The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well is the M Monochrom selling?

animefx

Any word on how well the M Monochrom is selling? From the Leica dealers I've contacted in the US they seem to still have quite a big waiting list. I have a feeling this camera is doing pretty well for them.

segedi

I've been on a wait list since Oct 27th here in Canada... I think it is selling well enough, but they are certainly taking their time getting them made. I was one of the naysayers when the Monochrom rumours came out, never imagining that they would build it. Glad they did and the files - from what I've seen - are amazing.

Maybe they were not aggressive enough in their forecast or maybe they want the carrot to dangle for a while, but I might get a new M before the Monochrom even shows up. And if happy, might cancel the Monochrom order...

algrove

I had two and sold one of them in a day. They are not easy to find. I was at Photokina with mine in September 2012 and even the Leica employees then said they had not seen one in a consumer's hand before mine.

John_McMaster

Unless they had a largish supply at launch (I got mine in August) that would mean that there are only about 1500 in existence?

john

monza

They are over 700 backordered as of last week according to my sources.

As luck would have it....I have a surprise shipment, a new one is available...drop me a PM.

algrove

So 700 units means about 14 weeks of backorders or slightly more than 3 months. That actually sounds better.

StephenPatterson

I've been in four different Leica stores in China recently and all had the Monochrom in stock. It doesn't seem to be as in demand here as in other parts of the world. A friend of mine in Hong Kong bought one from a dealer at a discounted price.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been in four different Leica stores in China recently and all had the Monochrom in stock. It doesn't seem to be as in demand here as in other parts of the world. A friend of mine in Hong Kong bought one from a dealer at a discounted price.
It seems like Leica is giving priority to the Asian markets, probably because they see a great future potential here. In Bangkok, many products that are considered "impossible" to find, can be bought off the shelf in Bangkok.

StephenPatterson

Just to be clear the stores I was referring to were all Leica "factory" stores. The grey market dealers in Hong Kong always have the newest and latest, at a substantial premium, purchased from the far corners of the globe.

Most Chinese and asian Leica users I have talked with a much more excited about the M240 than the Monochrom, but this is just my own observation.

V

Vivek

All the EU shops (including the local boutique) i contacted do not have one to sell. If am not keen on getting one i would not go near any of them. This is the only digital M that has no color issues. :)

D&A

This is the only digital M that has no color issues. :)
Hmm, are you certain it doesn't after the additon of the "color seperation filters? (in an additive fashion)...LOL! So as we see, the monochrom can be just as much a color camera, as the M9 is a B&W one :)....with possibly some of the associated isssues we've all come to love :)

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

Hmm, are you certain it doesn't after the additon of the "color seperation filters? (in an additive fashion)...LOL!
I am certain. Can't be lugging a filter wheel and anchor the subjects to a granite boulder all the time. ;)

jubbaa

I agree , I see them for sale all the time at the Camera market here in Shanghai. I don't think there was much of a premium on them either.

James.

Just to be clear the stores I was referring to were all Leica "factory" stores. The grey market dealers in Hong Kong always have the newest and latest, at a substantial premium, purchased from the far corners of the globe.

Most Chinese and asian Leica users I have talked with a much more excited about the M240 than the Monochrom, but this is just my own observation.

mmbma

It's interesting to see how the Mono sells and resells after the M240 comes out. All the reviews indicate that the new M has B&W capabilities similar to that of the Mono. Perhaps other than true purists it's hard to justify a Mono purchase going forward... but again, it's designed for purists.

I'm interested to hear what other Mono owners are thinking. Would you trade yours in for the new M? If many of us think that way it will create a glut and lower the resell value. I think Leica will decrease the production for Mono even further after the new M comes out, it'll be come a truly unique cult item, like the Phase Archromatic.

iiiNelson

It's interesting to see how the Mono sells and resells after the M240 comes out. All the reviews indicate that the new M has B&W capabilities similar to that of the Mono. Perhaps other than true purists it's hard to justify a Mono purchase going forward... but again, it's designed for purists.

I'm interested to hear what other Mono owners are thinking. Would you trade yours in for the new M? If many of us think that way it will create a glut and lower the resell value. I think Leica will decrease the production for Mono even further after the new M comes out, it'll be come a truly unique cult item, like the Phase Archromatic.
I'd imagine that there are those who will sell but I think the hardcore won't... Unless they come out with a M240 based version (as long as the base ISO isn't 400.)