Site Sponsors

Thread: How well is the M Monochrom selling?

Post Thanks / Like

How well is the M Monochrom selling?

Any word on how well the M Monochrom is selling? From the Leica dealers I've contacted in the US they seem to still have quite a big waiting list. I have a feeling this camera is doing pretty well for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How well is the M Monochrom selling?

I've been on a wait list since Oct 27th here in Canada... I think it is selling well enough, but they are certainly taking their time getting them made. I was one of the naysayers when the Monochrom rumours came out, never imagining that they would build it. Glad they did and the files - from what I've seen - are amazing.

Maybe they were not aggressive enough in their forecast or maybe they want the carrot to dangle for a while, but I might get a new M before the Monochrom even shows up. And if happy, might cancel the Monochrom order...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had two and sold one of them in a day. They are not easy to find. I was at Photokina with mine in September 2012 and even the Leica employees then said they had not seen one in a consumer's hand before mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

About 40-50 a week made and sold, I understand.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they had a largish supply at launch (I got mine in August) that would mean that there are only about 1500 in existence?

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro_NZ View Post
    Unless they had a largish supply at launch (I got mine in August) that would mean that there are only about 1500 in existence?

john
    Never thought about it that way and in those small numbers. Are we lucky or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Took me 6 months to get mine. Got mine in late Nov. Love it and feel very lucky to have it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

They are over 700 backordered as of last week according to my sources.

As luck would have it....I have a surprise shipment, a new one is available...drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So 700 units means about 14 weeks of backorders or slightly more than 3 months. That actually sounds better.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The one that arrived today was ordered last May.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in four different Leica stores in China recently and all had the Monochrom in stock. It doesn't seem to be as in demand here as in other parts of the world. A friend of mine in Hong Kong bought one from a dealer at a discounted price.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    I've been in four different Leica stores in China recently and all had the Monochrom in stock. It doesn't seem to be as in demand here as in other parts of the world. A friend of mine in Hong Kong bought one from a dealer at a discounted price.
    It seems like Leica is giving priority to the Asian markets, probably because they see a great future potential here. In Bangkok, many products that are considered "impossible" to find, can be bought off the shelf in Bangkok.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear the stores I was referring to were all Leica "factory" stores. The grey market dealers in Hong Kong always have the newest and latest, at a substantial premium, purchased from the far corners of the globe.

Most Chinese and asian Leica users I have talked with a much more excited about the M240 than the Monochrom, but this is just my own observation.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the EU shops (including the local boutique) i contacted do not have one to sell. If am not keen on getting one i would not go near any of them. This is the only digital M that has no color issues.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    This is the only digital M that has no color issues.
    Hmm, are you certain it doesn't after the additon of the "color seperation filters? (in an additive fashion)...LOL! So as we see, the monochrom can be just as much a color camera, as the M9 is a B&W one ....with possibly some of the associated isssues we've all come to love

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hmm, are you certain it doesn't after the additon of the "color seperation filters? (in an additive fashion)...LOL!
    I am certain. Can't be lugging a filter wheel and anchor the subjects to a granite boulder all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

great to see they are selling all they can make!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree , I see them for sale all the time at the Camera market here in Shanghai. I don't think there was much of a premium on them either.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Just to be clear the stores I was referring to were all Leica "factory" stores. The grey market dealers in Hong Kong always have the newest and latest, at a substantial premium, purchased from the far corners of the globe.

Most Chinese and asian Leica users I have talked with a much more excited about the M240 than the Monochrom, but this is just my own observation.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to see how the Mono sells and resells after the M240 comes out. All the reviews indicate that the new M has B&W capabilities similar to that of the Mono. Perhaps other than true purists it's hard to justify a Mono purchase going forward... but again, it's designed for purists.

I'm interested to hear what other Mono owners are thinking. Would you trade yours in for the new M? If many of us think that way it will create a glut and lower the resell value. I think Leica will decrease the production for Mono even further after the new M comes out, it'll be come a truly unique cult item, like the Phase Archromatic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    It's interesting to see how the Mono sells and resells after the M240 comes out. All the reviews indicate that the new M has B&W capabilities similar to that of the Mono. Perhaps other than true purists it's hard to justify a Mono purchase going forward... but again, it's designed for purists.

I'm interested to hear what other Mono owners are thinking. Would you trade yours in for the new M? If many of us think that way it will create a glut and lower the resell value. I think Leica will decrease the production for Mono even further after the new M comes out, it'll be come a truly unique cult item, like the Phase Archromatic.
    I'd imagine that there are those who will sell but I think the hardcore won't... Unless they come out with a M240 based version (as long as the base ISO isn't 400.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post

I seriously doubt I will ever trade my Monochrom for the new M, may be that will be the case for the my M9-P, I will see.
    The simple fact that the Monochrom file does not have to go through the demosaicing and filtering algorithms gives to it a rendering that in my view is subjectively superior and certainly unique.
    I was reluctant before, because I thought that missing the RGB information was going to be a serious limitation in the post processing, but I found afterwards that this is really not the case.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that's the case too! need to compare it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

With Ming's positive review of the M 240 especially with the comment that B&W files are nearly on the M Monochrom level, it will be interesting to see if demand for the Monochrom tapers off some especially since the M240 is less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

The Monochrom is and always will be a niche product. For the vast majority of people, it makes more sense to buy a color camera and convert. That was and won't change now. We all knew that the M240 would bring better performance but I was actually pleasantly surprised that for pure B&W shooting the Monochrom still will be king. ISO performance goes up to 10000 in normal mode vs. 6400 as a "push" option in the M240. That's a big difference.

The biggest thing however is that there is a fundamental difference in experience using a B&W camera. I'd guess that it's hard to understand but shooting with a color camera in B&W mode you always have that crutch to fall back on. Shooting with a Monochrom camera is really one for "purists" but it's almost an emotional response that one gets with it. I'd recommend someone rents one really before dropping huge money on it.

The M240 reviews are very favorable, but the Monochrom still holds some considerable advantages in some areas over it. There are trade offs for sure, but such is life. I wouldn't trade in my Monochrom until the next "Monochrom" is released!