picture of mine off of Flickr and I was wondering if there was a way to secure my pics on Flickr from anyone randomly doing this.

I tried looking around on Flickr settings but I really couldn't figure out how.
    Can someone please tell me if i'm missing something or is there a way to ensure that your pics aren't taken from Flickr without permission?

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flickr question

Hmmm ... not sure. A few years back, there was a way to get around the flickr protection, but, if I recall correctly, the downloaded photo wasn't at high quality. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what other say ...

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that can be viewed can be downloaded. After all, viewing is downloading.

There are no protection schemes that can't be circumvented by somebody who knows basic computers.

One common protection method involves putting a transparent overlay on top of the image, so if you right-click on the image you download the overlay. Trivially simple to get around it.

If it's displayed on a computer screen, it can be stored on the computer hard drive.

The only possible protection is to just upload lousy quality images, like at 72dpi or 96dpi resolution.

- Leigh

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Make the photo for "friends" or "family" only - and ensure that whomever you want to have access is one and/or the other.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    I had a question about Flickr and Moderators if this is the wrong place to ask please direct me to the right place

Recently, a friend was able to download a picture of mine off of Flickr and I was wondering if there was a way to secure my pics on Flickr from anyone randomly doing this.

I tried looking around on Flickr settings but I really couldn't figure out how.
    Can someone please tell me if i'm missing something or is there a way to ensure that your pics aren't taken from Flickr without permission?

Thank you in advance!
    Account settings, Privacy & Permissions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all. I changed the Privacy Settings.
    Lets hope that helps!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I changed the Privacy Settings.
    Lets hope that helps!
    Your account now reports that the owner has disabled downloading of the pictures.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Basically don't upload an image to flickr that is larger than you want people to access. I limit all files I upload to 1280 px longest edge. For images that I want the full size stored online (so I can grant selective access to clients etc.) I use zenfolio. With zenfolio the larger images are restricted and it renders a small image that people can access.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to ban all people from downloading a picture, but can set it so only your friends can download the largest size.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    You don't need to ban all people from downloading a picture, but can set it so only your friends can download the largest size.

Steve
    But why not ban everyone from downloading a pic? It's safer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you feel comfortable with is fine.

What does "safe" mean anyway? Do you depend upon your photos for your living? Do you feel that you are posting work that has the potential to pay for your retirement, or that mansion in the Barbados you have been eyeing? Or do you feel that your work should simply remain yours in the happy event that it attracts some recognition?

What I post to flickr is always a digital image sized for web display, with watermark, properly embedded IPTC annotation, and copyright metadata. I don't mind people downloading a copy for their personal use on their desktop or in an album of their favorites. If they want a print, I ask that they contact me ... I'll make a high quality print at a modest price. If they want to use a photo, I ask they contact me for terms and price.

I'm sure there are some thieves out there but I don't sweat it much. Enough folks have dealt with me honestly that I am happy with how I've set up my flickr stuff.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Whatever you feel comfortable with is fine.

What does "safe" mean anyway? Do you depend upon your photos for your living? Do you feel that you are posting work that has the potential to pay for your retirement, or that mansion in the Barbados you have been eyeing? Or do you feel that your work should simply remain yours in the happy event that it attracts some recognition?

What I post to flickr is always a digital image sized for web display, with watermark, properly embedded IPTC annotation, and copyright metadata. I don't mind people downloading a copy for their personal use on their desktop or in an album of their favorites. If they want a print, I ask that they contact me ... I'll make a high quality print at a modest price. If they want to use a photo, I ask they contact me for terms and price.

I'm sure there are some thieves out there but I don't sweat it much. Enough folks have dealt with me honestly that I am happy with how I've set up my flickr stuff.

G
    Godfrey I don't rely on my photos to make a living at all!In fact i have never sold a pic or even have any one show any interest in one! I don't think they're that good anyway! Mansion in Barbados...I wish! Lol
    Photography is a hobby for me and I enjoy it.

I've just been reading about how pics get downloaded from Flickr and then can be used anywhere i guess...I mean there are soo many people on Flickr so I thought it might be safer to disable that.

