Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 106

Thread: New M Delayed Until May

  1. #51
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The clock began at Photokina by their own choice.
    Hi Robert. I think the thing about Photokina was that they had already committed to take the big hall for the exhibition. Seemed logical to announce the camera. I'm not sure it's done any harm.

    It's also worth noting that a short time ago people were saying that the 50 cron was delayed for a year. A month later it was shipping.

    Nobody's told me that it's been delayed until May. Last I heard it was being delayed for a week (but I realise I know nothing :-)

    All the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Indeed. First, let's see if this report is accurate. Nothing against DN and his blog, but it would be nice to get some kind of independent verification. I intend to do so Monday...although it may not result in any info of value.

    Been in the position before of trying to get a product developed prior to a show...unfortunately engineering never seemed to cooperate with the calendar.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    It all started because Leica Rumors said B&H had delayed their shipping date until 30 April.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Well, the 50AA has been delayed, the Zeiss 55/1.4 has been delayed, there is no mention of the wide aperture ZM lenses promised to be released in 2013. Plenty of products from all manufacturers are delayed. I don't see anyone going nuts except over the Leica M. It must really be very successful
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  5. #55
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Indeed. First, let's see if this report is accurate. Nothing against DN and his blog, but it would be nice to get some kind of independent verification. I intend to do so Monday...although it may not result in any info of value...
    No worries. Let me know what you find out and I'll update the story.

  6. #56
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    For what it's worth:

    'Roger [Horn] sent a memo last week stating that the M camera will be delivered "early in 2013". This is the only info I have and any information on the Internet is just speculation.

    Naturally we are all anxious to get the M camera and I will update you on any official announcements as soon as I get them. Thanks for your interest in getting the real info.'

  7. #57
    Member erick.boileau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Germany / France
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    If I ask to my dealer here in Europe he says March
    Leica M

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Has all this fuss been caused by B&H moving the "expected availability" to April? If so, it may be that B&H has been told by Leica the number of M's they will be receiving in the first two months, and from their waiting list, know that it will be at least April before they can expect to deliver new orders.

    Greg

  9. #59
    dalfrednix
    Guest

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Bad business is just that, bad business. From the time I ordered my H4D60 until it was delivered nine months passed. Nothing from Hasselblad, no apologies, no word of any kind. My dealer, Hassy reps, no one could tell me anything until the week I got the camera. New cameras are all alike; vaporware. It is understandable that Hasselblad announced vaporware. They were trying to stall off the rush to Phase One with the early announcement of the H3DII60/H4D60. Leica has no excuse since they are the only game in town. I know, I know there are alternatives, but Leicafiles are loyal to the point they give a pass to the company when they falter. Looks now like I'll be waiting the same amount of time (nine months) for the new M. At least Leica did not come up with something as goofy as the Lunar. And the H4D60 came without issues or bugs. It worked flawlessly from day one.

    Greg
    Boy, do I, as a business owner agree with you. Leica needs competition and if such existed there would be fewer delays of shorter duration. I don't understand the apologetic attitude of the majority of Leica owners. I don't have a Leica camera, but I'm first on a preorder list for the new M. These delays erode my confidence that I will recieve a quality product; after all I will be spending $7000!!

  10. #60
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Is this the first camera or lens of any brand being delayed?

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    What is all the panic about? Pre order lists????...

    Funny!

    I would never buy a camera on pre-order list... I did it long time ago with Canon 1Ds, and never again. It is just silly. Manufacturers have no obligation to be "on the clock" for any delivery of new product. They have no binding contract with all future buyers who willingly put them selfs (and payed in advance to dealers) on the "lists". All those dealer's list mean $h*t...
    If the potential buyers are not happy with "estimated" delivery dates, they can take their bussines somewhere else. They are not forced to buy expected product. Period. This panic and silly comments from people who have "sleepless nights" because their "new toy" is not shipping yet: grow up. It is just a camera! Not a life saving kidney...

