The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono Slack's piece on the M(240)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Well done Jono ... lovely images. In the end, that's what it's all about. There are so many vehicles that a photographer can use to get to that end result. But it has to be a camera that mostly gets out of your way. Thanks for adding a few details about the discussions on the evolution of the design.

The new 50mm summicron looks like it's a pleasure to use. It looks like it delivers such a high consistency.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Excellent report Jono ....hard work I know ...but you appear to be having quite a lot of fun in the process. Copenhagen,Venice etc .. LOL

Shashin

...I was referring to the idea of starting from scratch with each new design....
Hey! From left to right--1966, Electro-Zoom X; 2003, Dimage Z1; 2012, Nex 7. And the Nex cameras sport the same grip as the Dimage 7 of 2001. Now that is tradition! You could argue they are throwing out the baby and keeping the bath water...

wuffstuff

Jono, I very much regard you as one of the people with regard to camera usage and as such your view is reflective of real world photography.

Your comments, like those of Ming Thein, have excellent real world validity and are not full of complex and deep technical data as some others are.

A typical user really wants know what do we gain over what we have now. It does seem the answer is not very much unless the live view, video and EVF is attractive.

None of the bells and whistles have any attraction for me, and I'm sure for many others, and I may wait until the next iteration before releasing £5k for this beta version.

By the way, your photos taken with the M are superb, but then so are your M9 photos.

jonoslack

Hi There
Thanks for the kind words about my photos.
A typical user really wants know what do we gain over what we have now. It does seem the answer is not very much unless the live view, video and EVF is attractive.

None of the bells and whistles have any attraction for me, and I'm sure for many others, and I may wait until the next iteration before releasing £5k for this beta version.
I think the bells and whistles rather obscure the real and radical advance over the M9 - just from a functional point of view it's a radical difference:

much quieter and smoother shutter (quieter than an M6)
faster processer
weather sealing
longer battery life
better ergonomics
more reliable SD card handling

. . . . I could go on!

V

Vivek

I felt it was a very short piece on the camera. The next one from Jono is going to be like this?

"Buy this camera!"

Always refreshing, Jono. I am not bothered to look at the other online "reviews" not just because I have no interest in buying the new M.

wuffstuff

much quieter and smoother shutter (quieter than an M6)
faster processer
weather sealing
longer battery life
better ergonomics
more reliable SD card handling
All of the above should have been on the M9P.

Anyway, apart from these things then, what did the Romans ever do for us?

jonoslack

I felt it was a very short piece on the camera. The next one from Jono is going to be like this?

"Buy this camera!"
:ROTFL: too easily pleased eh! You reckon I should be more verbose about it?
I
Always refreshing, Jono. I am not bothered to look at the other online "reviews" not just because I have no interest in buying the new M.
Glad you enjoyed it. Have you got your MM yet?
All the best

Godfrey

HI there

Here's my piece on the new Leica - I hope you enjoy it.

Testing the M(240)

all the best
Sat down and read through the whole piece this morning. And looked at all your photos. Nicely done indeed, and as much as I'd need to know to ascertain my interest in the new M before going to see one in the flesh. I particularly like your take on seeing it as two cameras ... the latest in the long line of M rangefinder cameras, and first in a new tech world of Live View M cameras.

(I would like to see you put in a slide show on the photos. Makes it easier to review the whole set, then go back to look at individual photos I might be interested in.)

To me, the signal items that make the new M interesting are the improvements in responsiveness, weather sealing, the new dial and thumb rest. The Live View capabilities extend its use to include my favorite macro lenses and the occasional long tele, both of lesser importance but would help me simplify my camera collection to some degree too.

thanks for the effort!

Godfrey

sisoje

Great read!
A question I could not find an answer so far in any M240 reviews:
When using (Leica R 28-90) SLR lens on M240, what profile is needed in menus? Does Leica R adapter has a "live connection" with the lens and pass the info. On what focal length is used in he image to apply "proper amount" of "correction"?
What about 3rd party (wide angle) zoom lenses? Other adapters will not have any "live connection" with M240 body... Let's say an excellent Nikon 28-70/2.8 on M240?

jonoslack

Great read!
A question I could not find an answer so far in any M240 reviews:
When using (Leica R 28-90) SLR lens on M240, what profile is needed in menus? Does Leica R adapter has a "live connection" with the lens and pass the info. On what focal length is used in he image to apply "proper amount" of "correction"?
What about 3rd party (wide angle) zoom lenses? Other adapters will not have any "live connection" with M240 body... Let's say an excellent Nikon 28-70/2.8 on M240?
Hi There
I'm 99% certain that there are no lens corrections for any R lenses, and that coding is only for convenience. Which would mean your excellent Nikon would also be fine. SLR lenses are relatively much more telecentric than M lenses, and with the rear element much further from the lens. Making corrections unnecessary.
All the best

jonoslack

Sat down and read through the whole piece this morning. And looked at all your photos. Nicely done indeed, and as much as I'd need to know to ascertain my interest in the new M before going to see one in the flesh. I particularly like your take on seeing it as two cameras ... the latest in the long line of M rangefinder cameras, and first in a new tech world of Live View M cameras.

(I would like to see you put in a slide show on the photos. Makes it easier to review the whole set, then go back to look at individual photos I might be interested in.)

To me, the signal items that make the new M interesting are the improvements in responsiveness, weather sealing, the new dial and thumb rest. The Live View capabilities extend its use to include my favorite macro lenses and the occasional long tele, both of lesser importance but would help me simplify my camera collection to some degree too.

thanks for the effort!

Godfrey
Hi Godfrey. Thanks for the message. Glad you enjoyed it. I must pull my finger out with respect to slide shows. I really don't want to use flash. It's just working out the best way of doing it.
All the best

Godfrey

I'm sure Jono will comment, but I seem to recall reading that when the Leica mount adapter is used, the M body provides a range of R lens codes to use. Whether it has enough info to set a lens code automatically ... Jono? :)

Great piece, wonderful images as always. Now you have me leaning back a little Jono! And I am a sucker for smooth quiet shutters!!

V

Vivek

:ROTFL: too easily pleased eh! You reckon I should be more verbose about it?

Glad you enjoyed it. Have you got your MM yet?
All the best
No, I think it is exactly right (genau richtig), being a German camera and all. :ROTFL:

Still waiting...soon, I hope. :)

Amin

Wonderful photographs, Jono. Genuinely useful and enoyable write-up as well. The new M sounds like a camera I'd love to have, but beyond my budget (at least for a manual focus camera). On a related note, my brother gifted me a beautiful M6 today, my first Leica M, which I'm looking forward to using.

jaknight

Thank you Jono for sharing your feelings for this camera, and showing us something of what its capabilities. Lovely images.