How do you watermark your pictures? Can i do that using Aperture? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I seriously don't know how.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey I don't rely on my photos to make a living at all!In fact i have never sold a pic or even have any one show any interest in one! I don't think they're that good anyway! Mansion in Barbados...I wish! Lol
    Photography is a hobby for me and I enjoy it.

I've just been reading about how pics get downloaded from Flickr and then can be used anywhere i guess...I mean there are soo many people on Flickr so I thought it might be safer to disable that.

How do you watermark your pictures? Can i do that using Aperture? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I seriously don't know how.
    I would relax, then. You're not making photos for a living, post what you like in sizes up to 1200 pixels on the long edge, fill in the copyright IPTC data, put an unobtrusive watermark on, and don't sweat it.

I use Lightroom, which includes very capable watermarking capability built into it starting at version 3 and linked to the IPTC metadata annotation that you enter for your photos.

I haven't used Aperture for a while ... but ApertureExpert discusses this in
    Watermarks in Aperture 3

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Moonshine: I played about a bit on flickr today, as a way to rectifying your situation with any already uploaded photos. If you go to one of your flickr photos, click on actions (in the upper left) and choose "edit photo in Aviary." Then, resize the photo. That will make your photo be smaller and (I think) have a less quality. Of course, in the future, you can just upload smaller, lower quality versions of your photos.
    Last edited by ramosa; 16th February 2013 at 08:53.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Embrace the idea of sharing and use a Creative Commons license! My work gets used, with attribution, all over the place and it's all good and it drives potential paid work to me, too.
    My Blog | Music | flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Embrace the idea of sharing and use a Creative Commons license! My work gets used, with attribution, all over the place and it's all good and it drives potential paid work to me, too.
    It's a darn good notion, Maggie O. I've been thinking of switching my stuff to a CC license for a while, should get on it and do it.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How do you get a Creative Commons license ?
    Thanks everyone for the help

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you get a Creative Commons license ?
    Thanks everyone for the help
    Learn about Creative Commons ...
    Creative Commons

You read and understand what the different CC license models are, choose which license to use and offer with your photos, and then set Flickr to display your photographs with the creative commons license options.

G

Post Thanks / Like

In short, everything that is on the net can be downloaded. There are browser plugins that will allow to download any resolution of a picture that is on Flickr despite the download settings provided it is visible in public. So in general if one really does not want to give anybody the chance not to download a picture, it shouldn't be uploaded or be seen in public at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if you can't "download" a photo, if you really want it, you can just do a screenshot of it.

That's why I switched all of my photos to CC. (Flickr has an option to set the license to CC in its settings, too)
    My Blog | Music | flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    That's why I switched all of my photos to CC.
    What is CC?

Leigh

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Leigh:
    Look up-thread ... CC => Creative Commons license. :-)

'Scuse me. Just thought, "hey, this thread doesn't have any photos in it!" ... ;-)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

But why not ban everyone from downloading a pic? It's safer.
    It is still covered by copyright, so nothing can be done with it commercially unless you automatically assume all people are dishonest.

But Flickr is used by the majority of members in a different way, and they don't assume their pictures have a great financial worth. They are just sharing their hobbies, perhaps classic cars, where somebody may be restoring one and needs some detail pictures, so they trawl Flickr, find somebody with a similar interest, and save a few to help with the project. It is treated more as a community by the majority. The best bet is not to put anything on that can be printed off or distributed at industry required sizes or resolutions. You can put signatures on, but I think that in most cases this ruins a good picture, or you can put watermarks on, but this can look overly precious unless the image is utterly stunning and would obviously be stolen.

But pretty well all the stories about images being stolen from the web are urban myths, or it is the same story that the same few people keep banging on about all the time.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. Most Flickr users are honest people, many naively using a snapshot for their own entertainment.

Respectable business folks also browse Flickr looking for photos that suit their uses ... I receive several requests for licensed use every quarter. They don't always pan out to a sale, but some do.

G