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    I don't recall anyone talking about contracts. I don't see any panic here. I do see a lot of silly statements, such as about kidneys.

    However it must be said, again, that product delays don't do anything to help the goodwill of the brand. And Leica has had their share of self-inflicted wounds in the relatively recent past. It just doesn't engender confidence.

    Hopefully for Leica this is simply an unfounded rumor, and much ado about nothing.

  13. #63
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    There seems to be three groups on this thread . Those that are disturbed or at least concerned about the rumored delay . Those that believe that Leica is just being cautious and thorough ..getting it right is important . And maybe a third who could care less ..they are happy with their current equipment ,never planned or wanted to be anywhere on any wait list . Thus they aren t really affected and think its OK to tell everyone else they are "morons".

    It would be great if those that really aren t affected ,could care less ....go find something else to do with your time . Really do you think its OK to degrade others points of view to some how feel superior . Its really not OK and its become a pattern on this thread .

    For those that actually have a some stake in the rumored delay ... I would ask ..please state the basis for your perspective . Did you buy a new M8 and live thru the introduction. Have you sent cameras to Solms for repair . If you think Leica will get it ....why?

    I ve stated my experience and supported my views with evidence both from Leica and really from any Product Company . I watch the market everyday and I can assure you that product delays especially on core products like the M series ..would not be well received . They are generally indicative of problems identified late in the product introduction cycle . The new M represents a huge change from the digital technology introduced with the M8/M9 and even the S2 .

    So what ? Well its seems that the smart money is moving to the sidelines and taking a wait and see approach . I base that on a dozen emails to current owners of the m9 and S2 ....all who are on wait lists .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Member Seascape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Just a general response about manufacturing, and hi tech manufacturing in particular.
    I have worked in the manufacturing of hi tech products (primarily aerospace) for many years. There is a very long cycle from design through proof of principle testing, to prototype manufacture and reliability qualification testing, before you get to production hardware assembly. But once you get to a stage where we believe Leica is now (software and firmware finalization as a result of beta testing) - late in the process as Roger suggests, and you have a problem it is a BIG problem.

    That is where tough decisions have to be made.

    Do you make a quick fix for the first production units and cut in a design change in later production batches?

    Is the problem severe enough that a redesign/remanufacture of a critical component is required?

    Do you live with the problem for now and do a model change later?

    All these decisions have a huge impact on delivery and obviously revenues, and as a result are very tough decisions.

    I have no idea what Leica's situation is, however Roger's point about having a problem this late in the manufacturing cycle is important to understand.

    Let's hope that there isn't a design/hardware problem.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    I am leaving my name high on a list. Whenever it ships I will enjoy my R lenses since right now my Pelican cases holding my R's are being dusted off once a week.

    Roger, there will always be opinions given here-some count and most don't. Is there actually a delay? Is the delay real? If yes, is the delay bad?

    Frankly if I am very high on a list and if I receive an M in April I will feel there was no delay.

    I would say Yes-there is a delay, if we get beyond April and still no cameras are being delivered because after that month to me it is no longer early 2013.

    I would also say Yes-the delay is real, if we are in the month of May and still no deliveries of the new camera have occurred, it will indicate to me there are still some serious lingering issues yet to be resolved otherwise they would be shipping. Perhaps some beta testers have found some very serious issues. Too red? Video? Frankly, I could care less about video-so I say today and without trying it. My new 5D3 has video, but I have not even thought about using it.

    Actually I bought the 5D3 in order to use my R lenses, but so far I cannot get the dandelion chip to work for me since with my failing eyesight I need focus confirmation on that camera.

    One final point that some have pooh-hoo'd. Leica's FY ends 31 March. Whatever product they ship by that date creates sales and accounts receivable-as good as gold to any investor who wants to see results sales results instead of excess inventory in the event they would want to divest at any future date.

  16. #66
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Reminds me of a great song - Que Sera, Sera.

