The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lens distance scale

gooomz

in using the distance scale on my m lenses, that is the distance from subject to sensor correct?

not from subject to end of lens where a filter may be.

the reason i ask is when i prefocus in advance and i am shooting just based on distance from subject.

thank you

Leigh

The engraved distance is from the film plane to the subject.

The film plane should be identified on the camera body with a lateral line through a circle. The line is the film plane.

- Leigh

Leigh

I'm not familiar with the M9 so I don't know.

The line-and-circle icon has been standard in cameras for at least 60 years that I know of.

- Leigh

is that on the bottom plate of the m9?
No marking anywhere on the M9. For the purposes of the OP, measuring 28 mm backwards from the front of the bayonet ring is accurate enough.

That said, none of the common Leica lenses focus closely enough, or has a scale detailed enough, for the difference to really matter. For using macro or closeup gear, it does.