The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M Delayed Until May

edwardkaraa

I'm not unhappy about the delays. This means to me that Leica will not launch an imperfect product and let the early adopters be the beta testers. I don't think anyone here is in such a hurry. Our Leica M9s and Monochroms are still hopefully working.

jstaben

Even more glad that I decided to go with a MM and keep my M9P...should have me covered for several years now with anything I need.

Double Negative

Not Available
Yeah, I think we'd probably all agree that it's better Leica take the time to get things right NOW rather than once it's in the wild. They got burned on the M8 and probably play it safer these days as a result.

I have no problems continuing to use my M9. ;)

wuffstuff

It might be me but I do think that the longer the camera takes to become available the more technology overtakes it. By the time the camera arrives it will be so far behind the competitors that the next iteration is already overdue.

Having said that, I'll still be waiting for one.

jstaben

It's already behind the competition in many ways, just comparing specs.

It is, however, the only new digital rangefinder, that also the only new camera to fully utilize M-glass as intended.

ramosa

I'm not happy about a delay, but (1) I am so low on pre-order lists that I won't be getting the camera for ages anyway and (2) I think a delay is fine if it means Leica is getting it right (before releasing it).

Jeff S

Yeah, I think we'd probably all agree that it's better Leica take the time to get things right NOW rather than once it's in the wild. They got burned on the M8 and probably play it safer these days as a result.
No matter how long it takes, I'd be astounded if there weren't still the inevitable bugs that will need to worked out by early adopters. The M9, which was essentially an M8 with a bigger sensor, still had issues with red edge, sensor cracks, card and buffer issues, etc. These weren't major, but nonetheless required time to evaluate and address.

The new M, in contrast, is a completely new camera compared to the M9, with mostly all new innards, and with a lot of first time implementations by Leica. I can't imagine a 'perfect' release from the start. But, unlike many others, I won't waste time faulting Leica. I still prefer my M8.2s to the M9 and am perfectly content until something else better meets my needs and preferences, and that proves to be sorted and reliable.

I take the same approach with most any device with new technologies, e.g., appliances, cars, or whatever. I'm thankful, though, that many others aren't like me and willingly buy from the outset.

Jeff

Double Negative

Not Available
^

I would have to agree with you, on multiple levels. The M9 was basically a bigger sensored M8 and look at the issues there. Now granted, a lot of those centered around the full frame sensor (e.g. cracking, colorations, etc.). Thankfully some of those were fixable in firmware.

The M240 is a whole new paradigm, so one can imagine the amount of new issues that could potentially crop up... Let's hope it doesn't end up like that.

It's already behind the competition in many ways, just comparing specs.

It is, however, the only new digital rangefinder, that also the only new camera to fully utilize M-glass as intended.
For better or for worse, this is pretty much the way it is.

CVickery

I can wait. I bought the M9 last fall thinking it would be a least a year before I'd be comfortable that the bugs were worked out of the M240.

Godfrey

I guess I'm just not all that impatient. I'd much rather they get it right to their satisfaction than release it before that point.

Of course, the Leicaphile culture seems to always work this way with every new camera Leica announces:
"The last version was near perfect. Now they've screwed it all up, and it's obsolete already. Too bad it isn't released yet."

LOL!

G

Duane Pandorf

I'm enjoying my M-E (my first Leica) and did not want to wait to start my experience. I figured if I did wait for the M240 I had no idea how long the wait would be since it was just in the last month I made this decision. No telling how far down the wait list I'd be placed.

Godfrey

Good call, Duane! The new M will bring more to the table, but your M-E and my M9 are no less relevant or proficient for the work they can do now. I'd rather enjoy the M9's capabilities and see what the new M brings in its time.

G

ashwinrao1

Glad I have kept the M9 in hand. I suspect that if the first batch will be released in May (and possibly later in the US, given that MM allocations were tight here for the first 3 months), I doubt that anyone other than a lucky handful will have their M's before mid summer, and a more realistic projection on people getting theirs will be later summer/early fall...

I too would rather Leica get it right the first time around. Hopefully they work on high ISO banding at ISO 6400. That would be key, along with insuring the full capacity for expanding dynamic range within the limits of the sensor, in addition to getting the colors right.

More time for me to save up ;)

Duane Pandorf

Good call, Duane! The new M will bring more to the table, but your M-E and my M9 are no less relevant or proficient for the work they can do now. I'd rather enjoy the M9's capabilities and see what the new M brings in its time.

G
I need just one more lens to complete my basic travel kit, and that will be a Leica 28mm Elmarit. I know there's plenty of choices out there but I'd like to keep my travel stable all under the Leica brand. By not waiting for the M I can justify the price difference in glass.

Godfrey

I need just one more lens to complete my basic travel kit, and that will be a Leica 28mm Elmarit. I know there's plenty of choices out there but I'd like to keep my travel stable all under the Leica brand. By not waiting for the M I can justify the price difference in glass.
Once upon a time, my Leica kit was all L lenses. Nowadays, though, I find I like the diversity in rendering that certain lenses from Voigtländer and Zeiss offer. I particularly like the Color Skopar series ... Have all but the 25mm, 21/28/35/50. The Nokton 50/1.5 and 40/1.4 are delightful and fast (that 50 is my M9 go to lens). The Ultron 28/2 works very well, the M-Rokkor 40/2 II is really the same as a Summicron-C but with a better coating, the M-Rokkor 90 is actually the same as the Elmar-C 90 ... Both made by Leica on the same production line. The Hektor 135/4.5 is old Leica through and through. I'll one day add the Zeiss Biogon 25/2.8 ZM as I've seen nothing to compete with it, really.

My travel kit is usually three of them: 21, 40 or 50, and 90. And a Skink pinhole lens. But I have four M-mount bodies, what might seem an excess of lenses actually just guarantees that I have enough lenses to go around if I want to use a couple of bodies in combination.

G

Double Negative

Not Available
A pocketful of Skopars makes a killer travel kit. I went with the LTM versions as they're even smaller than the newer M mount ones.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There is no evidence that taking more time will insure that Leica gets it right . The MONO seems to be an exception but with the M8,M9,S2 and numerous new lens designs Leica has not gotten it right . There have been flaws in each of the other product launches .

To a great extent this goes with the fact that Leica is a very small manufacturer of high precision equipment . They are dependent as most camera companies are ..on a small number of specialty suppliers . (which in themselves aren t particularly reliable ).

The other major problem area is always that the software just isn t done . My guess is that the new M will be more dependent on in camera processing (Maestro) than even the S2 . Brand new sensor from a new supplier , high performance Maestro processor , movies,live view and what must be some of the highest expectations for IQ ...no one said it was easy .

They identified some unanticipated problem and decided to work it thru before they launch ....no evidence to suggest that they will be doing additional beta testing to flush out problems before higher production rates .

Its easy to support not launching a new product with known issues ....but focusing Photokina around a flagship product thats 9 months from first shipments ? Nothing good about hearing of yet another delay .

rayyan

+1 to what Roger said in the post above.

But it is with interest, and a bit of amusement, I note that even delays by this company are a matter of support from the flock.

Compare this with the savagery for possession with which the previous introductions of the M were received. The faithful were tripping over themselves to get their hands on one! And consuming bandwidth on this and other forums to talk about the wunder-M.

Along with the boasting rights and no doubt the pleasure of owning the newest at the earliest.

As for me, I shall pass this iteration of the M-240 and see what the 241 brings, when emotional purchases fade a little and a product has been put under scrutiny.

Regards.