    Thankfully, and unlike milk - there's no expiration date on older, fine gear.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    There seems to be three groups on this thread . Those that are disturbed or at least concerned about the rumored delay . Those that believe that Leica is just being cautious and thorough ..getting it right is important . And maybe a third who could care less ..they are happy with their current equipment ,never planned or wanted to be anywhere on any wait list . Thus they aren t really affected and think its OK to tell everyone else they are "morons".
    Perhaps I'm in a 4th group (post #9)...I'm not surprised by the delay, expect even more time to sort out inevitable bugs, and I'm not getting worked up about any of it, content to use my M8.2s in the meantime.

    I held on to my film Ms even after the M8 introduction, waiting to see how things transpired. Only after the M8.2 release, and even then waiting to make sure things were well sorted, did I make the transition to a digital M.

    Then, after release of the M9, I again waited for issues to emerge, and they did. But I was again in no rush, and after waiting through some fixes and firmware updates, I tested the camera against my M8.2 based on my specific needs and preferences. For many reasons, irrespective of price, I decided that the M8.2 was a better fit.

    Now I'm intrigued by the M, especially the potentially better weather sealing, the incorporation of 2m frame lines, the supposedly quieter shutter re-cock, faster Maestro processing and longer battery life, and the potential to use longer lenses. But IQ is of course unknown, and the essentially all new camera will have bugs IMO, no matter how long the current delay. After sufficient time, I'll give it a test; if it passes, great; if not, I'll keep on trucking.

    Jeff
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #68
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    No problem at all with different opinions . I think its great to shape perspective based on different ways of looking at things .

    Would prefer the opinions were focused on the topic ...not the credibility of the person posting .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Absolutely. My opinion only works for me; I share it only as information, without any intent to judge or influence others. 'Whatever works' is my philosophy, and choices are good.

    Jeff

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    This morning B&H changed their message on the new Leica M camera. It now reads "New item, Available for pre-order". Could it be that they created this whole tempest in a teapot?

    It may be that the new camera will actually begin shipping within a couple of weeks.

    Greg

  21. #71
    dalfrednix
    Guest

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I am leaving my name high on a list. Whenever it ships I will enjoy my R lenses since right now my Pelican cases holding my R's are being dusted off once a week.

    Roger, there will always be opinions given here-some count and most don't. Is there actually a delay? Is the delay real? If yes, is the delay bad?

    Frankly if I am very high on a list and if I receive an M in April I will feel there was no delay.

    I would say Yes-there is a delay, if we get beyond April and still no cameras are being delivered because after that month to me it is no longer early 2013.

    I would also say Yes-the delay is real, if we are in the month of May and still no deliveries of the new camera have occurred, it will indicate to me there are still some serious lingering issues yet to be resolved otherwise they would be shipping. Perhaps some beta testers have found some very serious issues. Too red? Video? Frankly, I could care less about video-so I say today and without trying it. My new 5D3 has video, but I have not even thought about using it.

    Actually I bought the 5D3 in order to use my R lenses, but so far I cannot get the dandelion chip to work for me since with my failing eyesight I need focus confirmation on that camera.

    One final point that some have pooh-hoo'd. Leica's FY ends 31 March. Whatever product they ship by that date creates sales and accounts receivable-as good as gold to any investor who wants to see results sales results instead of excess inventory in the event they would want to divest at any future date.
    Ihave wanted a Leica rangefinder for several years and finally decided on the new M last fall; I'm first on the list at a small Leica store in NY, but if the delay is extended to say, June 1, I will REMOVE my name from the list and move on to a different camera. I currently have a Nex camera with Leica lens.

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scottish empty lands
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    NZ importer said that it was delayed to late March

    john

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro_NZ View Post
    NZ importer said that it was delayed to late March

    john
    John-I do not consider late March a delay as it is still early 2013 in my mind.

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    To put all this in perspective, at typical production throughput, even if it technically starts shipping in say, late February, many people aren't going to see them til end of summer or even later.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scottish empty lands
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    John-I do not consider late March a delay as it is still early 2013 in my mind.
    That is how they phrased it ;-)

    john

  26. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    I would speculate that this is just a software that needs to be completed and the cameras are already actually being made. So when they release, they will have larger stock of pre-made cameras to satisfy larger part of the preorders at once and the delay, if any, will impact only people on the very top of the waiting lists.

  27. #77
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by MirekE View Post
    I would speculate that this is just a software that needs to be completed and the cameras are already actually being made. So when they release, they will have larger stock of pre-made cameras to satisfy larger part of the preorders at once and the delay, if any, will impact only people on the very top of the waiting lists.
    Dream on...

    If you really believe that Leica production is churning away, building thousands upon thousands of M240s before a final engineering release, then I have a bridge to sell you here in Cambodia. If for no other reason than cash flow there is no way Leica management would allow purchasing and production to build a huge stockpile of semi-finished goods inventory (with the possibility that more Engineering Change Orders might come down the pipe) months ahead of a final engineering release.
    Last edited by StephenPatterson; 20th February 2013 at 02:28.

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Dream on...

    If you really believe that Leica production is churning away, building thousands upon thousands of M240s before a final engineering release, then I have a bridge to sell you here in Cambodia. If for no other reason than cash flow there is no way Leica management would allow purchasing and production to build a huge stockpile of semi-finished goods inventory (with the possibility that more Engineering Change Orders might come down the pipe) months ahead of a final engineering release.
    HI Stephen
    If Mirek is right, then it wouldn't be an engineering release, but a firmware release.
    Different thing I'd say

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Stephen
    If Mirek is right, then it wouldn't be an engineering release, but a firmware release.
    Different thing I'd say
    Agreed. Leica has allowed some beta images to be published, and perhaps they are tweaking firmware based on some of the feed-back?

    Also, I wonder if the Leica captive stores and boutiques will get first production runs, with a mere trickle going to other re-sellers?

    Marc

  30. #80
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    ...I have a bridge to sell you here in Cambodia....
    What kind of bridge are we talking about here? Foot bridge, or? Can I rename it after myself?

  31. #81
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Stephen
    If Mirek is right, then it wouldn't be an engineering release, but a firmware release.
    Different thing I'd say
    Hardware or software it's still a release from engineering to purchasing and production. Some aggressive companies jump the gun and begin large scale purchase of components and even production prior to the final sign off from the engineering department, but it's a risk/reward decision that would require full support of senior management.

    I realize that Leica is trying to be more like Apple, but to me this sounds a little too unorthodox for our friends in Solms.

  32. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Somewhere I read a thread about the possibility of overheating during video usage. If that is the case, then it's more than "just" software.

    Perhaps, Jono won't tell us he had video problems, but he did mention that he took plenty of video of the inside of his bag. Maybe that's what kept him warm while skiing-video overheating!

    In the meantime I am contemplating getting an RX-1 for street shooting. Why not? USD3k versus an equivalent 10k Leica kit. CL size, FF, 24MP, AF-the M will not have that, f2.0 Zeiss lens with excellent looking MTF (not that I study MTF charts), etc. OK it does not have interchangeable lenses, but if I use another camera for most other shooting and use a Leica for 35mm street photography why not save the USD7k? Then I can get the new 200-400 Canon lens!

    Any thoughts?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Member StephenPatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hubei, China
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post

    In the meantime I am contemplating getting an RX-1 for street shooting. Why not? USD3k versus an equivalent 10k Leica kit. CL size, FF, 24MP, AF-the M will not have that, f2.0 Zeiss lens with excellent looking MTF (not that I study MTF charts), etc. OK it does not have interchangeable lenses, but if I use another camera for most other shooting and use a Leica for 35mm street photography why not save the USD7k? Then I can get the new 200-400 Canon lens!

    Any thoughts?
    Yeah, apples and pears. You know you will get the new M (as will I), but that doesn't mean you can't get the RX1 and a ton of other stuff as well.

  34. #84
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Somewhere I read a thread about the possibility of overheating during video usage. If that is the case, then it's more than "just" software.

    Perhaps, Jono won't tell us he had video problems, but he did mention that he took plenty of video of the inside of his bag. Maybe that's what kept him warm while skiing-video overheating!

    In the meantime I am contemplating getting an RX-1 for street shooting. Why not? USD3k versus an equivalent 10k Leica kit. CL size, FF, 24MP, AF-the M will not have that, f2.0 Zeiss lens with excellent looking MTF (not that I study MTF charts), etc. OK it does not have interchangeable lenses, but if I use another camera for most other shooting and use a Leica for 35mm street photography why not save the USD7k? Then I can get the new 200-400 Canon lens!

    Any thoughts?
    On the Rx 1 ..the most significant factor is the lack of a built in VF . Lets assume that you are familiar with and enjoy the use of a RF camera ...if so you have the choice of a add on OVF (zeiss 35mm FOV) or a EVF that fits in the hot shoe .

    One of the Magnum photographers posted on his blog that he loved the camera ..except it was hard to frame and focus (in comparison to his Leica) .

    If your photography is relaxed and slow paced (like travel can be ) you can get used to the limitation .

    My POV is either spend more on a used M and a 35/2 zeiss or spend less and get the new Fuji X100s .

    No denying the camera size,build and IQ is pretty fantastic .
    Last edited by glenerrolrd; 20th February 2013 at 11:04.
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPatterson View Post
    Dream on...

    If you really believe that Leica production is churning away, building thousands upon thousands of M240s before a final engineering release, then I have a bridge to sell you here in Cambodia. If for no other reason than cash flow there is no way Leica management would allow purchasing and production to build a huge stockpile of semi-finished goods inventory (with the possibility that more Engineering Change Orders might come down the pipe) months ahead of a final engineering release.
    All I said is a pure speculation. I have no insight into Leica's manufacturing and decision making process. The information, that the cameras have been manufactured for several months now comes from another Leica-related forum.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    The delay is more than ok, so hopefully the final product will be really ready and great - I really hope so for Leica!

    For me I have decided to wait at least another year and see how the M does in practical long term use, before I put my money in again - sorry but too much burned with the M8 some years ago.

    Unfortunately time runs and so we will see other GREAT products from other vendors meanwhile and as already stated the Leica advantage (M advantage) keeps shrinking even more
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    On the Rx 1 ..the most significant factor is the lack of a built in VF . Lets assume that you are familiar with and enjoy the use of a RF camera ...if so you have the choice of a add on OVF (zeiss 35mm FOV) or a EVF that fits in the hot shoe .

    One of the Magnum photographers posted on his blog that he loved the camera ..except it was hard to frame and focus (in comparison to his Leica) .

    If your photography is relaxed and slow paced (like travel can be ) you can get used to the limitation .

    My POV is either spend more on a used M and a 35/2 zeiss or spend less and get the new Fuji X100s .

    No denying the camera size,build and IQ is pretty fantastic .
    Yeah, I used NEX cameras for quite a while, and an X100 for months, and, while both are capable and great little cameras, it doesn't quite compare to manual focusing with an OVF, IMO.

    The X100's OVF was pretty cool, but the main issue for me was that, unlike a rangefinder/SLR OVF or any mirrorless EVF, there is no visual confirmation as to whether you've focused on your intended target, so you'll occasionally find that you've focused on something behind your subject when the camera tells you that focus is locked, and the parallax doesn't help the situation. Of course, you can just use the EVF of the X100, but that kind of defeated the purpose, for me.

    If the RX1 had a built-in EVF and 50mm lens, it would have been more tempting to me, but after shooting NEX cameras for years, which operate similarly to the RX1, I'd still prefer M cameras.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    So what I understand from what I am from the above posts (other than pears) is that if the RX-1 had an EVF (which is coming-maybe even before the M is released) or an OVF (which is currently offered) then it might be a better option for street/candid/environmental portraiture use.

    Just to confirm a face to face conversation with a Leica Boutique store today, they were told last week that the M will not come out before 30 April. This seems to jive with the B&H website from last week now changed for some reason. Pressure from the manufacturer?

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    I have the RX1 with an EVF...great combo for street, if you like the 35 mm field of view. It focuses sufficiently fast, and is unobtrustive. That being said, I find the M system with OVF to be perfect for street, and I don't think that any OVF on the M will improve the speed by which I can focus using the M....the RX1's EVF is superior in specs and refresh rate to the M's coming EVF, from what I have gathered (higher MP count, very little to no lag in refresh rate on the RX1). As douglas mentioned, an RX with built in EVF and 50 mm equiv would have been better suited to my taste, but the 35 mm frame line works well as well...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #90
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    So what I understand from what I am from the above posts (other than pears) is that if the RX-1 had an EVF (which is coming-maybe even before the M is released) or an OVF (which is currently offered) then it might be a better option for street/candid/environmental portraiture use.
    It really just depends on how much you enjoy rangefinder photography. I think I burned through 4 mirrorless bodies in two years in an attempt to find something that suited me, in terms of enjoyment. When I finally sucked it up and bought a digital M, it finally felt just right.

    At the risk of a car analogy, it's kind of like comparing a Suburu WRX to an older Porsche. One may be technologically superior, while the other may be more fun to drive.

  41. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    The main reason I am exploring small AF cameras as my eyesight is failing and the M will help with EVF, but any camera that I have to hold out to use is a forget it for me. I just do not know if Sony offers up -7 diopter correction.

    I got my 5D3 for AF and I must say that the Canon has those little things that count for me. For example, you can get a -4 diopter padded eye piece (US$32) and use it with the on body diopter wheel to dial in up -7 if needed. OK it does not correct for astigmatism, but luckily mine is minor.

    If Leica has an older group who need more help with focusing, which I constantly read about all over the place, why can't they offer up to -7 correction eye pieces? The only way I can use my M9 is with the Walter eyepiece-$600!

    On LL Reichman mentioned if they were put an EVF into the RX-1 then it would have to be bigger, defeating some of its small package benefits.

    To use the auto analogy, if you can't see out of the windshield of one car over the other, your choices are limited, get the car that you can drive. I know about cars having raced for 52 years and having to give it up this year. It was very hard watching for the first time at Sebring this year during the recent PCA race. At least the guy I trained years ago now wins every race he enters.

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    The main reason I am exploring small AF cameras as my eyesight is failing and the M will help with EVF, but any camera that I have to hold out to use is a forget it for me. I just do not know if Sony offers up -7 diopter correction.

    I got my 5D3 for AF and I must say that the Canon has those little things that count for me. For example, you can get a -4 diopter padded eye piece (US$32) and use them with the on body wheel to dial in up -7 if needed. OK it does not correct for astigmatism, but luckily mine is minor.

    If Leica has an older group who need more help with focusing, which I constantly read about all over the place, why can't they offer up to -7 correction eye pieces?
    See your Optometrist while you still can.

    I was about to throw in the towel and abandon my much loved Leica Ms ... even a -5 diopter didn't cut it. I couldn't manually focus in slightly dim light to save my life.

    Diagnosed with Cataracts and Astigmatism, I went to an eye surgeon who removed the Cataracts and implanted Toric lenses to correct my astigmatism.

    I'm back to nailing focus with a Nocti 0.95 wide open in light my AF cameras are hunting in.

    -Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    See your Optometrist while you still can.

    I was about to throw in the towel and abandon my much loved Leica Ms ... even a -5 diopter didn't cut it. I couldn't manually focus in slightly dim light to save my life.

    Diagnosed with Cataracts and Astigmatism, I went to an eye surgeon who removed the Cataracts and implanted Toric lenses to correct my astigmatism.

    I'm back to nailing focus with a Nocti 0.95 wide open in light my AF cameras are hunting in.

    -Marc
    Thanks, Marc. I am 20/20 corrected now in my one good eye.

  44. #94
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    The main reason I am exploring small AF cameras as my eyesight is failing and the M will help with EVF, but any camera that I have to hold out to use is a forget it for me. I just do not know if Sony offers up -7 diopter correction.

    I got my 5D3 for AF and I must say that the Canon has those little things that count for me. For example, you can get a -4 diopter padded eye piece (US$32) and use it with the on body diopter wheel to dial in up -7 if needed. OK it does not correct for astigmatism, but luckily mine is minor.

    If Leica has an older group who need more help with focusing, which I constantly read about all over the place, why can't they offer up to -7 correction eye pieces? The only way I can use my M9 is with the Walter eyepiece-$600!

    On LL Reichman mentioned if they were put an EVF into the RX-1 then it would have to be bigger, defeating some of its small package benefits.

    To use the auto analogy, if you can't see out of the windshield of one car over the other, your choices are limited, get the car that you can drive. I know about cars having raced for 52 years and having to give it up this year. It was very hard watching for the first time at Sebring this year during the recent PCA race. At least the guy I trained years ago now wins every race he enters.
    Gotcha. If you need AF, then that is a different ballgame.

    As far as the RX1 and EVF go, I personally would have gladly traded another inch of height on the camera for a built-in EVF. Having used the NEX-5N and EVF, I found the EVF made the camera carry larger, and the EVF would get snagged on things, although I did love the tilt feature, so it's a trade off.

  45. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Gotcha. If you need AF, then that is a different ballgame.

    As far as the RX1 and EVF go, I personally would have gladly traded another inch of height on the camera for a built-in EVF. Having used the NEX-5N and EVF, I found the EVF made the camera carry larger, and the EVF would get snagged on things, although I did love the tilt feature, so it's a trade off.
    So the M will not be that much different with its EVF, I guess.

    For me, that RX-1 looks like the only small camera with AF. Just wish I could find out exactly how many minus diopters you can dial in and maybe plus get a screw-in or clip on like I explained above with the 5D3 in post #91.

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Also, I wonder if the Leica captive stores and boutiques will get first production runs, with a mere trickle going to other re-sellers?
    This is the first major release of a new body (not withstanding the M-E and Monochrom) so this is the sixty four dollar question that long-time dealers have been curious about ever since the rumors of corporate owned stores began.

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I know about cars having raced for 52 years and having to give it up this year. It was very hard watching for the first time at Sebring this year during the recent PCA race. At least the guy I trained years ago now wins every race he enters.
    Very cool. Longtime PCA member here. Will be at the TWS race in March, and Circuit of the Americas in May.

  47. #97
    Subscriber Member Chuck Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA
    Posts
    700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    See your Optometrist while you still can.

    I was about to throw in the towel and abandon my much loved Leica Ms ... even a -5 diopter didn't cut it. I couldn't manually focus in slightly dim light to save my life.

    Diagnosed with Cataracts and Astigmatism, I went to an eye surgeon who removed the Cataracts and implanted Toric lenses to correct my astigmatism.

    I'm back to nailing focus with a Nocti 0.95 wide open in light my AF cameras are hunting in.

    -Marc
    Now that is investing money into a pair of lenses we can all relate to!

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Not to take this too far off topic, but a 35mm f/2 Summicron cost a little more than an RX-1. If you like working with two cameras, instead of buying the Leica lens, you could get the sensor-with-lens product from Sony. With the new test reports coming out for the RX-1, you could end up with a better lens as well.

  49. #99
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Not to take this too far off topic, but a 35mm f/2 Summicron cost a little more than an RX-1. If you like working with two cameras, instead of buying the Leica lens, you could get the sensor-with-lens product from Sony. With the new test reports coming out for the RX-1, you could end up with a better lens as well.
    Maybe. But you won't be able to use that nice lens on anything else, when your RX1 is broken/superceeded/no fun anymore,

    In the UK the RX1 is 600 more than he 35 cron.

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New M Delayed Until May

    Do Adobe release candidates for M in LR 4.4 and new ACR 7.4 mean new M is highly eminent? They must have prototypes in order to develop the profiles.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •